An Idea for a new facility - Underground Mining Facility - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: ProSiebenSat.1 the day the world stood still.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-02-24, 03:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
fierce deity
Sergeant

An Idea for a new facility - Underground Mining Facility

Hello Everyone,

I came about this idea through thinking about how to make the flashlight useful. Currently it is the most useless attachment to any weapon because it makes the user a really obvious target. Here's my solution: make an underground infantry only facility with the same importance as Amp Stations, Bio-labs, Tech Plants, and the upcoming Interlink Facility. Here's how I would implement such an idea.

Firstly the facility would be a sprawling, dimly lit area, with large main rooms connected by a maze-like network of narrow, low ceiling, corridors. Make these really confusing to navigate with some corridors dead ending in small rooms, looping back to other corridors elsewhere in the base, or taking you back to the entrance. Maybe have one large room with the Capture point in the center of the facility, and Three larger rooms surrounding it. Place shield generators guarding the central room in 2 of the rooms and the SCU shield in the third. Place the SCU in one of the small dead end rooms. Access to the facility from the outside is controlled by teleporter rooms randomly placed throughout the continent. The faction that controls the facility gets a spawn room connected to the large rooms and the SCU room by rapid transit tunnels like those in place in the Tech Plants and Amp Stations.

Secondly attacking the base would work like this. Attackers push in from the teleporters through the small corridors to the large rooms with the generators. At this stage the facility lighting is dim enough that the NV scope or the flashlight would provide a real visibility advantage. The flashlight could gain the ability to cast a glare effect on NV scopes at this point. Once one of the shields are down, the lights go entirely out. People without NV or a flashlight would still be able to see a little but are at a severe vision disadvantage. Muzzle flash provides a little bit of extra lighting. Here the flashlight would come into its own if it temporarily blinded NV users and cast a glare effect on those without NV when they look directly at the light.

Finally, the facility being a huge mine, the bonus for holding the facility could be a resource gain multiplier for the faction holding the facility. If this base is introduced with a resource gain revamp that makes resources a truly limited resource, this could instantly become a key facility to hold on to.

Discuss.
Old 2013-02-24, 07:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
zulu
Corporal

Re: An Idea for a new facility - Underground Mining Facility

I like the idea of an underground facility (I understand the tunnel systems in PS1 didn't work so well, but it could be done better, I think), but I think the problem with your idea is that the facility isn't really well-integrated into the larger continent.

Right now conquest only really happens if:
1) It's needed to attack the Crown, or
2) Outfits are actively attempting to warpgate the other factions.

Resources are almost useless right now. They're only necessary for stockpiling infantry consumables or if you're really running through Sunderers at a good clip. Nobody takes territory for the resources. So if this facility is just a place you can choose to teleport to, I don't think anyone is going to try to take it unless everyone else is there and it's a good place to earn certs.

I think it might be interesting to add a system of tunnels into the base of the Crown on Indar -- an alternative to trying to fight your way up the hill, though one that favors the defenders in a variety of other ways. More tunnels could be added to the other facilities, perhaps with control points in them.
Old 2013-02-26, 09:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: An Idea for a new facility - Underground Mining Facility

Add this to the all-ready growing underground bases list. Sadly the devs haven't expressed much interest in doing this but seeing as they have been able to make underground tunnels I do hope they a constant amount of pressure will be able to pursuade them to reconsider. I would allow for some much needed infantry focused action.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion