New Mech Render! See inside! - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Shrike Tested, Mosquito Approved
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-03-23, 11:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
xx7xx
Private

New Mech Render! See inside!

This rendering demonstrates my concept for a new class of combat unit I am calling the GIANT (Gun Interceptor Armor - New Technology). I'm developing the concept for my game that I'm working on: "Futuristic Tactical MMO FPS". Basically Planetside, but with more realism, and none of the existing play/balance problems.

Anyway, the idea behind the GIANT is that it's a small mecha, with the classification having a height between 10 and 12 feet. This is different than infantry heavy power armor (MAXes for instance) in that you can't readily change into/out of the GIANT. I have a lot of fiction surrounding the technology and what not for the GIANT concept, and will be posting that in the near future, if anyone is interested.

The main goal of this model was just to practice and get the general sizing of the geometery and such. Feedback is greatly appreciated. BTW, before anyone screams at me about Steel Battalion, yes, I borrowed (heavily) from that style of design. Again, this was just to feel out the overall scale of this new class of mecha.

Also, I refined my little infantry figure, complete with new cool looking helmet

Old 2004-03-23, 11:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Maybe you could make one that takes a bunch of MAXes and puts them together to form an uber-big MAX.
Old 2004-03-24, 01:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Jaged
Contributor
Lieutenant General

No transformers, please.
Old 2004-03-24, 01:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Seer
Major

My battle tank would kill that fragile thing and use the guns as toothpicks.
Old 2004-03-24, 03:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Subterfuge
Corporal

It doesnt look too beefy, for being called a GIANT, looks more like a ballerina. I could see if this thing was emphasis on agility and speed but if It's supposed to be an uber mecha it should seriously be toned up.
Old 2004-03-24, 04:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
CorDharel
Corporal

Looks cool!

But with those arms, I would rather say its a repair-giant than a battle-giant.

But I would be interested in details from your game. How do u want to do it?
Old 2004-03-24, 09:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Sputty
Banned

Where does the guy fit in?
Old 2004-03-24, 09:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
xx7xx
Private

Here are 2 more renders of a more detailed model. I beefed up the legs, changed the guns a little. Generally fleshed it out a bit.

Old 2004-03-24, 09:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
JakeLogan
Major

It looks pretty good except it needs to be a little bit taller and have a head for the pilots head to fit in maybe a slighty bigger cockpit for the pilot to sit down in and instead of having as the people call it "pea shooters" for guns possibly a short range frag cannon so at range it would be an easy target while up at close range it could be deadly even to a tank.
Old 2004-03-24, 11:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Gigabein
Sergeant Major

The trunk is way too small compared to your infantryman. You'd have to use children or midgets to pilot that thing, because no one else could fit comfortably inside. Remember that the central body would have to include things like an armored(!) cockpit, engine, central computer system, and possibly ammo for the weapons. You also might want to shield the shoulder and hip joints, since those would be prime targets for crippling this vehicle.
Old 2004-03-24, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
xx7xx
Private

New comparison rendering showing all the different gun models to scale, along with the GIANT. And btw, I'll be posting the fiction explaining how the GIANT can be so small, and still have a pilot inside it

Old 2004-03-24, 11:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
xx7xx
Private

FICTION CONCERNING THE DESIGN OF GIANTs:

GIANTs- 10-12� in height:

The �pilots� physically resemble a 6 year old child, in all respects, but being genetically engineered for the express purpose of piloting a GIANT, they are intellectually and emotionally completely adult. A typical GIANT pilot would be considered a 25 year old adult, for all intents and purposes, other than their physical appearance.

GIANT pilots are contained in a support capsule, and are in a fetal position inside the capsule. This allows for a very compact support capsule. Even for the very tiny pilots, the support capsules are extremely small, and they are just barely able to fit inside as it is. The typical capsule dimensions are approximately 14� in diameter and 18� tall. This is extremely compact.

Once inside the capsule, the pilots are �jacked in�. Consider this comparable to a situation similar to being in a Matrix Pod. All life support functions are assumed by the support capsule: the pilot�s heart stops, their breathing stops, all blood is pumped and oxygenated by the capsule. Waste is directly removed from the blood. Once the capsule is connected to the GIANT chassis, the pilot then brings all of the GIANT�s systems online. Due to the neural interface between the pilot and the GIANT chassis, all commands are simply thought of, and they are realized. This allows the pilot to control the GIANT as if it were their own body.

The end result is an incredibly powerful combination of a state of the art combat chassis with a pilot interface system that allows for instant and perfect communication of the pilots wishes. The agility, speed, power and precision achieved is unparalleled in any other combat unit.

The one inherent weakness of this design, and it can be a very large weakness, is that once buttoned up, the pilot is pretty much helpless to take care of themselves in regard to support issues. The pilot can�t quickly enter/exit the chassis like a conventional vehicle or mecha. Getting into and out of infantry heavy power armor (the equivalent of a PlanetSide MAX unit) is simple by comparison. GIANTs need assistance to repair, re-arm or for the pilot to be loaded/unloaded. Additionally, because of their size, while small for a mecha, they still can�t fit inside most buildings and facilities. Once again, the last 10 meters must be fought and held by infantry.

Power for GIANT chassis is provided by a micro fusion reactor. With the core smaller than a marble, this reactor provides the power density needed, while maintaining the durability and safety requirements needed in a field combat unit. If the power unit is damaged, it has a cold failure state. In other words, if it is damaged/destroyed, it powers down, rather than having a run-away fusion reaction, and the subsequent fusion detonation.

Locomotion is provided by solid-state superconducting magnetic joints. Nearly all of the GIANT chassis is high density armor. All of the motive power is provided by these magnetic joints, as there are no hydraulics or other moving parts in the sub structures so typical of vehicle designs. All power transmission systems are quadruple redundant, again with no moving parts. This allows for a very compact design, with the majority of the chassis mass devoted to armor and weapons systems, instead of internal structure and support systems.

Weapons systems consist of a wide variety of medium and light caliber cannon, grenade launchers, machine guns, rocket and guided missile systems. Due to the high rates of fire of most of its weapons, ammunition consumption is one of the largest drawbacks to employing GIANTs effectively. They must operate close to supply points in heavy battles, as there is no provision to reload. Generally, 100% of the ammunition carried on board is in the loaded and ready position. Some weapons systems do have dual magazines however, allowing for multiple ammunition types to be carried, with the pilot switching between the two at will.

GIANTs employ a diverse array of sensor systems, as well as utilizing stealth capabilities and ECM systems to improve battlefield survivability. With both passive and active sensors, the pilot can choose the most appropriate systems to achieve surprise and tactical advantage. Additionally, targeting computers ensure that the pilot has the most accurate information possible to maximize the number of rounds on target. Lead Computing Optical Sights (LCOS) is standard on all GIANTs. This allows the targeting reticule to float into the proper position to allow the operator the proper amount of lead in order to hit a moving target. Note that this will only compute the lead for a target that is being currently tracked and locked on to.

GIANTs (and most other large units such as vehicles and TITANs) are usually equipped with a multi-laser anti-missile defense system. This is an array of small high-intensity pulse lasers positioned on the chassis to provide optimal defensive coverage against missile attacks. The anti-missile laser system (AMLS) isn�t designed to actually destroy the missiles themselves, but to destroy the guidance systems, thus allowing the missiles to be dodged, once they are no longer homing in on the GIANT. Missile manufacturers have countered with multi seeker arrays in order to minimize the effectiveness of AMLSs, so that a single missile may require three or more direct strikes to knock out all of its guidance sensors. This degrades the AMLSs effectiveness, due to the limited re-fire rate of the AMLS.

FAST packs- Fuel Armor Sensor Tactical- adds armor/ammunition/special recon sensors (missiles in some cases) adding to the weight of the GIANT, but is able to be jettisoned when the armor/ammo is gone, thereby enabling it to move as it would normally, without the extra weight.
Old 2004-03-24, 12:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
scarpas
Captain

Old 2004-03-24, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by xx7xx
FICTION CONCERNING THE DESIGN OF GIANTs:

GIANTs- 10-12� in height:

The �pilots� physically resemble a 6 year old child, in all respects, but being genetically engineered for the express purpose of piloting a GIANT, they are intellectually and emotionally completely adult. A typical GIANT pilot would be considered a 25 year old adult, for all intents and purposes, other than their physical appearance.
...why?

Old 2004-03-24, 01:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
JakeLogan
Major

Originally Posted by Sobekeus
...why?
I'm gonna just take a wild guess here. Maybe you would have to spawn this way to operate them and die or deconstruct to be a regular solider again?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion