The last 3 GUs as a whole - Im having less fun. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The easter bunny is NC.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-07-14, 09:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

The last 3 GUs as a whole - Im having less fun.

I play almost only infantry and I play solo more often than not. I may not be the average player, but I dont think iIm particularly anomalous.

The last 3 GU have made a lot of changes to effect the flow of battle often for seemingly good reasons but the end result for me at least is less fun.

-sundy deployment - it was fun trying to get a sundy in a good spot and holding it was fun hunting those sundies - I think we lost more than we gained here. also in some cases as infantry it just means you cant do anything now because its to easy to pick you off in no mans land.

-SCU - This change makes no sense at all - all it means is that now the fight is over once you blow the SCU, but now you have to sit at the base doing nothing and wait for the cap instead of fighting the whole time.

-lattice - I love the lattice concept - but the implantation is too granular and the result feels contrived. It makes no logical sense the way cant cap close by small bases that you naturally would just walk to and instead have to zig zag all over.

-the mew deployment zones - Im not even sure what particular causes it but it feels much more restrictive like Im trapped in one corner of the map.

There is probably more but that what comes to mind.
All together the game now feels like a bunch of contrived rules in stead of a big giant battlefield and I dont enjoy it.
Old 2013-07-14, 10:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Re: The last 3 GUs as a whole - Im having less fun.

The SCU change and Sundy no deploy zones are big issues for me too. Mainly the restriction on the defending team from deploying an AMS in a base.

It seems they just want to remove as many options or choices out of base fights as possible. Just make it a giant deathmatch with a cap point/gen or two. They're trying to make base fights similar to every other FPS with a capture point mode.

The ESF update is my last hope. Currently I'm reduced to only flying, can't really stand any other aspect of gameplay for more then 10-20 minutes.

I do think the lattice changes are for the better, and a move in the right direction. But without a meaningful resource system or more noticeable benefits for bases/territories it doesn't really matter.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none

Last edited by Lonehunter; 2013-07-14 at 10:23 PM.
Old 2013-07-14, 10:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
AThreatToYou
Major

-lattice - I love the lattice concept - but the implantation is too granular and the result feels contrived. It makes no logical sense the way cant cap close by small bases that you naturally would just walk to and instead have to zig zag all over.
If this is happening, then there is something wrong with lattice!

Eh, just go here and enjoy some TIE Fighter. Take a break.
Old 2013-07-14, 11:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by AThreatToYou View Post
If this is happening, then there is something wrong with lattice!

Eh, just go here and enjoy some TIE Fighter. Take a break.
They've got Warcraft:Orcs and Humans! Omnomnom!

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-07-15, 01:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
KesTro
Second Lieutenant

Was never a huge fan of the lattice as well. It worked well in PS1 sure, but there was also only like 10-12 facilities per continent/world in PS1 unless I'm mistaken. Just doesn't seem to fit well with PS2's 50-70 bases ber continent.
Old 2013-07-15, 02:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Maidere
Sergeant

I just dont feel they improved the game in a way they had to.
1) Lattice (less ghost caps - more fights): zergs are usualy on the different lanes, so they rarely meet each other. I can find a good fight one-two times a week (good compared to hexes, I could find a good fight 1-2 times a month back then).
2) Resource cost: Didnt realy fix much from infantry standpoint. Zergs are still moving with little to no opposition. So you are moving with the tank column or you are getting stomped by the tank column. It's not like you will win if the other side wont have that many tanks, but getting farmed by the armour is just more frustraiting.
Old 2013-07-15, 04:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
MrMak
Sergeant Major

the Hex is a chaotic mess. Especialy for squad leaders. Every tiem you make progress thare is alwas that one fucker on a flash that starts backcaping everyththingbecouse thatere are always 4 to 5 links , a lot of which dont even make sense (other side of a mountain with no road connection for instance). The only way to make progress in the HEX is an extremaly overwhelming numerical advantage or if the majority of the enemy zerg goes full potato and sits in a stalemate in one base (*cough cough* biolab.)

SCU changes prevent people from ending the fight before it even starts.

No deploy zones affect only the attackers now so those complaining about it criplig the defenders havent been paying attention and dont realy have any experiance to back up their complaints.

Im not particularly fond of them but they make sense. The attackers shouldnt be able to spawn faster and closer to the objective than the defenders. There are still plenty of options. Just like with the lattice, people cant do the most obvious and cheesy tactics so they complain they have no options.

Also not being able to find a fight in the lattice? Are we even playing the same game? Are you like playing in the early morining or late night or something? If the zergs on your server refuse to fight eachother then im sorry but thats not the lattice that is at fault , its the players. The only system that would fix that is a single restricted lane with one path. Kind of like BF3's Operation Metro ona larger scale.

Some people just need to be hearded it seems.

Overall you guys should stop thinking about it so hard and just play the game.

Last edited by MrMak; 2013-07-15 at 04:28 AM.
Old 2013-07-15, 05:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by MrMak View Post

SCU changes prevent people from ending the fight before it even starts.
Ummm - Im referring to the more recent change where SCUs dropping allows the spawn room to be over run. I actually explained this if you had read it.

It would make more sense to simply have the SCU blowing be the actual base cap because as it is now everytime the SCU blows it means you have to sit there in boredom waiting if you want credit for the cap.

Also not being able to find a fight in the lattice? Are we even playing the same game? Are you like playing in the early morining or late night or something? If the zergs on your server refuse to fight eachother then im sorry but thats not the lattice that is at fault , its the players. The only system that would fix that is a single restricted lane with one path. Kind of like BF3's Operation Metro ona larger scale.
I didnt sy you couldnt find a figh - I said it feels contrived and silly when 2 out posts so close that you could practically throw a rock from one to ther other arent linked.

It would have made more sense if the link only effected large out posts and towers.
Old 2013-07-15, 05:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
MrMak
Sergeant Major

The SCU taking down the spawnshields is a good thing. Sitting there camping the few asshats siting in the spawn to cheese a few kills from behind the shield is not my idea of fun. They are not going to mount an attack from there anyway, mightaswell just clear it out so people can move on and prepare for an actual counterattack if the, enemy is organised enaugh to do that that is.

As for links only affecting large bases. no thank you. Then its basicaly the problems with the HEX system all over again. you secure a base and poush in the logical direction, some jackass on a flash starts backcaping everything in the middle of the fight. Id rather the terrin and base positions be moved around to make thel inks morel ogical in plthe few places they are not.

Aslo I was respinding to everythign said in the thread overall not just you. Maidere claims Lattice somehow prevents him form finding a fight. Which is ridicoulus.

Last edited by MrMak; 2013-07-15 at 05:21 AM.
Old 2013-07-15, 05:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Maidere
Sergeant

Aslo I was respinding to everythign said in the thread overall not just you. Maidere claims Lattice somehow prevents him form finding a fight. Which is ridicoulus.
Nice interpretation.
What I said is that finding a good fight is still not that easy with the lattice. It did improve things but not drastically.
Old 2013-07-15, 05:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
PredatorFour
Major

The SCU taking down the spawnshields is a good thing. Sitting there camping the few asshats siting in the spawn to cheese a few kills from behind the shield is not my idea of fun. They are not going to mount an attack from there anyway, mightaswell just clear it out so people can move on and prepare for an actual counterattack if the, enemy is organised enaugh to do that that is.
Maybe for zerglings yeh... but after this came in, it stopped any possibility of a fun resecure. e.g. flying into a bio lab, going up the teleporter, running to the spawns (safety) getting specific loadout, repping gen(s), getting back to spawn, changing loadout to kill the intruders.

You can't say it hasn't taken the fun out of situations like this.

Last edited by PredatorFour; 2013-07-15 at 05:32 AM.
Old 2013-07-15, 05:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Then the base should simply flip when you take down the SCU. There is no reason to have mechanics that make us wait when the enemy no chance9as opposed to a slight chance) of counter attacking.

The current mechanic doesnt make sense.

As for links only affecting large bases. no thank you. Then its basicaly the problems with the HEX system all over again. you secure a base and poush in the logical direction, some jackass on a flash starts backcaping everything in the middle of the fight. Id rather the terrin and base positions be moved around to make thel inks morel ogical in plthe few places they are not.
No the my suggestion is that you can only cap a major base if its linked a major base you already own - like PS1 was.

You dont have to agree with my idea but you seem to just be doing the fan boy thing.
Old 2013-07-15, 06:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Qwan
Captain

Originally Posted by KesTro View Post
Was never a huge fan of the lattice as well. It worked well in PS1 sure, but there was also only like 10-12 facilities per continent/world in PS1 unless I'm mistaken. Just doesn't seem to fit well with PS2's 50-70 bases ber continent.
This is tru Kes, but in PS1 you also had the towers, most located mainly ourside of main bases, and some were not, but they were not connected to the lattice, but played a very strategic role in capturing a base. I mean look at peris amp an Indar, you have the smaller tower to the north and the other to the east across the bridge. There small but still part of the lattice system, which I think gets frustrating. I think they should experiment with removing some of the smaller bases and leaving just the towers and the main bases on the lattice, this way small bases that just sit outside of main bases, can be just staging areas for assaults untill taken back from the defenders. Now just because you took the smaller base which is not connected to the lattice does not give you access to taking the larger one, you would still need a lattice connection, but these small bases can be strategic points for major assualts.
Old 2013-07-15, 06:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Qwan
Captain

Originally Posted by Ghoest9 View Post
No the my suggestion is that you can only cap a major base if its linked a major base you already own - like PS1
I like this idea, like a stepping stone for assaulting factions. Say the lattice is from a bio lab to a tech, the bio lab has just been capped, and between them are two smaller outpost, units can use them as staging areas (stepping stones) as they assualt toward the tech plant. These smaller bases will not be part of the lattice, but still play a strategic role in moving towards there goal which is the tech plant.

To be honest this would cut down on sunderer spam (not sure though sundys are fun) and though the bases are not on the lattice there still just as important to defenders as well as attackers.
Old 2013-07-15, 07:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
MrMak
Sergeant Major

So basicaly you got all these fortified bases along a rute but you can just gal drop on the facility hack a vehicle terminal and bypass them...no thank you. Had enaugh of that in the Hex system. And im sick and tired of it.

Bases like Quartz Ridge or Howling Pass would become useless since they would be too much truble to capture for just a staging area and not stop an advance at all at the same time.

What was the point of fighting for Howling Pass in the hex system when you could just roll down the hill, get abandoned NS offices and just go on to Mao? And dont get me started on facility satelites. Their hex variant jsut helps the attackers more than anything.

No thank you. Bases like that form a front line. Hex is chaos without a front line. Mixing lattice and Hex will just create chaos excluding the facilities.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion