Systems: Possible Sanctuary System - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: So THIS is why kids fail school......
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 3.56 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-07-14, 09:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Possible Sanctuary System

I was a bit alarmed when I read that there would be no sanctuaries in PlanetSide 2. I understand their reasoning behind it, but I do not understand why it has to be such a harsh solution as removing them from the sequel altogether. After all I was one of those CR5s in PlanetSide that enjoyed forming raids in sanctuary after our empire was done finishing a continent. I enjoyed using it as a staging ground between outfits and squads. I want to see this same type of safe staging area in PlanetSide 2.

What I propose is that have a sanctuary in game, as well as the spawn on squad mate system, merely have the player choose at log-in or in-game which system he or she would like to use. If you want to spawn into a sanctuary and take your time getting to the fight, then use the sanctuary. If you want to instantly be spawned into the action, use the already discussed squad-spawn system.

I can't see any possible draw backs to having optional sanctuary usage in PlanetSide 2. The players who do not enjoy spending possible 5+ minutes to get to the fight will not have to use it all. In addition, outfits, the empire, squads, and platoons will have a staging area to regroup, form up, and roll out.

Having a sanctuary would also allow for easy access to all terminals, pads, and VR training that are present in-game. SOE has stated that weapon lethality is increased in PlanetSide Next, and there are thousands not hundreds fighting. Some players might appreciate an area where they can leave the fight, gather themselves, and then head back into the fray. To me, having you always spawn into combat seems like a bad idea for some people, (again not all).

If it were up to me, I would just say implement sanctuaries in PlanetSide 2 the same way as they are done in PlanetSide 1. A zone that can't be accessed by the other empires. Having this also allows for a HART system as well (getting 20+ people in my outfit to HART drop into a fight was always a good experience).

In order to make sanctuaries not effect the territorial control system present in PlanetSide 2, just make sure that you leave sanctuary in the same way that you would enter combat if you were NOT using sanctuary. What I mean by this is that you could spawn into/recall your group to sanctuary, but in order to LEAVE sanctuary you would use the pre-existing methods that are already in the game, such as spawning on squad mates or however SOE plans to make vehicles travel between continents.

But what if you have no squad-mates to spawn into with your group since you all recalled to sanctuary? Well I don't have a good answer for this because I don't know how SOE plans to have someone who wants to solo spawn into the battlefield. I would need more info to be able to offer a solution to this.

Overall sanctuaries I think are a must for a game of this scale. It provides a staging ground that potentially thousands of players (in the new game) can gather at before setting off to wreak havoc. It just makes sense.
Old 2011-07-14, 09:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Possible Sanctuary System

I'm guessing that the footholds will function like sanctuaries. I can't imagine they'll be open to enemy attack.
Old 2011-07-14, 09:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Tool
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I'm guessing that the footholds will function like sanctuaries. I can't imagine they'll be open to enemy attack.
I think so as well, instead of an area in it's own zone, they'll simply be closer to the contested areas. All the convenience of home without the morning traffic
Old 2011-07-15, 06:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

What they said. Footholds will probably function identically to sanctuaries. My only concern is how there will be on on every continent. They still haven't stated how they exactly work in regards to what happens when you spawn in, but I'm hoping to get some information on that in the coming days since they've been so open to questions from the community thus far.

Oh, and one thing I think you may of overlooked is warpgates. As far to my knowledge from seeing screenshots, they are still apart of the game.
Old 2011-07-15, 08:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
XeoWolf
Private

I agree...

I just don't see where Sanc's slowed you down anyway. IA got you to a fight pretty quick. And Having the Sanc for gathering troops for a coordinated attack is something I always enjoyed,

Personally, I will hate to see the Sanctuary excluded from PS2.
Old 2011-07-15, 09:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
No, most likely not.

However, what you CAN do is summon large amounts of coordinated players, thereby massing firepower, and camp the living fuck out of it. As soon as anyone leaves the exclusion zone...

Without suitable defenses, such as overpowered Level 55 Champions carrying one-shot mega-weapons of death, or sufficient quantities of turrets that players cannot man, each turret dealing raging quantities of doom, foothold/uncapturable bases will be camp fests. Ever seen a warpgate camp in PS? I plan on doing exactly what I did in the early months following PS's retail launch: rallying a bunch of coordinated players and laying down enough firepower to stop anything from coming out. Only, instead of a warpgate camp this will be a foothold camp.
Old 2011-07-15, 09:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
Without suitable defenses, such as overpowered Level 55 Champions carrying one-shot mega-weapons of death, or sufficient quantities of turrets that players cannot man, each turret dealing raging quantities of doom, foothold/uncapturable bases will be camp fests. Ever seen a warpgate camp in PS? I plan on doing exactly what I did in the early months following PS's retail launch: rallying a bunch of coordinated players and laying down enough firepower to stop anything from coming out. Only, instead of a warpgate camp this will be a foothold camp.
Nail on head. I don't know how SOE doesn't see this coming. Unless of course they do have something in mind for Uber defense.

But in any case, the feel of conquering a continent is taken out simply by these bases. Why not just have a damn sanctuary. Were talking about minutes of travel to get back to where you want to be.
Old 2011-07-15, 10:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Tool
Master Sergeant

Capitals had domes, why couldn't these bases have some similar mechanic to prevent that base rape you're worried about. They said they aren't capturable, it seems doubtful they would be attackable in a game like this.

But who knows? Perhaps they aren't ground bases at all, but those mega cruisers like suggested in that other thread?
Old 2011-07-15, 11:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Tool View Post
Capitals had domes, why couldn't these bases have some similar mechanic to prevent that base rape you're worried about. They said they aren't capturable, it seems doubtful they would be attackable in a game like this.

But who knows? Perhaps they aren't ground bases at all, but those mega cruisers like suggested in that other thread?
Warpgates had domes too, doesn't mean you can't camp there and wait. Especially if they don't have many other options.
Old 2011-07-15, 11:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

You don't seem to get the point. I'm **NOT** talking about base-raping and spawn-camping and invading your uncapturable base.

If you/I can't do this...

Then you/I can certainly do this:

Old 2011-07-16, 02:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

I agree. I'm sure the devs have already hashed out a plan for preventing gate campers. It would be awesome to have a floating mobile base up above the "ceiling height" of the world, so that air vehicles couldn't fly up and camp newly spawned players.

The floating base could have everything the old Sancs did, from certification terminals to VR to ranges to staging areas, and when you're ready to get into the fight you could take a drop pod down to a selected point on the continent below.
Old 2011-07-15, 12:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Well your simply consistanly complaining about an unwanted issue then advocating it's use in one of your posts, ie. camping warpgates. Instead of whining like a child which you are, propose something valid with your "experience" as an alternative or system to limit or restrict it's use?

If all your going to do is complain or attack simple ideas, there's no reason you should be in a forum for discussion, simple as that.
I'm not allowed anymore by Forum Etiquette to insult you anymore so I can't call you a fucking idiot without getting banned. So I'll address the points you think you're making: I'm not complaining. Is that what you call making a valid point? By your logic, anyone who disagrees with you is complaining? Umadbro? I think so. You're just mad because I fucking destroyed your suggestion about base domes. Cry me a river, Justin Timberlake.

"Attack simple ideas"? Pardon me, chap. I believe you ASKED ON A PUBLIC FORUM direct-quote: "Capitals had domes, why couldn't these bases have some similar mechanic to prevent that base rape you're worried about." Don't get all butt-hurt because I replied and gave you ample reasons why that wasn't a saucy idea.

"Propose something valid" you say? How about this?

Originally Posted by Logit View Post
Nail on head. I don't know how SOE doesn't see this coming. Unless of course they do have something in mind for Uber defense.
Sorry, I missed this in my zealous zealness of zeal to prosecute an explanation at why base-raping was not equivalent to camping and why base domes were not sufficient defense.

My suggestion, so as to avoid looking like I'm just trolling Tool, is either make sure that Sanctuaries and HARTs are in-game (Sanctuaries provide a large inviolable safe haven and HART ensures a flawless means of getting to combat without being camped)...

... or make these "uncapturable bases" something like what's in the concept art: that big effin' mothership. Institute a flight ceiling similar to what's in Planetside 1 (only, a lot higher). And then put the mothership well above that. This gives feasibility to what I call "lore whores" who want to know, from where are those drop pods coming? It also allows you to launch aircraft out of the safe zone - they fall right into the flight zone (ie, the stuff between sea level and flight ceiling) and zoom-zoom, they're in the game.

Kinda hard to camp something you can't get to by existing game mechanics. Kinda like Sanctuaries in Planetside, heyoohhh!!

Last edited by Firefly; 2011-07-15 at 01:05 PM.
Old 2011-07-15, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Manitou
Contributor
Old War Horse

But even a drop-ship has a location where you come into range of the enemy. How do they prevent that from being a camped spot?
Old 2011-07-15, 01:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Tool
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
I'm not allowed anymore by Forum Etiquette to insult you anymore so I can't call you a fucking idiot without getting banned. So I'll address the points you think you're making: I'm not complaining. Is that what you call making a valid point? By your logic, anyone who disagrees with you is complaining? Umadbro? I think so. You're just mad because I fucking destroyed your suggestion about base domes. Cry me a river, Justin Timberlake.

"Propose something valid" you say? How about this?

Sorry, I missed this in my zealous zealness of zeal to prosecute an explanation at why base-raping was not equivalent to camping and why base domes were not sufficient defense.

My suggestion, so as to avoid looking like I'm just trolling Tool, is either make sure that Sanctuaries and HARTs are in-game (Sanctuaries provide a large inviolable safe haven and HART ensures a flawless means of getting to combat without being camped)...

... or make these "uncapturable bases" something like what's in the concept art: that big effin' mothership. Institute a flight ceiling similar to what's in Planetside 1 (only, a lot higher). And then put the mothership well above that. This gives feasibility to what I call "lore whores" who want to know, from where are those drop pods coming? It also allows you to launch aircraft out of the safe zone - they fall right into the flight zone (ie, the stuff between sea level and flight ceiling) and zoom-zoom, they're in the game.

Kinda hard to camp something you can't get to by existing game mechanics. Kinda like Sanctuaries in Planetside, heyoohhh!!

Simple concept I shouldn't have to extrapolate on considering the very little known facts on gameplay. Complain, then cite an example I already gave as a potential solution for sancs, laughable man.

As for the f'n idiot snippet, you are not clever, seemingly unable to read, vuglar, constantly display reasons why I should have little respect for you or your opinion. Is this how you talk to people at work or other places?
Old 2011-07-15, 04:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Bags
Lieutenant General

You can already camp raids coming out of warpgates.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault