Surely DX12 is the biggest news for PS2? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Overusing emoteicons since 2003.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2014-06-12, 05:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
EVILoHOMER
Major

Surely DX12 is the biggest news for PS2?

What I'll never understand is why we have games like BF4 and Crysis 3 which run so well because they've shifted most of the work to the GPU, yet we still have all these so called CPU heavy games like ARMA 3 or PS2 and none of them run well at all. To me that proves, shouldn't you be milking that GPU rather than focusing on the CPU? Right now these games barely touch the GPU....

Yet saying that when I look at my CPU, these "CPU heavy" games aren't even multi-threaded, they're like using 2 cores maxed and that is it. I've got 4 cores here and another 4 for HT, yet you don't wanna make use of them either.

Surely though DX12 reducing the load on the CPU is going to be a great thing for Planetside 2?

Then all I'll want is the horrible base designs to be redone and all the boring weapons to be redone to more like how they were in PS, take inspiration from UT, not COD... maybe then I'll come back and play lol.
Old 2014-06-13, 02:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Sarloh
Corporal

Re: Surely DX12 is the biggest news for PS2?

Well, if we could possibly utilise hyper-threading it might make it a bit easier on the game as the game is mostly laggy not because of the graphics, but because of the fact that your CPU must calculate every death, spawn, bullet fired...

Shifting more stuff on the GPU wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Old 2014-06-15, 03:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Rolfski
Major

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post

Surely though DX12 reducing the load on the CPU is going to be a great thing for Planetside 2?
I doubt they will reprogram this game for DX12.
Old 2014-06-15, 07:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
bites
Corporal

Originally Posted by Rolfski View Post
I doubt they will reprogram this game for DX12.
You would assume that ... however they have done it for successful franchises in the past (eg Everquest graphic overhaul around Shadows of Luclin expansion).
Old 2014-06-16, 01:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Boildown
Sergeant

Simulations and MMOs are both typically heavy on the CPU, its the nature of the game. Its easy to be light on CPU usage when only a few players are in a given area, why else do you think modern MMOs instance so much? The GPU simply cannot do the calculations necessary, and no amount of apples and oranges comparisons with small-scale games like BF or Crysis will change that.

That's not to say they can't make the game use more threads of the CPU better, in fact, that's what they have to do. But "shifting work to the GPU" is not a solution to this problem.

Old 2014-06-16, 05:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Rolfski
Major

Originally Posted by bites View Post
You would assume that ... however they have done it for successful franchises in the past (eg Everquest graphic overhaul around Shadows of Luclin expansion).
A successful long lasting franchise upgrading to DX9 when that DX version became the video games industry standard, is something different then putting a shit load of effort into programming for a limited set of next gen cards, only for a game that is more CPU bound anyway and has yet to prove its longevity.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion