Gameplay: Naval warfare? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Are we done here?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2011-07-28, 10:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Sovereign
Staff Sergeant

Question Naval warfare?

So the basis on this is if we have bases now based in all levels of theater, mountains, deserts etc

Why not have sea bases which would complement the ongoing theme in this game which seems to be a conditional warfare ex in the case of mountain bases where air superiority is king and in this case it would be navy based.

Ideally the two eventually collide and we can have some form of aircraft carrier in game, hoorah!

Not that I think they'll truly consider it, just throwing out it out there..
Old 2011-07-28, 10:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Naval warfare?

I don't understand your post at all.
Old 2011-07-29, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

I do believe something like this is planned for Planetside. Only when I think "naval" combat and consider Planetside is sci-fi, I'm thinking a vacuum, outfit owned cruisers/frigates/battleships, an orbital station that supports the home team via commanders planetside, a lot of fighters, bombers, and the only place where (Gundam-esque) mechs belong as a substitute for otherwise tiny infantry...

I'm thinking of Space. Should give our fighter pilot and gundam/mech enthusiasts what they want (even if the latter is really just big infantry.)

Of course, water based naval warfare might not be so bad either, but as most combat is meant to take place over land via the hex system, seaside combat will most likely involve ships bombarding a shore while troops are shipping in via deliverers and galaxies.

They are also planning to have multiple planets in Planetside after all. It would be cool for the invading force to, y'know, invade. Would also be cool if they went with fewer planets that had 3+ continents each at least for a more fulfilling world take-over, but that's for another discussion.
Old 2011-08-03, 09:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Can we get T-Ray to sing "i'm on a boat" using a vocoder
Old 2011-08-03, 11:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Clown Phoenix
Private

I am hugely in favor of Naval Warfare idea, adding another dimension to the game. It has oceans, so why not cross them with ships? Ships could be used as transport for tanks, as well as used to bombard bases near the shore.

The added advantage of bases in the ocean makes them contestable as well. If we think about why we want land, it's to gain resources. Therefore, why can't we control areas of the ocean? They can provide oil, fish, hydroelectric power, and possibly underwater mines. Seems like a good idea to me.
Old 2011-08-04, 11:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

The PS universe seems like it would accommodate some water battles nicely. Rather than have huge open oceans, though, I think it would make much more sense to have oil-rig type bases just off shore, so they could be quickly reached by Deliverers, Magriders, and air vehicles.

Having water bases close to land would also provide some interesting opportunities, like tanks shelling the base from the shore, snipers firing at (and from) the rig, and Galaxy squads dropping onto the base. The defending team would also be heavily focused on AA, which would make water vehicles that much more critical.

All in all, something like this could be the simplest addition with the biggest impact on tactics, and I think it could be a ton of fun.

-HC13
Old 2011-08-04, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
WarChimp130
Master Sergeant

I am all for Naval Combat in some way shape or form. I always felt all that water was going terribly underutilized. I felt they should have made some off shore "NTU Rigs" that we could have fought over that would allow all linked bases to refill NTU automatically.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault