Esamir - whats it all about - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I'm not awake until I get my morning flame in.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2014-05-20, 12:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Gimpylung
Master Sergeant

Esamir - whats it all about

Esamir, originally billed as the vehicle continent.

Right...

One Tech plant so that 2 empires are always denied MBT's, bad way to promote mechanized battles.

Now every other base has huge walls around it so you have to totally abandon your vehicle to cap the base because you obviously won't have flipped the base in the 5minutes it takes for your vehicle to disappear in a puff of smoke. And a big waste of vehicle resources along with it further damaging the likelihood of a descent open field mechanized battle.

I know what Esamir was intended to be, I just have no idea what it is now.

Anyways, I needed to air that, it's not exactly current or topical but I feel better and that's the main thing.
Old 2014-05-20, 12:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
ringring
Contributor
General

Re: Esamir - whats it all about

Having got that out of your system I reckon you deserve a drink. Here, have a guiness on me.
Old 2014-05-20, 01:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Gimpylung
Master Sergeant

Hehe, thx m8.
Old 2014-05-20, 05:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Illtempered
First Sergeant

Agreed...I prefer the old Esamir. WALLS WALLS WALLS
Old 2014-05-21, 04:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Illtempered View Post
Agreed...I prefer the old Esamir. WALLS WALLS WALLS
I don't mind walls as much, as long as I can find the bliddy way in (or out), it's the in-between places where tank fighting should occur. These are too small.

Snowsheer is one of my fav outposts.. and I've see great fights at Palos Soar Array.

I don't know if you can recall either of those bases prior to the walls and additional protection put on towers but I used to abuse those terribly with my prowler (farm, farm, farm).
Old 2014-05-28, 05:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Figment
Lieutenant General

Did they change the maps recently then? (Haven't logged in in months)

Vehicle fights shouldn't occur at bases as much, but the distances between bases are rather small with the amount of them, which means that you can't really have build ups of units between both sides. And yes, having only one tech plant doesn't help.
Old 2014-05-28, 05:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Figment View Post

Vehicle fights shouldn't occur at bases as much, but the distances between bases are rather small with the amount of them, which means that you can't really have build ups of units between both sides. And yes, having only one tech plant doesn't help.
Not esamir, it's been a year (?) or so. But the rest of your post is spot on.

ps they have done some small changes on Indar (a revamp of Quartz Ridge) and Amerish of course. Now they're working on Hossin.

Last edited by ringring; 2014-05-28 at 05:57 AM.
Old 2014-05-28, 09:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Gimpylung
Master Sergeant

Come back and play Figgy. Your 'wall of text' analysis/proposals have been missed, careful on reddit though, anything longer than 2 sentences will probably get downvoted.
Old 2014-05-28, 10:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Figment
Lieutenant General

Have I ever not been spot on?

Originally Posted by Gimpylung View Post
Come back and play Figgy. Your 'wall of text' analysis/proposals have been missed, careful on reddit though, anything longer than 2 sentences will probably get downvoted.
Hah. Yeah, I bet it's been missed... :/ Tried some comments in War Thunder: usual noobs: "If you don't like it go play World of Tanks!" / "It's just Open Beta Test" / "Have you consider you're probably a bad player?" / others: "shut up all of you, he's right!".

Of course I'm right... But pointing out the people calling me a bad player have a 5-20% lower win rate is arrogance apparently. >.>

Anywaylmost graduated (finishing up my 200 page graduation report ).

Walls of text crits tutors for maximum damage. :o

Last edited by Figment; 2014-05-28 at 10:21 AM.
Old 2014-05-28, 11:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Solidpew
Private

I like to think of each continent's central large outpost as the defining characteristic of said continent.

Indar has the Crown, a fortress seated at the top of a commanding hill that can be besieged from multiple locations by vehicles and air alike, while forcing the infantry to slug it out (more so the old Crown than the new one, but still applicable).

Amerish has the Ascent, a mixed environment with long and winding roads that are surrounded by huge cliffs, coupled with jump pads and elevators that aid in traversing this mountain fortress. Also, vehicles and aircraft have some role, but they cannot impact everything (the crystal cavern, an underground infantry only zone).

Esamir has the Octagon.. it's literally walls shaped like an octagon. Vehicles don't play a crucial role, though it is true that they can besiege certain bases on Esamir from afar. Otherwise, aircraft can rain in pain from above while the infantry fight it out in multiple corridors on two levels that are interconnected in many ways.
Old 2014-05-29, 04:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
JackD
Private

I liked the old Esamir more even though it was a nightmare for infantry. The current Esamir doesnt have a lot going for it, even thermal doesnt work right.
Old 2014-05-29, 09:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Eggy
Sergeant

Originally Posted by JackD View Post
I liked the old Esamir more even though it was a nightmare for infantry. The current Esamir doesnt have a lot going for it, even thermal doesnt work right.
This ^^ is why the old Esamir worked as a shining example of team based combined arms. Infantry should feel threatened when clumped up or running in a pack from base to base. Thats why armored transports and support vehicles were introduced.
Some of the bases needed some more walls and cover and Some of the bases needed better static AA, AV guns/cover. What we didn't need was what we got.

All we ended up with is an entire map that noone realy plays on much. Its very difficult to have a ground vehicle fight and the 100% infantry player gets to ignore it all and just hop from base to base at will. With bases that are too cluttered and make no logistical sense once your inside the walls.

Its similar to the sunderer deployment changes they are mulling over. It removes the needs for teamwork, logistics and vehicles because the spaces between bases are too small and there is no need to transport yourself across anything when you can just redeploy anyway.

At times when you pull a vehicle it drives into a metal wall.
Due to the separation of infantry and vehicles its a nightmare trying to pick up a gunner when you've just spawned.
Even getting across some of the bigger bases from point to point is a nightmare.

The one tech plant in the middle forced you to think about what to pull.
Do you go to the WG and get a tank or just pull something smaller. I had no problems going back to the WG on occasion, it was never a long ride back to the lines.

Last edited by Eggy; 2014-05-29 at 09:22 AM.
Old 2014-05-29, 12:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Figment
Lieutenant General

Came across some decent bases on Indar (sub-surface hard to camp spawn, good walls, good cover along and over walkways, good high ground and a capzone that can be reached by defenders through indoors - this was somewhere in the northwest of Indar). >.>

But I then heard the level-designer who designed those was moved to another game?

:|
Old 2014-05-29, 02:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
ringring
Contributor
General

Came across some decent bases on Indar (sub-surface hard to camp spawn, good walls, good cover along and over walkways, good high ground and a capzone that can be reached by defenders through indoors - this was somewhere in the northwest of Indar). >.>

But I then heard the level-designer who designed those was moved to another game?

:|
The only one that comes to mind is Quartz Ridge and afaik only Clegg of the level designers has been moved to a new game. I don't know that he did that one.

Take a look around Amerish for the better bases. NC Arsenal produces some of the better fights as attacker and defender.

The Auger is good too as is Highroads Station.
Old 2014-05-29, 07:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Figment
Lieutenant General

Can't recall the guy's name, but the one mentioned wasn't Arclegger I think.

Either way, yes, Quartz Ridge. I'm surprised that was built out of the same building blocks everything else was really.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion