Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

Old 2013-01-07, 09:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info
We are not alone in the universe, and God does not exist

Hundreds of years ago, popular theory was that the earth is flat. Then, it was that the sun revolved around the earth. Then, it was that god created the earth, and the earth alone, as the cradle for the only intelligence anywhere. That we were/are his chosen ones. Common theory currently persists that we are the only intelligent life in the universe, that we are alone. There are roughly 300 billion - give or take a few billion - star systems in the Milky Way. In this animation are the real, correct positions of over 400,000 Galaxies other than ours, that we know exist. Each with their own huge number of stars, and planets orbiting those stars.

And you dare to tell me we're alone because some deity in a work of fiction written a thousand years ago says so? That by his will and his will alone, we are the only intelligence in this impossibly huge place?

I dare to suggest your God does not exist.

http://www.wimp.com/galaxiesanimation/

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2013-01-07, 09:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
belch
Contributor
First Sergeant

Re: We are not alone in the universe, and God does not exist

I'm not a biblical scholar or anything...and I am inferring that you are addressing Judeo-Christians in your post but...

Does biblical scripture actually say that there is no other life in the universe? I really do not know the answer and am asking.
Old 2013-01-07, 09:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Crator
Major General

^ Had same question. I don't think the bible states there isn't other life outside of Earth, neither does it state there is. I could be wrong though.
Old 2013-01-07, 09:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

http://www.ucg.org/doctrinal-beliefs...oes-bible-say/

Comparing science and the Bible

Missing in this discussion is information that has been disallowed by the scientific method, which discards any information that cannot be verified or disproved by observation or experimentation.

That missing information is found in the Bible. The scientific approach generally leads to rejection of biblical facts and statements about other intelligent life, because science cannot prove those statements. This isn't necessarily the fault of science; it simply is the way the scientific discipline was established and functions. Of course, we can rely on something science has proven. But, like most things, even science has its limitations.
When the Bible reveals something of a spiritual nature, such information is often beyond the level of science. Science is often incapable of proving or disproving what is stated. The Bible describes this kind of information as revealed knowledge, or knowledge we cannot discover through human effort alone.

An interesting example of this is found in Matthew 16. Here, Jesus asked His disciples what people were saying about Him. The answers varied. Then He asked: "'But who do you say that I am?' Simon Peter answered and said, 'You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.' Jesus answered and said to him, 'Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven'" (Matthew 16:15-17).

Understanding Jesus Christ's identity as the Son of God is not scientific; it is not in the flesh-and-blood realm, proven through a microscope or telescope. This kind of knowledge is beyond science. In His conversation with Peter, Jesus affirmed that only God reveals this kind of knowledge. This revealed knowledge is the missing component in man's desire to understand his place in the universe. Without it, man will forever be left with a string of unanswered questions and endless possibilities.

Of course, not all who claim revealed knowledge actually have it. Occasionally we learn of cultlike small groups that claim to have secret knowledge of the unknown. When tragedy results, like the recent mass suicide of the Heaven's Gate group near San Diego, many are inclined to dismiss all revealed knowledge.

The difference between these groups and the Bible is the source of their information. Even large, long-established religious assemblies have shown their inadequacies in interpreting and explaining the Bible and attempting to represent God's revealed will. All groups have fallible human leaders, while the Bible contains the very words of God Himself. As 2 Timothy 3:16 tells us, "all Scripture is given by inspiration of God." Its authority is unassailable, whereas speculation of individuals remains just that-speculation.

The Bible has answers

So what can we learn from Scripture about extraterrestrial life and man's place in the universe? The Bible reveals that there is extraterrestrial intelligent life, but not as many suppose. The Bible does not speak of aliens who live on other planets, but it does speak of a Spirit Being who "inhabits eternity" (Isaiah 57:15).

The Bible is silent about extraterrestrial life-forms as popularized in science fiction and the entertainment media, yet it is by no means silent about real extraterrestrial life in all its great abundance. The beings spoken of in the Bible are real. They have appeared and spoken directly to humans (Genesis 3:9-10 ; 4:9; 16:9). The Bible records the existence of many millions of angelic beings (Revelation 5:11) who are "ministering spirits" to mankind in fulfillment of God's purpose (Hebrews 1:13-14).

The first verse of the Bible introduces us to the ultimate Spirit Being: God. "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth" (Genesis 1:1
). It presents two pieces of revealed knowledge beyond the realm of science. The first is the existence of God. The second is found in the word created, a translation of the Hebrew word bara.

"This verb is of profound theological significance, since it has only God as its subject. Only God can 'create' in the sense implied by bara. The verb expresses creation out of nothing, an idea seen clearly in passages having to do with creation on a cosmic scale..." ( Vine's Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words, 1985, Thomas Nelson Publishers, Nashville, "Create").

The concept of bringing the universe into existence from nothing is completely outside the parameters of scientific observation and experimentation. Science tells us a great deal about matter that already exists. It tells us that matter can change shapes and form. But science cannot account for the appearance of something that previously did not exist. It can only theorize about possible explanations for how everything we see around us came to exist from nothing.

We see this even in the various theories for the evolution of life into the myriad forms we see today-all start by assuming that matter already existed.
tldr: Yes, there is life beyond earth, but it is heaven and there is only God out there.

Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2013-01-07, 09:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
^ Had same question. I don't think the bible states there isn't other life outside of Earth, neither does it state there is. I could be wrong though.
Let's ask some indoctrinated nutca... I mean learned experts.

http://www.ucg.org/doctrinal-beliefs...oes-bible-say/

Basically he says "all them there aliens" are in fact angels. Edit: giggle. P0int, found the same link. Aaah google. So many answers, pick the top ones.

http://www.creationdefense.org/67.htm

Or this one, who simply concludes it's nice it's all empty, cause his god says he uniquely made earth for all his creations and stuff.

Including some other... "ethics" on how to deal with foreign objects like alien worlds (not necessarily alien inhabited worlds): the latter link suggests everything is there for man to exploit.

Last edited by Figment; 2013-01-07 at 09:36 AM.
Old 2013-01-07, 09:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Crator
Major General

^ Right, but I always took the heavens and angles and all the people who've gone to heaven as existing on a different plane, outside of the physical universe. I thought the question was if there was life outside of Earth, existing in this physical universe.
Old 2013-01-07, 01:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Figment
Lieutenant General

Nah.

It never occured to them.
Old 2013-01-07, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
belch
Contributor
First Sergeant

I hope you aren't lumping every Christian into a neat package that says 'nutcake'...

I have known a few that do believe in extra-terrestrial life. I've never had any discussion on what scripture says though.

Regardless of personal belief system, it would be downright foolish to believe that as massive as the known universe really is, there is life on only our planet.
Old 2013-01-07, 07:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Figment
Lieutenant General

But what about the agnostics? D: You left out the agnostics.
Old 2013-01-07, 07:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by belch View Post
I hope you aren't lumping every Christian into a neat package that says 'nutcake'...

I have known a few that do believe in extra-terrestrial life. I've never had any discussion on what scripture says though.

Regardless of personal belief system, it would be downright foolish to believe that as massive as the known universe really is, there is life on only our planet.
Figment might not be. I am.

Old 2013-01-07, 11:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
belch
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by p0intman View Post
Figment might not be. I am.
Is that all people that believe in deities/higher powers, or just the Judeo-Christian variety?
Old 2013-01-08, 05:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I like Buddhism, the only god there is whichever one you find within yourself.

Old 2013-01-08, 06:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Ysanne
Private

An interesting fact is, that even the Catholic Church classifies the creation in 7 days as a story and not a collection of facts. The evolution is accepted as the true history.

This does not stop the US from teaching kids at school that evolution is a myth.
Old 2013-01-08, 06:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by belch View Post
Is that all people that believe in deities/higher powers, or just the Judeo-Christian variety?
If you believe in any god written about during the height of humanity's ignorance, you are an extension of it, imo. Scientology doesn't count because thats simply a scam, if you go along with THAT, you self brand yourself with a special brand of idiocy.

Old 2013-01-08, 07:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Frotang
Staff Sergeant

Well I am a bit nutty.....but thats bc God made me this way!

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum