A Beta feature might be coming back. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: This aint a beer belly, its a fuel tank for a sex machine!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-10-26, 05:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Chewy
Major

A Beta feature might be coming back.

THE NIGHT!

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...r-once.155628/

Test server nights are back to Beta darkness from what Iv been hearing. If this makes it to live then I'll be a happy fur ball.

Edit:
"We've all been reading the feedback, and discussing our own impressions of the lighting changes on Indar over the last week. Some changes went in on Friday evening that I wanted to let simmer unannounced to see if there was any spontaneous reaction to before writing this all out.
The super dark nights on Indar have been backed down greatly. Instead, the super dark settings were kept only for when the main moon isn't visible in the sky. So just right after sunset and right before dawn. We felt the feedback was positive enough to leave it intact in one form or another. But what led us to back down from the initial changes is that it really requires too many backup systems to make it as fun as we want it. From reading everyone's feedback on the forums, the discussion focused more on how to add gameplay systems that complement the dark night. Since we don't have those systems now, putting in the super dark evenings will just be adding a feature lacking any complementary features to make it really shine and be fun for everyone.
To help compensate, we'll also be shifting the Amerish cycle 12 hours. So if evening just isn't your thing on Indar, it should be noon on Amerish (and vice versa). This should sneak it's way up to Live once all the OMFG stuff gets up there too."

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...-indar.156615/

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-11-05 at 04:18 AM.
Old 2013-10-26, 06:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Calista
Second Lieutenant

Re: A Beta feature might be coming back.

They should make it total darkness 24x7. Would seriously boost frame rates that way
Old 2013-10-27, 12:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Snoopy
Sergeant

This is good. Maybe flash lights, headlights, etc may have a place in the game now
Old 2013-10-27, 12:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

Old 2013-10-27, 12:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
typhaon
Sergeant Major

Aesthetically... great!

Balance-wise... a nice buff for Vanu?
Old 2013-10-27, 02:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
AThreatToYou
Major

Let's not forget that while TR armors have a high tidbit of red, they also have a nice portion of grey.

However, human eyes are more sensitive to red than they are to both blue [NC primary] and purple [VS]. The NC's yellow, which is second only to green in human sensitivity, balances out the blue.

VS will be super-sneaky in this dark. While it's already true the VS blend in the greyness with their mostly grey armors, their vehicles and the like will blend in too due to eyes just being less sensitive to the VS colors...
Old 2013-10-27, 02:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Chewy
Major

Although this would certainly be a buff to the VS, I frankly don't give a shit. I want dark nights and if this goes to live I'll be looking like this.
http://i.imgur.com/9fn1C.png

If this doesn't make it to live,well.
http://i.qkme.me/35mkyw.jpg

But I do have to say that dark nights would might hurt vehicle gameplay. It would be a LOT easier for someone to C4 something in dark than what we have now. To be honest I just want to have options. Dark nights gives infantry options in how to attack or defend.

To balance things a bit, just put a minor bit of glow on a factions logo. Not decals that can be hidden with armor, the factions logo itself.
Old 2013-10-27, 04:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
ringring
Contributor
General

Yet another reason not to play.
Old 2013-10-27, 06:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Blynd
First Sergeant

Great news but for those complaining about colours please go look in the depot and stop complaining.

I came across a tr in pure black camo. The nc loyal soldier camp that everyones got is very dark more black then blue and no yellow at all so guys stop the bitchin
Old 2013-10-27, 06:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
ketarakh
Private

Is it with brightness maxed out?
Old 2013-10-27, 06:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

Hyper Camo, $5 for all factions, Mostly all black with very small patches of faction specific color, it's the poor mans Night Stealth camo. There's also Greyscale Camo, Black with small lines of white/grey.

Ambushes will be so awesome!

Last edited by HereticusXZ; 2013-10-27 at 06:31 AM.
Old 2013-10-27, 07:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Eggy
Sergeant

This should have an element of randomness linked to it, to suit all gameplay types.
Not every night needs to be super dark and also the length of darkness doesnt need to be the same. It could even be linked to weather.

Being in a vehicle wasnt fun at many times in beta when it was super dark.
Old 2013-10-27, 07:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Carbon Copied
First Sergeant

No real problem with super dark nights - if anything it adds that decision of do I equip NV/Thermal or not for this encounter; however this doesn't apply as much to vehicles when in the 3rd person and they can't can't change on the fly like infantry. Failing that people can just look more fabulous darling at night with lumifibre on.

Possible tie in with the Halloween theme though?
Old 2013-10-27, 08:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
camycamera
Major

Originally Posted by Carbon Copied View Post

Possible tie in with the Halloween theme though?
that actually makes sense.....
Old 2013-10-27, 08:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

Thermal Optics, Night Vision Optics, Scout Radar, vehicles have no excuse to dislike the night. Your gearing your vehicle with situational loadouts based on the fight your going to anyways, So whats the problem with optics at night?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion