Radar: Will it play a bigger role in PS2? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The REAL reason you flunked 5th grade
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-10-17, 01:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
wildcat140679
Sergeant

Radar: Will it play a bigger role in PS2?

The title pretty much says it all. Will radar play a bigger role in PlanetSide 2 than it did in PlanetSide?

The reason I'm asking is that when Higby spoke about the Empire specific fighters, he mentioned “Radar Dampening”. This kind of kicked the gears in motion in my head, wanting to learn more.

What does this “Radar Dampening” mean, does it lower radar detection or completely shield you from detection like the Harasser and Mosquito in PS1.

PlanetSide didn't really have a sophisticated radar system, you only appeared on the overhead radar display if you could be seen by other players, got picked up by a motion sensor, mosquito sensor, spitfire turrets or by wall turrets. With the exception of the Interlink Facility and some vehicles that didn't show up on radar regardless of being visually spotted.

I'm eager to learn more about radar and sensors in PlanetSide 2.

Whats your thought on radar/sensors in PlanetSide 2 and if it needs to be more advanced and play a bigger role or be as easy going as it was in the original PlanetSide?
Old 2011-10-17, 02:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Hamma
PSU Admin

Re: Radar: Will it play a bigger role in PS2?

I hope that it is a bit more advanced, it would be awesome if this is something you could invest skill points in to improve. It would be really neat to see something like the Tribes 2 command map for either Engineers or Commanders that allowed you to tag people or things on the map, showed sensor overlap etc.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-10-17, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
FIREk
Captain

It would be nice if fighters had a proper radar with a proper range of at least 2 km. Could be a nice customization/sidegrade option for AA-centric pilots.
Old 2011-10-17, 02:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

I'd like to see:

A) counter-battery radar (if artillery goes into the game)
B) radar and radar jamming/ECM/EW
C) chaff or even sci-fi missile-jamming for aircraft
Old 2011-10-17, 02:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

Originally Posted by FIREk View Post
It would be nice if fighters had a proper radar with a proper range of at least 2 km. Could be a nice customization/sidegrade option for AA-centric pilots.
Something that large is unlikely due to connectivity issues. Figuring out which data to send and actually sending it is quite a bit of work with that large of a detection radius. Maybe modern hardware/bandwidth is up to the task, maybe not.

I suspect they will put the detection range at (at most) 500m. The lore behind it will probably not be bouncing radio waves off your target and "listening" to the return, 2600s technology being what it is. That magic-hand-wave-justifies whatever range limitations they want:

"Particle X detectors are only functional to a range of Y given standard stealth system Z (present on all aircraft)"
Old 2011-10-17, 02:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

I do not want infantry positions to show up on radar EVER.

Although allowing players to spot targets positions as in Bad Company 2 would be nice, just as long as the location doesn't follow the player as they move from the position they were spotted in.
Old 2011-10-17, 02:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Bags
Lieutenant General

Radar already played a huge part in PS1.

Just pointing that out.
Old 2011-10-17, 02:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Aractain
Major

I don't want enemies to have big names and health bars on them.
Old 2011-10-17, 03:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

A friend and I discussed this at length. I'd like to see each vehicle/troop have a certain sensor strength and signal value, which could then be modified by modules. I.E. a tank would be easy to detect while infantry would be harder to pick up, Infantry would probably have very weak sensors while your fighter with the advanced sensor module on it could count the flies in the mess from half a mile away (might have to give the gun up to fit it though).

I'd also like to see the information collected by sensors get uploaded to the squad's maps, and maybe (possibly depending on the SL's certs) to the maps of the empire at large.

Between the two of them that creates a lot of potential gameplay. Recon missions by high speed scout ESFs, guerilla ops behind enemy lines specially fitted to avoid detection, and the ability to plan on an empire level in much greater detail.
Old 2011-10-17, 04:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

I'd love to see ground radar stations, airborne early warning ships (liberator variant?), and interceptor radars. It would definatly add some good communication based gameplay to air combat.

It would be great if a ground based radar station was in the game, spec ops needed to sneak behind the lines and take it out allowing air cover to move in. Having a passive and active radar on the fighters would be sick.
Old 2011-10-17, 04:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
SKYeXile
Major General

It would be nice if you could spot targets, like in BFBC2 but also broadcast them to the global map, to those in broadcast range, obviously infantry range would be less then vehciles, and aircraft would be superior again, perhaps they could even have moduals to enhance this, or perhaps auto spot and broadcast.
Old 2011-10-17, 06:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

I would like to see more gear/skills involved with radar. You just have to be careful not to go overboard like in Call of Duty. Having something that has a live feed of your position (as apposed to a standard radar blip) and the direction you're facing in the enemy's mini map, is ludicrous.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2011-10-18, 08:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Crator
Major General

I hope so!

-Satellite imaging and Data Transfer

-Command View

Last edited by Crator; 2011-10-18 at 11:39 AM.
Old 2011-10-18, 09:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

I was a fan of the "Mission Commander" whatever-it-was in BF2, and subsequent improvements over the real-time data. I was especially impressed by the real-time overhead video of what players were actually doing and where they were. Not sure if this can be done with an MMO.

As for radar itself - I don't *JUST* want a minimap that shows where everything is within 100-300 metres. When people talk about radar in this thread, I'm presuming they're thinking an actual radar. I'd definitely like aircraft to have it. Ground vehicles, not so much (I'd like a side of realism with my shake) although I could see lore explaining that, in the future, ground vehicles have sensor suites. Infantry? No, though if they were tied into a sort of Land Warrior system, maybe.

Radar leads to counter-battery applications, radar-homing weaponry, etc.
Old 2011-10-18, 11:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Radar already played a huge part in PS1.

Just pointing that out.
Yes but it was Ghetto Radar Minimap. I think what people are thinking (I know I am) are more along the lines of what Firefly said in the previous post.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion