Trying to picture actual tank tactics - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You are very sleepy, VERY SLEEPY...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-17, 05:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
WorldOfForms
Corporal

Trying to picture actual tank tactics

This is not a debate about driver/gunner, etc. This is about trying to imagine how we will drive tanks, considering what we know about them.

The part that has me most confused is how we are going to retreat from combat, as the rear of the tank is the vulnerable part. If I engage a large number of enemies on a relatively stable frontline of combat, what happens when I need to retreat? Won't turning to escape get me killed by exposing my backside? This is assuming I'm not in a magrider.

It seems like the best tactic in a large fight will be to attempt hull-down placement or just peeking out from behind obstacles and then backing up almost as soon as you take fire. The old methods of weaving around and driving off over hills probably won't work anymore.

We'll have to play to see if this is a good or bad thing. Am I missing anything? How do you think tanks will have to position and maneuver considering the low TTK and the vulnerable rear?
Old 2012-07-17, 05:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: Trying to picture actual tank tactics

http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/Tactics

^ any in the link above not related to stealth or crackpot.

Plus your own.

My personal favourite is flank a group of enemies alone and try turning the hulls of your opponent to your allies. They will be preoccupied with preventing YOU to hit their side and rear and forget about your allies sniping down the road. Meaning they'll try to keep their front pointed at YOU (but you are now where their behinds used to be, with their fronts aimed at you, meaning their behinds are where their fronts used to be). Meaning your allies will then all hit their softer sides, you giggle and drive off (don't forget to giggle!).
Old 2012-07-17, 05:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Infernalis
Sergeant

Just like in Battlefield, the TTK isn't so low that you can't have tactics and maneuvers, all the opposite (I mostly talk about the old BF with big maps).

As for retreat if you're somewhere where you can't hide from your opponent quickly you reverse with the front of your armor pointed in the direction of your enemy so you don't take additional damage and you either : remember the map so you don't hit a rock or something, turn the turret so you can navigate and avoid obstacles and/or turn the 3rd person view if there's one.

And you can aim accurately while driving in another direction btw.

Last edited by Infernalis; 2012-07-17 at 05:47 PM.
Old 2012-07-17, 05:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
IgloGlass
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/Tactics

^ any in the link above not related to stealth or crackpot.

Plus your own.

My personal favourite is flank a group of enemies alone and try turning the hulls of your opponent to your allies. They will be preoccupied with preventing YOU to hit their side and rear and forget about your allies sniping down the road. Meaning they'll try to keep their front pointed at YOU (but you are now where their behinds used to be, with their fronts aimed at you, meaning their behinds are where their fronts used to be). Meaning your allies will then all hit their softer sides, you giggle and drive off (don't forget to giggle!).
This I really have to try!
Old 2012-07-17, 05:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
SgtExo
Staff Sergeant

Reverse until you find some cover or a depression where you can turn and retreat at full speed.
Old 2012-07-17, 06:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Khellendros
Staff Sergeant

Reversing might not be very viable if reverse speeds are similar to PS1, you'd never get anywhere.
Old 2012-07-17, 06:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by WorldOfForms View Post
This is not a debate about driver/gunner, etc. This is about trying to imagine how we will drive tanks, considering what we know about them.

The part that has me most confused is how we are going to retreat from combat, as the rear of the tank is the vulnerable part. If I engage a large number of enemies on a relatively stable frontline of combat, what happens when I need to retreat? Won't turning to escape get me killed by exposing my backside? This is assuming I'm not in a magrider.

It seems like the best tactic in a large fight will be to attempt hull-down placement or just peeking out from behind obstacles and then backing up almost as soon as you take fire. The old methods of weaving around and driving off over hills probably won't work anymore.

We'll have to play to see if this is a good or bad thing. Am I missing anything? How do you think tanks will have to position and maneuver considering the low TTK and the vulnerable rear?
The rear isn't any more vulnerable then the front. The only real difference is you can't return fire, and if retreat is being considered, returning fire isn't really going to do you any good anyway. Better to focus on maneuvering and forcing your opponent to constantly adjust his aim on the fly while driving through obstacle fields.

With the way PS2 is doing things, the most common tactics for tanks will be stationary artillery points, few shots will be done on the move and that is killing one of the biggest advantages (and the core reason behind the invention) of tanks. Mobile warfare isn't going to be very mobile, unless you are good at what you do.

This means that tanks will be more vulnerable to infantry, which is what they attempted to do with BFRs. The DEVs are aiming for a full circle of rock-paper-scissors but it will inevitably be a triangle with Air Cav being on top (which, coincidentally, is exactly like RL and exactly the way things should be anyway).

As for in-game tactics, you can plot and plan but until we get in the game, there's no real point.

Last edited by Blackwolf; 2012-07-17 at 06:14 PM.
Old 2012-07-17, 07:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

I've been noodling around trying to figure out how we can take advantage of the Prowler's better speed.... and I like the idea of a Mossie coordinating two groups of Prowlers, steering them by verbal commands on either side of an unsuspecting enemy column, and telling them when to turn towards each other at top speed.

All of a sudden, TANKS ERRYWHERE!
Old 2012-07-17, 07:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

We will be compiling a publication on this very subject at some point in the near future.

Old 2012-07-17, 08:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
aleksandrgrc
Corporal

i will drive one of those tanks with you, seems obvious your a loyal citizen.

im way better at driving than gunning. when i got hooked on infantry back in 2001. thats where i was at 911. anyways i fell in love with driving the tanks on account i moved them out of fire with a natural grace but mannaged to stay in the fight and let the gunner rack up the kills. i liked that 4 wheeled mrv art tank, owned with that thing. im not really going anywhere with this. i just wanted to feel like i was apart of something .
Old 2012-07-17, 08:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
GodsMessenger
Private

There used to be a really good tanker guide for PS1 uploaded to this site somewhere. It was called the tank bible, by a guy named theredx. That guy used to roll some crazy tank platoons.
Old 2012-07-17, 08:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

The most important thing is to outnumber your enemy and concentrate on one target. Once they are destroyed you can retreat for repairs. And I've always found that doing quick patrols on the fringe of the zerg keeps you safe.
Old 2012-07-17, 08:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
WorldOfForms
Corporal

Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
The rear isn't any more vulnerable then the front.
What? The devs have said/shown tons of times that tanks have vulnerable armor in the rear.
Old 2012-07-17, 08:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
The rear isn't any more vulnerable then the front.
Actually, in PS2, it is. You don't want to get hit in the rear.
Old 2012-07-18, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Marinealver
Sergeant Major

Tanks would be either used as a grinder slowly pushing back resistance with firepower or as a punch through the enemy lines to get a vital objective.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion