Lag? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Every time you spam, god kills a kitten
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-06-18, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Comet
First Sergeant

Lag?

Hello everyone,

I have been reading/watching everything I can get my hands on about PS2, I've joined a great looking outfit and I am in my cockpit ready to scramble and fight for the NC no matter the odds! RAWR!

However, I have seen quite a few posts about lag in PS1 that have me concerned. In an FPS, lag can be the difference between life and death. Has SOE stated anything about these issues? I mean, they talk about how amazing it would be to have 2K people all in one spot fighting a huge battle, but, would that really be amazing if I lag like mad?

I appreciate the above example is on the max (see what I did there?) side of the spectrum but are players going to have the most fun in smaller skirmishes where there's maybe 20 people per side as opposed to 100+ simply because they are able to play the game and not have to worry as much about serious lag?

I have a great cpu setup and a great connection but in an FPS where there is potentially hundreds of people in one spot, I'm a little worried.
Old 2012-06-18, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Ratstomper
Major

Re: Lag?

From what I understand, the netcode for PS2 is far and away superior to PS1's. We've got better technology now to handle these kinds of numbers.
Old 2012-06-18, 01:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Shogun
Contributor
General

the devs said, it was a huge challange, but they are confident, that they have it nailed!

and we have seen quite some progress on that from the first gameplay footage to the e3 handson! gdc looked like severe rubberbanding, but e3 looked really fluid.

after all, noone has more data and experience about mmofps netcode than soe.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-06-18, 01:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
asdar
Private

This is my biggest concern about the game. I've never played a 32 vs 32 that didn't lag when everyone got close, I'm going to be shocked if they pull of a 100 vs 100 on one base. Most 8 vs 8 games lag, I just don't see how they can do it.
Old 2012-06-18, 01:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
Quoted for truth.

Planetside has been in a beta or release state for nearly 10 years, now. Ignoring that the original pop cap was 500/continent, they have 10 years of 400/map experience... That's 35 million player-hours per map of data/experience to work with.

Contrast with a game that's been around longer, let's say Counter-Strike, but has smaller supported maximum playercounts per map... and it's got 13 years of 32/map player densities... that's 3.6 million player-hours per map...

So even if we make the assumption that a week's experience tweaking code for 20 people is equivalent to two weeks' worth of experience tweaking code for 10 people... (and I think it scales more favorably towards higher player densities being more productive a experience curve towards making highly player-dense systems) The SOE crew has ten times the experience of Counter-Strike.
Old 2012-06-18, 03:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Dairian
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
the devs said, it was a huge challange, but they are confident, that they have it nailed!

and we have seen quite some progress on that from the first gameplay footage to the e3 handson! gdc looked like severe rubberbanding, but e3 looked really fluid.

^ This

Old 2012-06-18, 03:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Comet
First Sergeant

Even at E3 though the battles were quite small...
Old 2012-06-18, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Other MMOs host thousands of players at once, the shooting mechanics of PS2 shouldn't make it much different. They will nail it no worries!
Old 2012-06-18, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Envenom
Sergeant Major

Awww how 90's of you.
Old 2012-06-18, 05:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
Other MMO's are tab-targeting. Whale of a difference between that and actually aiming. But anyway, yeah they know what's on the line for SOE and are no doubt putting a high degree of focus on lag.
really different but I don't think it should make a big difference when it comes to lag. All the extra numbers in the equation come at the cost of losing all the extra details that have to do with gear and having thousands of weapons and armor types and dice rolls going on. Dunno if it will matter much.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion