Urban Continent? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: "So, a sniper and an advanced medic walk into a bar..."
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-07-22, 12:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Urban Continent?

I only bring this up because I noticed a very large city on the planet in the background of the Wallpapers with the empire soldiers.

http://www-cdn.planetside2.com/image...200.jpg?v=60.2

You can basically make out large city-like lights on the ground. I don't want to take it too literally, but could this mean there will be large city like areas?

I remember Higby once using buildings with streets and allys I think as an urban environment. What do you think about having large scale cities? They don't have to post apocalyptic or ruins, and doesn't have to be all about infantry. It would just mix up the tactics involved with air vs infantry vs vechs.

I wouldn't mind seeing one use about 1/4 map space on a Continent even.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2011-07-22, 12:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bruttal
Sergeant Major

Re: Urban Continent?

Originally Posted by Lonehunter187 View Post
I only bring this up because I noticed a very large city on the planet in the background of the Wallpapers with the empire soldiers.

http://www-cdn.planetside2.com/image...200.jpg?v=60.2

You can basically make out large city-like lights on the ground. I don't want to take it too literally, but could this mean there will be large city like areas?

I remember Higby once using buildings with streets and allys I think as an urban environment. What do you think about having large scale cities? They don't have to post apocalyptic or ruins, and doesn't have to be all about infantry. It would just mix up the tactics involved with air vs infantry vs vechs.

I wouldn't mind seeing one use about 1/4 map space on a Continent even.
They did say something about an ubanish content am guessing that wall paper was just a concept drawling and prob looks nothing like what will be in game
Old 2011-07-22, 01:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
CutterJohn
Colonel

I doubt there will be any continent that is entirely devoted to a single style of landscape. Major portions, sure, but not all of it.
Old 2011-07-22, 02:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Canaris
Contributor
General

I think it was John Smedley who mentioned at the fan faires Q&A panel they were going add cities to the game but they'd be pretty much bombed out shells of the original settlements.

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2011-07-22, 02:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Vancha
Colonel

I get the feeling there'll be a fair amount of potential urban warfare no matter which continent you're on, though I do like the idea of 1/4 to 1/2 a cont that's purely urban...Perhaps as the ex-capital city of Auraxis or something.
Old 2011-07-22, 08:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Hamma
PSU Admin

Yea I get that impression also that there will be little areas on most continents for some urban like combat.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-07-22, 09:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Manitou
Contributor
Old War Horse

I am wondering how this will work since they obviously can't have destructible buildings. It would be cool as heck to be able to move from one building to another by blowing out walls, but I can't see how this would be sustainable with a persistent world.

So if they have urban centers, how is the indestructible environment going to work? You are looking at the potential for hundreds of spots to nest and camp. In and of itself this isn't a show stopper, but it could create a habit for some to hide there in places where nobody could root them out.

Manitou
"
On the plains of hesitation lie the bones of countless millions who, upon the dawn of victory, sat down to rest and resting, died."
<))><
Old 2011-07-22, 01:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
I get the feeling there'll be a fair amount of potential urban warfare no matter which continent you're on, though I do like the idea of 1/4 to 1/2 a cont that's purely urban...Perhaps as the ex-capital city of Auraxis or something.
Yeah, I wouldn't want a whole continent that was 100% urban combat, because I think it would run the risk of being what the caves or Oshur Islands are today, almost a niche mini-game.

However, I do like Vancha's idea about a former capital that had a higher percentage of urban areas. The setting is what I'm most excited to see. We've had glimpses of what the terrain and buildings will look like, but I freaking can't wait to see more of the landscape.
Old 2011-07-22, 03:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Alduron
Sergeant

From what they've said I'm not expecting huge cities, but a bunch of areas like this:
http://www.g33k-e.com/wp-content/upl..._concept_4.jpg
Old 2011-07-22, 03:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
opticalshadow
First Sergeant

given the games they list as major influences, id imagine we have atleast one major urban area.
Old 2011-07-22, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
razor851
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

I believe the politically correct term is "African-American" combat.

Join the PlanetSide Steam Group!
Old 2011-07-22, 04:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Aractain
Major

Urban in wales (thats next to the great England) means a barn with a dyke and two sheep tied to a pole.

Fighting in destroyed citys, thank you. They better not Core Combat us this time.
Old 2011-07-22, 04:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Aractain View Post
Urban in wales (thats next to the great England) means a barn with a dyke and two sheep tied to a pole.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2011-07-23, 12:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
cashfoyogash
Sergeant

Urban combat in todays world has always created more risks, it creates a 3d environment as the military told it to me in my training. Your head is always on swivel, looking left right behind and up to the rooftops.

Urban combat supports the gorilla fighter more as ambushes are a huge risk. It will pose a different tactic set for commanders. It will make defense of such areas much easier. Im glad they decided to use urban environments. I see alot of camping with snipers and ambushes on either a platoon level or IED type tactics with boomers. Which is exactly how the defense of such areas should be played.

Alot of people complain about campers, but that is what defense is digging in and not allowing the enemy to take one inch. 101st airborne did such a thing in bastone and id like to see outfits be in such battles in PS2 surrounded on all sides repelling the enemy until armor is able to roll in.
Old 2011-07-24, 12:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Evilmp
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by razor851 View Post
I believe the politically correct term is "African-American" combat.
awesome
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion