The Barnies....the REAL Barnies... - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Stealing your sigs since 2002.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-02-18, 01:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Red October
Second Lieutenant

Question The Barnies....the REAL Barnies...

This has probally been done before, but what the heck.

The Vanu. What we know or don't know and what they could be up to.

1) Ancient Advanced Race that disappeared.
2) We don't know what they look like.
3) Auraxis was "constructed".
4) Terrans conviently found a wormhole that just happened to lead to another "abandoned" planet.
5) Wormhole suddenly without reason dissappeared.

So what happened to them? Possible Theories I thought of (and I'm sure others have as well).

1) The Vanu are actually very evil. They discovered the Terrans and thier war-like past and "created" the planet, tech and wormhole to get the terrans to fight each other and to provide entertainment for themselves.

2) The Vanu were never able to stabalize the wormhole but it does re-appear near thier home-world on a regular cycle. They'll be pissed once they find out that the world they created has been invaded.

3) The Vanu homeworld and/or star it orbited was about to go nova and they created Auraxis as a refugee planet. However, they were incorrect on thier nova calculations and thier race and planet was destroyed before they could begin thier exodus. The supernova caused the worm hole to become unstable and random.

4) While creating the planet, they played God just a bit too far and something very tragic occured whping them out.

5.a) We (terrans) are the Vanu and just don't know it. Humans were once superbly advanced and created Auraxis for future colonization. But back on Terra, something catastrophic occured such as a meteor or super volcano or war that drove Terrans/Vanu technoligically back to the stone age. As time goes on, our history goes beyond explanation by primitive tribal historians and the history begins to take a different shape in order to be explained. This history is misclassified as mythology. Ex. Lost Continet of Atlantis = Lost Planet of Auraxis; Immortality = Spawn Tubes; Greek, Norse, etc. gods = Leaders, Generals, etc. Unreachable places such as Mt. Olympus, Asgard, Garden of Eden = Auraxis an unreachable place for primitive terra.

5.b) As 5.a but with a twist. Terra is not our homeworld. Our homeworld was going to be destroyed by a supernova. Thus we created Auraxis as a temporary refugee camp untill another suitable world to make an "Exodus" was discovered. (Flood stories of Noah and Gilgamesh and other mythology). We discovered and colonized Terra and left Auraxis behind. However, once we got here...some tragedy (as 5.a) occured driving us technologically backwards.

I personally like theory 5. Does anyone know any more or have any other theories?
Old 2004-02-18, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
TheN00b
Colonel

I personally like 5a. B seems a little cheesier.
Old 2004-02-18, 01:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Fenrys
Major

Supposedly, before the Great Flood the earths atmosphere was many times heavier than it is today, turning the entire planet into a sort of giant hyperbolic chamber.

Cell damage (due to injury or old age) heals at vastly excellerated rates inside hyperbolic chambers. Meaning that its entierly possible that 1,000's of years ago humans were neigh immortal (kinda like Wolverene but not to that extreem).

As this relates to #5, humans could have built Auraxis and planned on moving there to get off the water-sloged Earth, but then the people who knew what they were doing (the 500-year-old scientists and whatnot) started dying and most of our knowledge/tech was lost with them.
Old 2004-02-18, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
l3lizz4rd
Master Sergeant

Wouldn't it be really cool if the real vanu came back, and all 3 empires had to join forces to combat them?

I have no idea how it would work, but it would just be teh awesome.
Old 2004-02-18, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Bad Mojo
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Auraxis is actually Earth (Or Terra) in the future. The human race evolved into the Vanu. Those humans on the planet are millions of years into the future on a planet that has been shaped by their own race over time.
Old 2004-02-18, 02:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Uberpimp
Corporal

Actually that wouldn't be a bad Idea but make them like an animalistic lower race thats more of a nusience than an actuall empire there by making the game that much more hectic. Have them pop out of like some kind of well... hole..... at random times (with the exception of huge battles due to lag) Ideas, dissses?

" 'tis better to reign in hell than to serve in heaven"

You know they call cigarrettes in England ****? Well, some one tell that cigarrette to shutup!
Old 2004-02-18, 02:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Uberpimp
Corporal

What I don't get is why the vanu are so obsessed with anything that floats or shoots blue orbs. I mean sure it looks cool but I don't see a reason to make and unholy gehad (yes it's a word)

You know they call cigarrettes in England ****? Well, some one tell that cigarrette to shutup!
Old 2004-02-18, 02:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Uberpimp
Corporal

Oh and empty bases if left vacant for to long the real vanu will infest it making for some really cool ALIENS ripoff action

Old 2004-02-18, 02:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Seer
Major

My theory is that a Vanu schoolchild has set up Auraxis as a cage to observe human behavior for his school's science fair. He will not even get first place.
Old 2004-02-18, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
EarlyDawn
Major General

I believe the basic story that the Vanu built Auraxis to escape into the system of multiple, parallel universes that our reality is made of. But what were they running from?

The idea that auraxis is a human colony is interesting, though.
Old 2004-02-18, 02:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Red October
Second Lieutenant

Seer wrote:
My theory is that a Vanu schoolchild has set up Auraxis as a cage to observe human behavior for his school's science fair. He will not even get first place.
Now thats interesting. I seem to recall a Twilight Zone episode in which something like that was done. Hey...It really could be that simple.
Old 2004-02-18, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Onizuka-GTO
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Uberpimp
What I don't get is why the vanu are so obsessed with anything that floats or shoots blue orbs. I mean sure it looks cool but I don't see a reason to make and unholy gehad (yes it's a word)
That's because the Vanu love the 80's, its all about disco balls and platform shoes (hence Anti-grav).

Just groovy with the purple!

I love you, You love me, Lets go kill those dammn NC's With their jackhammer shotguns, And their Phoenix Missiles too, and make them wish they were barney's too.
Old 2004-02-18, 09:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Fencer
Private

Ahem.. Platform Shoes and disco balls is 70's. Yuppies, big hair, over spending, and break dancing is 80's.
Old 2004-02-18, 09:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Spee
Colonel

Originally Posted by l3lizz4rd
Wouldn't it be really cool if the real vanu came back, and all 3 empires had to join forces to combat them?

I have no idea how it would work, but it would just be teh awesome.

It could be easy. Just as SWG did i with Jedi's, randomly select X amount of folks to play the new empire, lock the old characters, but make it so vanu are extremely power, thus, ther few numbers.

Vanu Stats

Health - 1000
Stamina - 1000
Base armor value - 200(our rexo)

Thier "agile" armor (second best) has an armor of 400, thier Rexo(best infantry) is around 600, and thier MAX = 1500.

Though being extremely powerful, they would be EXTREMELY limited. Perhaps 40 from each empire on a server.

I just think it would be cool to see a Vanu mow through 40 people before being taken down.

And they have a much worse respawn delay. Yes, this doesnt make sense, but balance.
Old 2004-02-18, 09:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Fencer
Private

No no, I don't think that's such a good idea. I don't know about you but I don't think I really want my gaming experience to be determined by some crazy sort of lottery. I mean let's face it /everyone/ would want to be one and it would /suck/ not to be one and then there'd be people selling their accounts and such.. it's just not good.. the Vanu would be better handled as some sort of special event or bot of some sort. If they're very strong than any sort of skill imbalance they have could be made up for by their ability.

PS, there's a game soundfile that sounds a lot like it could be a vanu though I forget which one.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion