Inventory system being removed!!!!!!!????? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If it were up to Dio you'd all be banned.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-08-09, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Willylou
Private

Inventory system being removed!!!!!!!?????

• What features have been removed? Inventories(at least as free-form as it is now), sanctuaries, and vehicle entering animations.
Inventory system being removed!!!!!!!??????????????

Please do not do that to planetside 2.
It will remove what is great about Planetside the customizations of your character to what you Like to use in the game. Not to mention picking up an enemy gun or picking up ammo from an enemy bag to get more ammo that is all most out. The surprise of finding a set up that works or reworking a set up let the gamer be creative.
It is the main reason Planetside has been up for 8 years it does not get boring.
Please try to work the inventory system into planetside 2 it’s not brain surgery.
If you don’t put an inventory system in planetside 2 it will be a lame copy of
Battlefeild bad company 2 or Halo this is not any those other game
This IS Fu@^ing PLANETSIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post on this for your support for customizable inventory packs!!
Old 2011-08-10, 09:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Re: Inventory system being removed!!!!!!!?????

Originally Posted by Willylou View Post
It is the main reason Planetside has been up for 8 years it does not get boring.
I don't know about that!

However, i am also sad to hear about the inventory system being removed. Even though I actually hate using the inventory in PS1 when i am in a heated situation. It's pretty clumsy for in an FPS to change to my mouse to switch a grenade out, or swapping my REK for my CUD however, i still loved the ability to customise the balance of how many support items or additional weapons or ammo were available to me on the field. Oh, and the scavenging for medikits and ammo!

The clumsy mouse clicking could easily be replaced with a menu for swapping active weapons/support items, however i have a feeling they have already reationalised it out as largely incompatible with their concepts of classes.

I like the idea of players dropping maybe 1 random item when then die... phaat leeewwwtz
Old 2011-08-11, 01:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Crazyduckling
First Sergeant

I'm sure they won't get rid of it completely. You will probably be able to choose armor type, weapons, custom sights, side arms, grenades, and maybe some level of ammo customization, but you just won't have the grid where you lay everything out. This is just to limit you from being the Super Medic Repair Commanding Hacker with Heavy Weapons and Rexo guy.

The main thing I've taken away from the Dev's is how much customization there will be in PS2. You'll be able to find multiple creative setups that work for you.
Old 2011-08-11, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

Impression I'm getting as well. Pretty much, I think they're taking out the tetris minigame of the old inventory system and probably just going the x/y point system.

Alternatively, they simply could have slots to place weapons/gear in and any ammo for said items is automatically applied. Like say rifles always bring 150-200 spare rounds. A med-app will always come with an extra reload, etc. This way, certs in the proper trees might increase that max to maybe 200-250 spare rounds.
Old 2011-08-11, 07:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Hamma
PSU Admin

Off topic in Idea forum. Moved to PS2 Discussion.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-08-11, 08:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Kechiro
Private

The impression I got was it would be completely removed and your class determined what you had on you; including weapons, ammo and anything else. This also is what irritates me in a lot of threads that talk about PS2 classes and such because everyone keeps assuming the Inventory System will still be in the game when the devs have said that it wouldn't (or would at least be different).

It's been one of my main thoughts about the game since I heard it. Because being a Sniper, having Medical/Engie certs have been crucial to staying on sniping posts longer. Not sure how not being able to use those will affect us as Snipers. That is, assuming you have to have Medical class role to use Med supplies and Engie class role to repair your armor and such. Highly worrisome indeed.
Old 2011-08-11, 08:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Kechiro View Post
The impression I got was it would be completely removed and your class determined what you had on you; including weapons, ammo and anything else. This also is what irritates me in a lot of threads that talk about PS2 classes and such because everyone keeps assuming the Inventory System will still be in the game when the devs have said that it wouldn't (or would at least be different).

It's been one of my main thoughts about the game since I heard it. Because being a Sniper, having Medical/Engie certs have been crucial to staying on sniping posts longer. Not sure how not being able to use those will affect us as Snipers. That is, assuming you have to have Medical class role to use Med supplies and Engie class role to repair your armor and such. Highly worrisome indeed.
We're running on several "ifs" with this post. Medkits might be in game, according to Smed stating there will be some form of self healing available. We're not sure if armor points are even a factor anymore, just the class of armor.

Also, it's probably safe to expect more than just 1 weapon per type per empire. I would expect, for example, a medic/engi/jumper could choose to equip a sweeper shotgun in place of a rifle for example, but no one knows for sure. I'm hoping they release the weapons chart soon so we can know for sure. Even if I go heavy weapons guy, I don't want to be shafted to an MCG and a Striker. For the matter, we're not even sure if rexo is strictly heavy weapons guy, or if a medic can't bring an MCG onto the field, though the latter is a probably not.

I honestly expect a very simple system that uses the current weapon slots the PS1 inventory has, only it takes out the actual pack and auto-fills it based on what you're bringing to the fight.
Old 2011-08-11, 08:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Kechiro
Private

Yes, there is much to speculate currently. There are very few "certain" details at the moment and it'd be wise to just wait and see what the devs say further down the line before rumors start to spread like wildfire.

I am rather attached to setting up my own inventory though.
Old 2011-08-11, 11:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

You're still going to be able to choose your "loadout" through various weapons, attachments, and skills. Different things for different classes. Maybe ammo is infinite? Maybe a class will have an ability to replenish ammo, or an engi deployed item. All kinds of possibilities.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2011-08-14, 10:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Graywolves
General

Definatley one of the things that I've thought about alot, it's not really a huge thing to me but I do recall Gen holds where we would have everyone carry med juice and glue to help us last longer.

I'd personally prefer the PS1 inventory over anything like an extra grenade pocket or extended clip.
Old 2011-08-15, 06:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
legendary
Private

The PS1 inventory system was a small, but nice way of adding realism to a battle. Fun times trying to rush loot ammunition out of a pack when you were running low and cut off from your supply line. Please keep it in the game, don’t lower the amount thought it takes to play successfully; resist the urge to follow blizzard to simplicity.
Old 2011-08-15, 06:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Senyu
First Lieutenant

Don't fear the Reaper...........that has come to collect the Inventory.

Lets see what PS2 has to offer before we petition it to come back. They are promising something better and what I have seen so far tends me to believe them. Or at least give them a chance to prove it.
Old 2011-08-15, 07:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by legendary View Post
The PS1 inventory system was a small, but nice way of adding realism to a battle. Fun times trying to rush loot ammunition out of a pack when you were running low and cut off from your supply line. Please keep it in the game, don’t lower the amount thought it takes to play successfully; resist the urge to follow blizzard to simplicity.
Simplicity = subs. Subs = money. And the inventory was pretty damn clunky.
Old 2011-08-15, 08:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Gimpylung
Master Sergeant

It's weird what people regard as being essential to Planetside.

I thought it was the true MMOFPS nature of the game that made it unique.

When I was trying to convince people to play the game, its wasn't the inventory system I was telling them about.
Old 2011-08-15, 08:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Crator
Major General

Yes, inventories is not the primary reason, or even a reason at all imo, that people liked to play PS1. It's the massive scale battles it provides.
Pretty sure they want to limit inventories to classes, and what they are able to carry when using said classes. This will allow them to balance the game easier. I can't overstate how bad balance was, and it was debated very heaviliy, for PS1 in the early years.
Pleny of post out there about this topic too. Go check PS1 forums about it, I know many people debated over this already so go check it out and get enlighted

Last edited by Crator; 2011-08-15 at 08:47 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion