Allow customization of your gun sounds? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: VS: Very Stupid
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Allow customization of your gun sounds?
Yes, I want to be able to buy new sounds 24 28.24%
No, force one sound per gun 61 71.76%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-04-19, 01:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Lightbulb Allow customization of your gun sounds?

Great, rich sound effects = great immersion. For me,the icing on the cake for a kill, is when the gun you just fired sounds.....cool.

I'd like to know people's opinions on this: If there was a sound shop for infantry weapons, would you be interested in further customizing your experience - (a customization you will be aware of most of the time I might add).

Or would you want sounds to be locked to their weapons forever?

I'm not talking big changes to weapon sounds, maybe 3 per gun and they would all be recognisable to their empire. But you get what you want, not what someone else decides.

Vote now!
Thanks for reading.

Old 2012-04-19, 02:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Allow customization of your gun sounds?

I think gun noises should be recognizable easily.
Old 2012-04-19, 02:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

This is a pretty cool idea Ruff. Muzzle sound modifications are a great sidegrade idea that I think a ton of players would go for.
Old 2012-04-19, 02:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Sounds like a good idea! Poor attempts at making bad puns aside, the more customisation they allow, the better. Even if they just tied additional sound effect changes to certain types of ammo, muzzle brakes, or silencers that you could buy from the cash-shop and didn't specifically allow you to choose a sound effect i would still be pretty impressed

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-04-19, 02:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Knocky
Major

Hell no.

Sounds are one of the key ways to know that the enemy is approaching your location.

Coming out of the tubes you hear a Cycler or MCG....you better not be thinking, "oh cool custom sounds". Your ass better be thinking that you are about to lose your spawn tubes.

This is why I LOATH when they have all empire vehicle weekends.

I hear a Magrider from the tower I am in, I grab my Punisher (EMP) and Phoenix and run to the top and then get all pissy when I see a blue Mag.

Last edited by Knocky; 2012-04-19 at 02:22 AM.
Old 2012-04-19, 02:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Knocky View Post
I hear a Magrider from the tower I am in, I grab my Punisher (EMP) and Phoenix and run to the top and then get all pissy when I see a blue Mag.
How's that any different than being fooled by a jacked enemy vehicle or a teammate using a looted Lasher?
Old 2012-04-19, 02:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Knocky
Major

Originally Posted by headcrab13 View Post
How's that any different than being fooled by a jacked enemy vehicle or a teammate using a looted Lasher?
Looted weapons are a significantly decreased percentage compared to players running to a vehicle terminal and freely pulling enemy equipment.

And yes....I am very happy about no looting of enemy weapons in PS2.

I am saddened that we cant jack vehicles though. I would have had a jacked vehicle decon after a minute or two in PS2.

Last edited by Knocky; 2012-04-19 at 02:33 AM.
Old 2012-04-19, 02:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

Looted weapons are a significantly decreased percentage compared to players running to a vehicle terminal and freely pulling enemy equipment.
Sure, but I never said you should be able to modify your weapons to sound like an enemy's. What if there were a handful of variations to each weapon's sound to give it a little character and allow further customization, just like how you could pick different voices in Planetside?

That way you'd still know when an enemy faction was nearby, but also have some variety in your own weapon mods.

And let's not forget that some of the greatest multiplayer shooters of all time pit you against enemies using the same guns that you have, so that's not necessarily a bad thing. Even Planetside had common-pool weapons...

Last edited by headcrab13; 2012-04-19 at 03:02 AM.
Old 2012-04-19, 03:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

The easiest way to do this would be to have the sound changes local, so it only affects what you hear. There's really no need to have other people hear the same sound you do when you shoot your gun.
Old 2012-04-19, 04:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Tamas
Staff Sergeant

Hell no.

Sounds are one of the key ways to know that the enemy is approaching your location.

Coming out of the tubes you hear a Cycler or MCG....you better not be thinking, "oh cool custom sounds". Your ass better be thinking that you are about to lose your spawn tubes.

Don't know about you, but if I hear the enemy I go -ha, what an idiot, now I know where he is = free frag.

Yes, I use silencers on most of my guns because:
a) they sound badass
b) The enemy never hears me.

Oh the joy when you flank the enemy with a suppressed weapon and mow down ~15 people because they don't hear you killing everything.

On a side note - gun sounds are important, I just wonder if specializations will change the sound - we know that we can get Gauss rifle fire faster (change the gun rof, damage) - but does sound change with the adjustments you make? A hard hitting Cycler? F fast firing Gauss?
Old 2012-04-19, 04:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Cosmical
Contributor
Cosmic Comics

Louder Guns Please!!

Chinese New Year 1 / Chinese New Year 2 A Comic about mediocrity.... and bizarre stuff.
Old 2012-04-19, 05:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Fenrod
Sergeant

Misc Info

Wait, what do you mean ?

You want a sound shop ? Where you can actually BUY sounds ? With real money ?
Old 2012-04-19, 05:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Hell no.

This. Weapons Need to be recognizable based on sound alone. Besides, you can easily add an attachment to a weapon or give it a new paint job. But the basic sound signature hardly ever changes unless you attach something like a suppressor to it.

And yeah, I get pissy whenever I see blue Mags too. Mags should be purple. End of story.

Although it is funny as hell to watch some TR/NC try treat Mags like they would Prowlers or Vanguards only to die horribly trying to muscle into a defended cy with a few of them...

Last edited by Erendil; 2012-04-19 at 06:18 AM.
Old 2012-04-19, 07:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
SKYeXile
Major General

Hell no.

exactly, just like when you here this sound:

you know that Future Crew is bailing on your shit.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL

Last edited by SKYeXile; 2012-04-19 at 07:33 AM.
Old 2012-04-19, 07:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Fenrod
Sergeant

Misc Info

Well, for the moment, it's raining nothing but shitty ideas.
I suggest you guys stop those and wait for the beta.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion