Force Doors - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: couldn't dodge it even if I wanted to
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-01-24, 07:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
BadAsh
First Lieutenant

Force Doors

I have an idea for revamping the doors in Planet Side. I hate the current doors as they are ugly and are nasty when combined with a little lag. I can�t stand when I try to go through a door and it just won�t open. I suggest replacing all of the doors in the game with an opaque force field that is the color of the empire controlling the facility or tower (red, blue, purple, or green-if neutral). This force field door would allow friendly troops to pass through and be a solid barrier to enemy troops. If the door is hacked then it should become partially transparent denoting that it is hacked. During this time (I�m not sure how long doors stay hacked) enemy troops friendly to the hacker may pass through. If the facility loses power then the force door should turn the partially transparent coloration denoting a compromised status. Finally, I�d add a distinctive sound of someone passing through the barrier. Currently anyone passing through a door sets off the loud door opening sound. I�d like to keep that aspect intact so that passing through a door always runs to risk of giving your position away like it currently does.

This will eliminate the nasty door lag you almost always have to deal with and make bases a little more secure because you can�t accidentally let an enemy in and you can easily see if the door has been compromised (hacked).

Besides MAX units that count on a careless enemy to let them in I can�t think of anything negative about this idea? What do you guys think?
Old 2004-01-24, 07:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
xmodum
Colonel

well ...will bullets be able to pass through?if so dont u think spawn camping would become to easy?
plus ... as my cloaker char , i like that somethimes when enemy's open a dorr and dont notice me .. i can just run in it as it is opened.... if u made a sound all the time when u went through it ,and still had to hack it ..... this would lead to some cloakers to br upset
i think it would be kool (YES KOOL Dhark) but cloakers would be at a disadvantage
Old 2004-01-24, 07:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Morrik
Contributor
Corporal

I honestly don't think there's anything wrong with the doors. Sure, there is always going to be lag, but they're not really a terrible design aspect. It's a door, how many variations can you get?
Old 2004-01-24, 08:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Chaaos
Master Sergeant

Can't count the number of times I've died running for cover and standing there getting shot to death waiting for a door to open... and it never does.

Old 2004-01-24, 08:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
martyr
Contributor
Brigadier General

Misc Info

think about the door lag for a minute.

you lag because you suddenly have to load all the textures on the other side of the door.

with a transparent door, you have to have those extra textures loaded all the time... it would hurt your fps a lot.
Old 2004-01-24, 08:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
FOEHAMMER007
Private

the doors are really fine they can get laggy but thats about it i would rather keep the doors how they are
Old 2004-01-24, 08:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
xmodum
Colonel

yea
Old 2004-01-24, 09:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
BadAsh
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by martyr
think about the door lag for a minute.

you lag because you suddenly have to load all the textures on the other side of the door.

with a transparent door, you have to have those extra textures loaded all the time... it would hurt your fps a lot.
Actually I think you are lagging because you are waiting for the door animation to play out... ever notice how when someone dies in a doorway you and it stays open you can pass in an out with no lag... but as soon as that door closes and you have to walk through... lagomatic returns... so I'm suspicious of when you actually load what... also in the Tech Facility.. how come I can look out the windoes at the top of the base... I see everything real time no problem... but pass through the door 3 feet over and you can lag while it's "stuck" shut...

I never experience this when passting through force walls like shield module fields and warp gate barriers...

Hmmm... I did not think about cloakers... lemme think about that one...

Oh, and yes, you can't shoot through the barrier door even is hacked and semi-transparent...
Old 2004-01-24, 11:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
UncleDynamite
Lieutenant Colonel

I'm kinda neutral on the doors: I like how they are now, but I agree that they can be problematic sometimes. I don't they should be changed anytime soon, but if they do, I think this would be a great idea to implement.
Old 2004-01-24, 11:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

BadAsh raises some pretty interesting points there.

I never used to lag passing through doors, and then all the sudden they announced some 'fixes' for lag and now I get lag at doors, stupid-looking animation culling effects, the works. How about when you look at a vehicle and see the animation of the guy exiting the vehicle five or six times in a row? Show that to a n00b and watch him hold back a chuckle.

Is this game getting deliberately screwed so SW:G won't seem so utterly amateurish by comparison? No? Well what the hell is it?

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

PlanetSide player, retired
Old 2004-01-25, 12:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
BUGGER
Major General

Misc Info

The only time i got problems with the door is at the sanc, and apperently theres no enemys nearby. So i'm fine.

http://mrchevys3.blogspot.com/

Living is easy with eyes closed.
Old 2004-01-25, 01:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Brigadier General

Misc Info

I used to lag a bit at doors sometimes but now I never do. I just hate it when the door doesn't open and you die because of it.
Old 2004-01-25, 05:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
DeadTeddy
Sergeant Major

it's not lag, it's loading time. only way to get rid of it is getting a faster PC.
Old 2004-01-25, 12:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Chaaos
Master Sergeant

When it will not open it just will not open. If it was load time my processor would be working and i would loose FPS. When i stand there walking around like normal and not frozen, as if it was loading more textures, its just that the door will not open. The door load time lag I get is usually only in the sanc.
Old 2004-01-25, 12:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

How about just lower the field completely when it's hacked or powered down, to allow shots through, would give a bit of love to the cloakers (no pesky open/close sounds when the gen is down) and would eliminate some of the possible annoyances.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion