Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2003-07-11, 08:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
eXoSloth
Major

Misc Info
Odd...

A lot of you will not believe this but I am almost positive that my keyboard is causing me lag. To test this I moved all buttons that I use al lot to my mouse/joystick and now the game only lags when I type something in the chat. I don't experience any chat lag, the game just slows down to like 1 FPS and the sound loops the past second over and over again. After about 10 secs everything is normal again.
I know this is very odd but does anyone have anything to suggest?

BTW I use a Microsoft Internet keyboard Pro, which uses PS/2 for the keyboard and has a USB hub built in. I have also tried a Dell Quiet key (also PS/2) and nothing has changed.

Also - Will you guys get pissed if I post my entire DXDIAG? If you will then I ould just write out the specs I know out.
Old 2003-07-12, 04:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Lise
Second Lieutenant

Re: Odd...

Originally posted by BlackHawkX

Also - Will you guys get pissed if I post my entire DXDIAG? If you will then I ould just write out the specs I know out.
Please do. This is a new one on me.

There are such things as "keyboard drivers." They usually don't get updated (since they're old as dinosaurs) but it is possible you've got a bum driver. It might also be something with the 2D drawing mode of your graphics card (since the chat interface is layered 2D.)
Old 2003-07-13, 01:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
eXoSloth
Major

Misc Info

I have re installed the keyboard drivers and I just updated to catalyst 3.5(newest vid card drivers). I'l try and do a cleaner install of the vid drivers later.

Dx Diag
Old 2003-07-14, 09:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Agathon
Sergeant

Hello,

This is odd. It is possible the motherboard is having issues or the PS/2 port is bad. Try the keyboard at a friend's house who has PS perhaps, and see if the problem repeats itself. I highly doubt it is the keyboard, but stranger things have happened with computers! Do you have the USB from the keyboard plugged into and working on the computer? Are their devices plugged into the USB hub and active on the keyboard?

8-)
Old 2003-07-14, 12:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
eXoSloth
Major

Misc Info

I have the USB from the keyboard plugged into the back of my comp. I have my joystick plugged into the hub on my comp. and it is working like a charm. SInce one other PS/2 keyboard did the same thing, I betting it's not the keyboard. I'm gona see if I can get my hands on a USB keyboard to try out.
Old 2003-07-14, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Agathon
Sergeant

Hello,

Ahh, if another keyboard has done it, upgrade your motherboard BIOS. If that doesn't fix it, the board is probably defective or damaged. I don't think I have ever seen a USB keyboard. Let me know if you find one.

8-)
Old 2003-07-14, 02:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
eXoSloth
Major

Misc Info

I have updated the BIOS. There are USB keyboards(Macs use them). If my board was busted wouldn't it be afffecting other programs also?
Old 2003-07-14, 09:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Lise
Second Lieutenant

Motherboards are very fickle things. A small problem can persist in one area while the rest runs fine.

And there are USB keyboards, although with USB 2.0 ports they are the single greatest waste of bandwidth ever concieved by man.
Old 2003-07-15, 11:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
eXoSloth
Major

Misc Info

Any chance a format would fix it? I really don't want to have to get a new MB
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum