What do you think could ruin Planetside 2? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If PSU was a women, Hamma would marry her.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-11-01, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

What do you think could ruin Planetside 2?

Now before you all go crazy, this is just a post about ideas on things you think could effect the overall game of PS2 based on the knolage we have so far.

For example, as it is F2P, then what issues is this going to cause, like multiple accounts etc etc.

Now we all know people on the interwebs will do their best to ruin a good experience for all, anbd abuse every aspect of something until it breaks, and I was thinking what all you folks imagine will be the big issues in PS2 with F2P and other factors.

This is also a good post for the devs to watch out for. I know they will be working hard to cover every angle, but sometimes one little thing can make its way in and cause havoc.

Edit* Now I know some other games have been ruined by hackers, robots etc etc. Its info like this im after, so I can watch out for them. Im not trying to dam the game before it released, more dam the folks that will try to ruin it!

Thanks,

Morto.

Last edited by SuperMorto; 2011-11-01 at 11:39 AM.
Old 2011-11-01, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
IceyCold
Master Sergeant

Re: What do you think could ruin Planetside 2?

So far just about everything I have heard and seen has made me believe Planetside 2 has the chance to take the shooter and mmo market by storm; but if there is one thing I think could ruin it, it would be:

HACKERS

SOE needs to take this seriously, over anything else.

Lag, clipping textures, unbalanced weapons, all these things could be an issue; but none of them will drive people away from the game faster than Hackers.

This is the biggest reason why I would like for SOE to launch Planetside 2 on Steam. Not only is it great marketing, but as a free to play game PS2 will have no "cost" to getting caught hacking. However when you are caught hacking in a game on Steam with VAC, your entire account could face ban; meaning not just Planetside 2 but any game on your account is now gone. It is a great way to prevent hacking.
Old 2011-11-01, 12:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by IceyCold View Post
So far just about everything I have heard and seen has made me believe Planetside 2 has the chance to take the shooter and mmo market by storm; but if there is one thing I think could ruin it, it would be:

HACKERS

SOE needs to take this seriously, over anything else.

Lag, clipping textures, unbalanced weapons, all these things could be an issue; but none of them will drive people away from the game faster than Hackers.

This is the biggest reason why I would like for SOE to launch Planetside 2 on Steam. Not only is it great marketing, but as a free to play game PS2 will have no "cost" to getting caught hacking. However when you are caught hacking in a game on Steam with VAC, your entire account could face ban; meaning not just Planetside 2 but any game on your account is now gone. It is a great way to prevent hacking.
Thanks for the info, I never knew VAC was used for anti hacking. Thats a good idea tho, but the only problem is I can imagine Steam will charge? Correct me if im wrong.

But hacking for sure can ruin a game.

What about robots?, Not sure if anything like the gold collecting bots of WOW could be made, as there is no gold to collect, but im sure some nerd will come up with something a bot could do in game.
Old 2011-11-01, 12:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Crator
Major General

I've actually had a bad experience using Steam. They just banned my account one day, for no reason. And they wouldn't give me a reason either, I asked. At the time I didn't have that many games purchased through them so I just forgot about it. Now though, I have quite a few games through them with a new account so I would be upset if it happened again.
Old 2011-11-01, 12:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
I've actually had a bad experience using Steam. They just banned my account one day, for no reason. And they wouldn't give me a reason either, I asked. At the time I didn't have that many games purchased through them so I just forgot about it. Now though, I have quite a few games through them with a new account so I would be upset if it happened again.
I generally like Steam, but can say I find it very frustrating some times with sppeds and when a game updates and you just bought it!!!!!!!!!! (New Vegas few months ago 8 hours download on a Sunday when i had all the time in the world!). And somehow it seems strange to have a company own all your games arg!! Well have them in their hands!

But no hacking is the way forward, look at Xbox, Blizzard etc, they all do a good (not perfect) job of it.
Old 2011-11-01, 12:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Tikuto
Major

Exclamation Re: What do you think could ruin Planetside 2?

The end of the three year business plan for PlanetSide 2 after launch.

[URL="http://t.co/wHak5U5R"]Floating Mountains[/URL
PlanetSide 2: Alien Incursion
(PlanetSide 2 Steam Community Group)

Last edited by Tikuto; 2011-11-03 at 02:56 PM.
Old 2011-11-01, 12:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
waldizzo
Contributor
First Sergeant

Bad marketing:
Not many people knew about Planetside and that hurt the game more than anything.
Old 2011-11-01, 12:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by waldizzo View Post
Bad marketing:
Not many people knew about Planetside and that hurt the game more than anything.
Sometimes I think it was that bad, that there was actually somebody out there trying to hurt the game. Look at what has become popular in gaming, everything Planetside was. So why didn't it make it?

Seems strange to me that, if you have something good and the power to make it better why would you not?

Hmmmmm.
Old 2011-11-01, 01:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Traak
Colonel

Just so you know, cheaters, the senator is YOU. The artist is anyone who points out that you are cheating. What is the usual defense! ATTACK!

Last edited by Traak; 2011-11-01 at 02:29 PM.
Old 2011-11-01, 02:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
TRex
First Sergeant

1.forumside

2. hacking ofc

3.lack of advertising

4.dumbing the game down and listening too much to the nerf brigade. instead, once a nerf request is made, the GM extracts their character to a simulator and they stay there until they achieve a relatively competent level and allowed back into the general community.

5. Planetside 3

Last edited by TRex; 2011-11-03 at 02:41 AM.
Old 2011-11-01, 07:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
HELLFISH88
First Sergeant

1. When it come's down to Hacker's VS SOE my money is on SOE. (Loyalty until death etc..) I would hope hacking was thought about during the construction of Forelight and planetside 2 itself. Enable counter measure's or easily adaptable defenses. (What , I'm not DanB..I don't know how this work's)

2. Marketing. We absolutely cannot make the same mistake twice. How foolish we would be. Great Dishonor. This is the perfect market to launch this game in. Take advantage of the FPS frenzy and GET IT OUT THERE.

3. DUST 514: Their ambition is great. CCP is a direct threat to SOE even morso then Blizzard.
Old 2011-11-01, 10:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

If any of SuperMorto's ideas gets implemented into PS2 .

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2011-11-01, 10:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Marth Koopa
Banned

The only major deal-breaker I can think of is poor TTK balance.

Honestly, the thought of faster-than-PS1 TTKs scares me. Getting killed by 3 deci hits in a max is TOO fast already
Old 2011-11-01, 11:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by Marth Koopa View Post
The only major deal-breaker I can think of is poor TTK balance.

Honestly, the thought of faster-than-PS1 TTKs scares me. Getting killed by 3 deci hits in a max is TOO fast already
I'm hoping enough of the devs aren't suffering Small Man Syndrome to think it adds anything to the game to have the weakest character classes able to kill the strongest ones with impunity and ease.

I KNOW it's the video game world, and they have to cater to little boys and make them feel strong, smart, and powerful, sort of like a geisha's job, but note EVERYONE who plays the game is insecure about their size.
Old 2011-11-01, 11:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Xaine
Major

Originally Posted by Marth Koopa View Post

As an almost exclusive AI MAX user, i'd have to disagree.

Getting hit by a Deci as a MAX is painfull, and its annoying when you get annihilated so fast. However, there are also times when there are about 5 softies shooting at you with small arms weapons and you can just stand there and blast them apart. In larger fights as well, softies without AV won't even go for you first. They will go for the stuff they can actually drop. So you really can stand there and flatten all of them.

I play VS, and our AI MAX weaponry is the worst for indoor fighting. We have other advantages, but for indoor, close range fighting the other MAXs are better. I still manage to go 10/1 every time. Honestly, i think MAXs are OP as they are.

The only thing that i'm scared of are Decis, and i can still kill a guy before he can get three off.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion