Down time and side games here! Get your down time and side game news! - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Planetside ruined my life
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-01-23, 03:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Down time and side games here! Get your down time and side game news!

Author Topic: Worried about down time after reading Gamespy
Grozzo
Station Member
Registered: Jan 2002 posted 01-23-2003 02:03 AM user search report post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gamespy article:- "One question we had when we first heard about PlanetSide was how the subject of respawning would be handled. After all, dying is an event to be avoided at all costs in online RPGs like EverQuest, but getting fragged is a way of life in the first-person shooter. The rebirthing technology worked into the story helps explain away respawning in the context of the world - you can "bind" your genetic configuration to any of numerous matrices in each of the bases, and respawn there later should you get killed. However, there is a penalty -- since PlanetSide is set on such a huge world (you could spend hours traveling from one side of a land mass to the other), getting killed can costs you huge amounts of time if you're forced to respawn far away from where you want to be."
http://gamespy.com/previews/december02/planetsidepc/

My question is the following:
Were are u respawned, if the base where u are bound is conquered by enemy forces? I hope u will not be respawned among enemies or at the base planet of your empire -> Very long down time because of the traveling issue.

SJ is sly, SJ is slick, Sj is the !@#$!!!!

SmokeJumperPS
Station Admin
Registered: Sep 2001 posted 01-23-2003 09:24 AM user search report post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Downtime" is pretty minimal, usually.
When you die, you can respawn at the nearest friendly AMS, the nearest friendly base, your Sanctuary, or at a manual bind at a different AMS or facility.

So you have lots of options.

Getting back to the battle, if you have an AMS, is very quick. Wait through the respawn timer (not long) and then run from the AMS to the battle. This is just long enough to give the defenders a few needed breaks in the action occasionally, while still allowing attackers to regroup and attack in force, if desired.

The cat-and-mouse game of AMS hunting and defense is almost a complete side game around the battle at the actual base. And I won't even get started about the gun towers and bunkers outside of facilities yet.

Suffice it to say...you shouldn't have to wait long to get back in the action.

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p...ML/001798.html
Old 2003-01-23, 04:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
quiet
Staff Sergeant

Re: Down time and side games here! Get your down time and side game news!

Originally posted by MrVicchio
When you die, you can respawn at the nearest friendly AMS
Good info. I had thought one needed to be be pre-bound to the AMS, now the AMS seems even better to me.
Old 2003-01-23, 07:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Lexington_Steele
Lieutenant Colonel

I don't trust answers about something like this. Are the developers going to say something like "no, it is going to be hella slow getting back into battle." It is just too tough to get a straight answer from a biased party on something very subjective.

This is one thing we are going to have too see for ourselves. I am expecting longer waits than I would like, but feel it is probably a necessary evil.

Sit Back, Relax, and Enjoy the Action.
Old 2003-01-24, 05:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Mazelmavin
Sergeant

Good info. I had thought one needed to be be pre-bound to the AMS, now the AMS seems even better to me.
You do have to bind to the AMS, or any place you wish to respawn in the future.
Old 2003-01-24, 09:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
�io
Lieutenant General

I'm not so sure...

When you die, you can respawn at the nearest friendly AMS, the nearest friendly base, your Sanctuary, or at a manual bind at a different AMS or facility.
The way he says you can start at the nearest one or any manual bind seems to suggest the nearest AMS and base area automactically available any others though you do have to bind it yourself first.
Old 2003-01-24, 12:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Navaron
Contributor
Major General

like in BF1942, when you get waxed , if while you're waiting to respawn, the base you were bound to gets capped, then you can pick any new open base/ship. However, normally you'd jusst respawn there as the timer wound out.

Vist www.bohicagaming.com because we're better than you.
Apply|Contact|Forum
Old 2003-01-25, 09:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Mold
Sergeant

wait....how did bf1942 get into this? Sounds to me like dio is right.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion