Non-sniper infiltrators- with there be a TF2 spy-style role? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We serve before 7.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-17, 06:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Triforcer
Private

Non-sniper infiltrators- with there be a TF2 spy-style role?

I love stealth classes but hate sniping (I can't even headshot non-moving targets most of the time).

Based on the information we have so far, will playing a close range infiltrator be viable? What I want to do is carefully stealth around the edge of a battle, get behind a few infantry firing in the opposite direction, and knife or pistol them from 5m away.

Obviously the game needs effective countermeasures if this is possible (stealth see-through or revealing talents, decloak noise, decloak turrets, etc.) but I am wondering if there will be a place for this in PS2.
Old 2012-07-17, 06:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Sephirex
Major

Re: Non-sniper infiltrators- with there be a TF2 spy-style role?

They've mentioned that some of the better cloaks will disallow carrying a sniper rifle all together. So yes, I think there are plans for spy-type builds.
Old 2012-07-17, 06:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
EisenKreutzer
Sergeant Major

The devs have talked alot about Infiltrator play not focused on sniping. You could cert your Infiltrator into a behind enemy lines stealth hacker, for example.
Old 2012-07-17, 06:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
IgloGlass
Master Sergeant

When I describe the classes to people that have played TF2 but doesn't know anything about Planetside 2 I usually compare the classes in both games, however when it comes to the infiltrator I describe him as both the sniper and the spy in TF2 depending on your loadout.

The different classes might be able to serve different purposes but not nearly in the same way as the infiltrator will be able to.
Old 2012-07-17, 06:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Aurmanite
Captain

Ditch the sniper rifle for a pistol... gain unlimited cloak.
Old 2012-07-17, 06:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Radant-J
Corporal

I sincerely hope so; I feel on par with you about hating sniping but loving knife-in-the-back gameplay up close and personal. Hopefully there will be plenty of options, as well as choices whether to use knives/pistols/mines etc
Old 2012-07-17, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Triforcer
Private

I wonder if there will be a "backstab" damage mechanic for an infil pistol or knife- if not, and its your standard pea-shooter, whatever class you are attacking will have enough time to turn around and blast you with their heavy-duty weapon.
Old 2012-07-17, 07:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
pengalor
Private

From some of the interviews and screenshots we have seen that the Infiltrator will have a melee focused build with much longer stealth (and stealth that makes you completely invisible) but your only long-range weapon is a pistol. Otherwise you are relying on knife, proximity mines, grenades, and the like.

Originally Posted by Triforcer View Post
I wonder if there will be a "backstab" damage mechanic for an infil pistol or knife- if not, and its your standard pea-shooter, whatever class you are attacking will have enough time to turn around and blast you with their heavy-duty weapon.
There is a cert line for Infiltrator that increases melee damage. Still probably won't 1-shot medium/heavy classes but light classes will probably be a 1 hit kill.
Old 2012-07-17, 10:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

I utterly hate TF2 spies. The good ones.

I'm hoping there's enough weapon spam that they all get accidentally killed.
Old 2012-07-17, 10:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Hopefully no one-hit-kill back stabs. I really despise that sort of gameplay. Not very compelling or fun. I wouldn't mind the return of the AMP and the other standard assault pistols that made cloaking hilarious in PS1 though.

Also speaking of knives, it appears the knife in the current version of the game is a quick knife . Although it doesn't appear to be an instant kill.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2012-07-17, 10:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

good... excellent.

I'll just role play in my mind that it's not a quick knife but a butt strike or bayonet instead.
Old 2012-07-17, 10:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
haticK
First Sergeant

I was curious about this too because I love playing stealthy but in a big game like this I'm not a big fan of sniping. Would be really fun sneaking around and being able to take out people pretty quick. I know tanks will have something where if the infiltrator gets close enough they automatically become visible.
Old 2012-07-17, 10:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
QuantumMechanic
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Yep stealthy cloakers will be in. My concern is the opposite... what if I only want to snipe and would rather have some sort of support equipment and camo armor rather than a cloak field? My idea of a sniper isn't a guy that looks an awful lot like spider man. There's little hope for that option though I think.
Old 2012-07-17, 10:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
SgtExo
Staff Sergeant

I hope that i will be able to put on red dot or reflex sights on semi auto snipers, add a silencer and that gives you a powerful infiltrator build. I liked doing that in BF3, so that i could go close up and lay down squad spawns. This sort of build is very good for medium to close range where you do not have long LoS.
Old 2012-07-17, 11:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Goldeh
Staff Sergeant

"Infiltrator sappin' my Spitfires!"

Yes?

No?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion