Okay, 8 days or so in... - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Because real life is to.... real.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-02-26, 07:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Okay, 8 days or so in...

I gave my newbie first impressions:
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=53005

And I've played on NC, Sol server, then I decided to take a looksee at TR and I hopped over to the Matherson server, just to see something new.

First off, night and day those servers are, at least when I was on in terms of combat, battles raging. For example, I was in a Squad, we were hopping points on the edge of a larger zerg taking the fight to the enemy. It was tons of fun. Well, at one point we got our butts handed to us and had to fall back. It was a "We gave it our all but damn, we got rolled" moment. As I stepped out of the spawn point... I looked up to see at LEAST 12 Gal's loaded, with various smaller AC covering them headed towards a Biodome away from us. It was... a hell'va sight to behold. Right then, right there I found my home.

The battles have been far more intense, lots of resistance, defenses... oh it was glorious. Sure, there was a moment we ended up taking down some uncovered installations, but that wasn't by choice, the main zerg had pulled everyone away and we chose the wrong places thinking we'd meet the enemy.

I've read the complaint threads here, and while I can to a point understand "PS2 isn't perfect", guys, it's got so much here. Of course, human nature aka "The grass is always greener on the other side" syndrome plays into it, some people just like to complain.

I'm gonna complain, about not having the time to play PS2 earlier. I'm in Heavy Assault, I wield a shotty and my rocket launcher... and you know what? I'm happy. I've charged in and died to a hail of fire, I've gotten behind the enemy and taken them by surprise clearing an entire room solo. I've also died to what I consider lag/bs, but that's FPS.

It's part and parcel of the genre. CS had it waaaaaaaay back in beta when Colts were scoped and you could bunny hop in Aztec and HS someone while carrying just a Deagle. Welcome to the shooter, get over the short comings and embrace the good.

Could PS2 use some more polish, sure, but then so could WoW and it's like 7 years old. I'm a paying subscriber to PS2, and I don't regret it.
Old 2013-02-26, 08:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
CraazyCanuck
First Sergeant

Re: Okay, 8 days or so in...

Agreed whole heartedly. Despite some issues with the game I love it and am also a subscriber now as well as dropping cash into it previously for SC. I still remember that feeling when I watched for the first time a massive assault on Ti Alloys. I had no idea what or where I was going so I just followed the other purple guys all in equal confusion and awe after I hotdropped into the hellstorm.

ESF were swarming about as AA filled the sky. VS armor was pushing across the bridge from the Allamtum bio lab (back when we had the sw Warp gate) while Xroads was under fire as armor was also pushing across the hills from XenoTech Labs with sundys and infantry tailing behind. A small part of my mind registered the looming fortification looking down at it all as its turrets rained down on Ti Alloys. Its bombardment falling amongst a horde of infantry as they poured out of sunderers bent on taking TI Alloys. It was an amazing first impression.

I died countless times during that engagement. I was in a euphoric state and didn't care as I tried to kill the other guys but mostly just tried to take it all in. The deal was sealed when I watched two galaxies swoop in low over Ceres Hydroponics. Those beasts of burden endured a horrific amount of fire before they hovered for only an instant over the roof of the taller TI Alloy buildings and then disappeared into the cover of the eastern ravine.

The question of their purpose lasted only a moment as troops with different uniforms then the guys we were first attacking started shooting down on us. I died again to a thrown grenade from above, but I hooted with excitment at my demise. What other game has this? I thought. I stayed up till 5am that first night. Getting an hour's sleep in before my kids woke up. There has been numerous other nights that mirrored that one and there will be countless more. Am I here for the long haul? Fuck Yah! And I continue to try to bring more and more of my friends over to partake in its fun.

Edit: Has anyone else noticed SolTech's pop being higher then norm? Large scale engagements seem to be occurring with much more frequency.

Last edited by CraazyCanuck; 2013-02-26 at 09:02 AM.
Old 2013-02-26, 09:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Calisai
Contributor
Sergeant

I've got countless memories of engagements like this in my head from PS1. I think sometimes the PS1 vets forget the first impressions that addicted them to the game. I hope a new generation of players will be ruined for small map-based FPS's like I was when introduced to Planetside.

Once you are in an epic fight of hundreds of players, tanks, galaxies, AA, etc... those small 64 player matches seem so small and constricting.

It's also why the veterans rail so much about the flaws of PS2. It's not because they hate the game... it's cause they love Planetside so much they don't want it to fail... and want to relive those memories they have.
Old 2013-02-26, 12:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Thanks for the feedback it's good to see that there is some positive energy on these forums. People reading these threads are going to be scared of the game IMO with all the complaining. Without making any statements as to what needs to be improved, let me say. I to am a paid subscriber and satisfied with that decision.
Old 2013-02-26, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Bags
Lieutenant General

every game has forums that look like these lol
Old 2013-02-26, 11:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
OCNSethy
Major

@ MrVicchio & CraazyCanuck

Thanks for retelling the impressions that made me want to play PS2 every day. For all its short comings and things that annoy me... I do love this game!
Old 2013-02-27, 11:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

All games have their short comings, that was true when Pong first appeared to the next big game, what matters is; how good is the CORE experience? For me, PS2 is filling all those holes other FPS games lack in terms of continuity, RPG elements that matter. Is is as pretty as others, no, is it perfect? No. Is it over all a fun ride? YES.

When I find a game breaker, I'll bring it up, but I've yet to find that. The closest I've found is people ignoring fights cause "Easy certs lol!" But I fixed that issue for me so all is now good.
Old 2013-02-27, 11:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
RSphil
Contributor
Major

i agree. im on miller as NC and waterson as TR and had some great fights on both with lots of people about, both air and land battles happening at the same time. bits of aircraft falling around you while you dodge a hail of bullets with other soldiers running with you all to kill the enemy and capture the base.

yes there are problems but as said the game is new and WoW is 7-8 yeas old and has lots of problems still. the devs on planetside though are the best iv seen in a game and iv beta and alpha tested a lot and played soo many more. i am subed to the game because i want to help the devs make this a better game and keep the money rolling for future progress.
this game is soo much fun and with stuff being fixed all the time and stuff being added it will only get better.
Old 2013-02-28, 12:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Xaine
Major

I'm glad you enjoy the game, but PS1 in its hayday was a better designed game.
Old 2013-02-28, 12:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Xaine View Post
I'm glad you enjoy the game, but PS1 in its hayday was a better designed game.
I am quite familiar with PS1, it's not 2003, these comments aren't worth the font you type them on...

PS1 isn't coming back, PS2 is a new animal, love it or leave it. What you are experiencing is "Nostalgia" for a time gone by. I played EQ when it came out. EQ has such strong memories for me. A "Fresh newness" that no MMO has been able to recreate. However, having once, years later popped back INTO EQ1, I realized how far we've come, and how time has eroded the bad memories, and put a spit shine on the good distorting my recollections.

PS2 is today, PS2 is the future, embrace it or go away.

Last edited by MrVicchio; 2013-02-28 at 12:35 AM.
Old 2013-02-28, 01:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
RSphil
Contributor
Major

a lot of people go on about ps1. i never played it or even heard of it, it was never really advertised in the UK. but i see where these people are coming from. i do the same with battlefield. imo battlefield vietnam was the best they ever did and always think back to it. but from what i have read and what the devs have said a lot of the things in ps1 would not work in ps2. the main thing being the shear size of ps2 today. i do agree though this is ps2 and not ps1 so we should look at this a s a new developing game and not look back but look forward at what can be done in this game.

the stories have already started of epic battles i hope they go on for as long if not longer then ps1. though you should not forget the fun you had in ps1 but realize this is a different beast.
Old 2013-02-28, 08:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
CraazyCanuck
First Sergeant

I understand where the ps1 vets are coming from. Like MrViccio, I've been playing MMOs for a long time. Ultima Online and beta EQ and countless others from there. Going from UO to EQ was so dramatic, comparing night and day. I will always remember it fondly. When EQ2 came out I felt much like the PS1 vets are feeling right now, but then I came to the realization, while derived from the original, EQ2 was a different animal. I had to approach it as such or become bitter and pessimistic and remove any chance of enjoying the game for what it was.

Not since EQ have I enjoyed a mmo game so much as I have in PS2. The only other game that might pull me from this one would be Elder Scrolls online, but that is a very similar game based strictly off what has been shared with the public thus far and takes place in a fantasy medium that I prefer.

PS1 like many other great games had its growing pains that only time and progressive development could mend . PS2 is in its infant stage, I'm impressed with what the dev team has implemented since launch, and I remain optimistic toward future developments that will only improve our enjoyment of this great game.

Old 2013-02-28, 10:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Mox
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Well, ps2 is fun to a certain point. I play it one day every week for around 4 hours. Nevertheless ps2 has heavy shortcomings. The game was rushed for release. There are simply some major parts missing and bad design decisions were made. The point is that Smed needed some bucks for his annual financial report 2012 and now SOE as well as the remaining players are paying the price for this rush.
SOE lost hundert thousands of players and we play an unfinished and partialy broken game.

This kind of bad management make me sad because i want ps2 to be the greatest game out there. Atm its just an average game which is worth only 4 hours of my leisure time each week. The question is how long it can keep me interested without some major enhancements.

Therefore, my dear devs, please pull the plugs out of your asses and focus on the important stuff. Hurry up! We dont need stupid shit like esports or fb-implementation. We need stuff that make this game interesting for the next months. We need a meta game, i.e. Intercontinental warfare with real incentives for continent locks. We need more conts. We need better defensible bases (no tunnels but proper spawns in the inner core of each base). We need a mechanic which focus the battles on certain points if the map (not talking about a lattice).

Last edited by Mox; 2013-02-28 at 10:45 AM.
Old 2013-02-28, 02:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
CraazyCanuck
First Sergeant

Games being released before they are ready seems to unfortunately be the mainstay. Hence me leaving MWO after over a half year there. It would be a breath of fresh air if ESO did not follow this trend.

Old 2013-02-28, 02:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Thank you OP. Positives tend to NOT be the norm on PSU. I appreciate the attitude adjustment your post gave me. Like many others here, sometimes I get lost is the 1/2 empty side of the glass.

You made a succint, yet powerful case for positivity & more optimism. Not sure how many Devs read PSU anymore. I hope they come across your comments. They sure get sniped a lot on the different forums....
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion