Don't dumb down PS2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: > Jesus
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-07, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Don't dumb down PS2

You dumb this down, SONY won't get a penny from me.

Signed, A very angry person who just bought the dumbed down Diablo 3.
Old 2012-07-07, 05:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Ratstomper
Major

Re: Don't dumb down PS2

...Diablo wasn't always dumbed down?
Old 2012-07-07, 05:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Policenaut
Sergeant

The only ways they could dumb down PS2 that I can think of is regenerating health and having enemy names over their heads.
Old 2012-07-07, 05:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
NoDachi
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Policenaut View Post
The only ways they could dumb down PS2 that I can think of is regenerating health and having enemy names over their heads.
I used to be a bittervet too.

Until I watched the e3 streams. But they don't have names over heads anymore, like in the very early alpha vids.
Old 2012-07-07, 05:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Policenaut View Post
How about spawn on squad, no AMS, no bombers, no flail, no multi-person vehicles, and "classes".

How will the mines be? One mine per person now?
Old 2012-07-07, 05:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
NoDachi
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Buggsy View Post
How about spawn on squad, no AMS, no bombers, no flail, no multi-person vehicles, and "classes".

Well there is galaxy-ams, the liberator has a bomber mob and multi-person vehicles exist.
Old 2012-07-07, 05:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Landtank
Second Lieutenant

There is an AMS, there are Bombers, Flails are gay as what, there are MANY multi person vehicles, and classes are way better than the jack-of-all trades infantry we have in PS1.
Old 2012-07-07, 05:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Stew
Major

Sunderer (deployed ) and galaxies (deployed) have the respawn roles now

Also the liberator is now a hybrid with multi purpose SAME ROLES just less developpements costs and testing at launch !

They have Keep the (( others )) Vehicules purpose and integrate them in existing vehicles ! Like sunderer and galaxie and also liberator etc..

Sames roles different vehicules so where it hurt the tactics ? No F where !
Old 2012-07-07, 06:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Either the OP hasn't really bothered to read much of the available info on PS2, or they're yet another bitter-vet that had hoped PS2 would be essentially PS1 with updated graphics and higher population counts.

I am so glad the game is actually being made more complicated. I felt PS1 was simplistic as hell. No depth to the certs. My cycler was always a cycler. I couldn't tune it into the cycler I wanted it to be. I basically picked what I liked and hit instant action, then performed the same as everyone else with it. I was choosing equipment or vehicle access, but really, that's about as deep as it got.

I had rexo/weapon/weapon/med/eng... just like everyone else.

Let's not forget the lattice system. Chee, if you want predictable! You knew where the enemy was going. It was practically pointed out for you with great big, bold lines! But between base A and base B, there was little point in combat unless the dead space between both points was a bridge (essentially, the only real choke point.)

Your enemies tactics included gal drops on the CC/gen (amp/tech and bio-lab, respectively) or on the back door. MAX crashes were a bit rarer, but you still expected them. And you KNEW there were vultures in the sky just picking off infantry left and right, because flying rocket spamming cameras are hard to work with, amiright? Don't get me started on the oh so interesting "dog fights." Coincidentally, they really did look like dog fights in the natural expectation of the term: two snarling, circling beasts snapping at each other.

Oh, and by the way, your aim need only be over the over-bloated hitbox of the avatar to do damage, and it didn't matter where on that hitbox your shots landed, they did a set amount of damage every time.

Oh yeah... PS2 is totally getting dumbed down... The limitations of the tech (and in some cases, vision like with base/tower design) at the time made PS1 dumbed down by default.
Old 2012-07-07, 07:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Squad spawn will be limited, the set-it-and-forget it AMS has been replaced by a Galaxy that has to be deployed and defended or used to shuttle infantry from staging points, the Liberator bomber is in and has about eleventy-billion options for how to rain death on the enemy, the Flail was a PITA and we can do without, plenty of multiperson vehicles, and classes mean that not everyone will be running around with the same nanite gun, med gun, HA, and AV.

PlanetSide 2 has become simpler where it needed to be, and much more complex in others.

And as as others have said... Diablo 3? Really? You played the earlier games for their sophisticated game mechanics? I think if I introduced you to EVE Online, your head might explode.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2012-07-07, 07:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Electrofreak View Post
Squad spawn will be limited, the set-it-and-forget it AMS has been replaced by a Galaxy
How can there be a frontline if the AMS can fly and infantry can spawn on infantry?

This isn't getting more complex it is dumbing down.

Originally Posted by ChookWantan View Post
You've got to be trolling.
#3 ignore list
Old 2012-07-07, 05:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
OnexBigxHebrew
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Ratstomper View Post
Right? Game was about looting and potting, didn't take much thought. Don't get me wrong, I like it...but dude, bad example.
Old 2012-07-07, 05:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Ratstomper View Post
Amazingly it was dumbed down further. One small step for ARPG's, one giant leap for dumbing down.
Old 2012-07-07, 05:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Stew
Major

You dumb this down, SONY won't get a penny from me.

Signed, A very angry person who just bought the dumbed down Diablo 3.
I like playing support, cause playing frontal assault can get boring after a while.

My favorite unit in PS1 was the AMS. I liked scouting ahead, then setting up an AMS and defending it with mines and spitfires. While the CR5's were playing Rommel wannabe's I was out there setting up spawn points and actually directing the flow of the battle. Each player that spawned on my AMS was my little chess piece.

AMS kept getting OS'ed.

I also liked playing anti-mine grenadier. I'd load up my rifle with EMP grenades (forgot the name of common rifle but it had a grenade launcher). When assaulting gates, usually the courtyard was full of mines, and I could simultaneously engage enemy infantry and take out mines with EMP grenades. It was a slow process but It still worked fine and I liked it.

Eventually everyone got CR and they just OS EMP the courtyard in every battle. So that playstyle was obsolete.

I also liked using delaying tactics. My last memory of playing PS1:

I decided to guard a back door from an attack. I strategically placed one mine behind each tree, so if an enemy were to take cover behind a tree opposite of where I placed myself, they would step on a mine. Then I'd put spitfires up in a crossfire pattern on the other side of trees facing me. Took me 10 minutes to setup and plan. It wasn't a very lethal setup, it was designed to slow the enemy down from accessing the back door. I place myself into defensive position.

15 minutes later a truck full of 5 enemies pulls up, they all hop out and I start shooting at them. They all take cover behind a tree, I hear 2 mines go off and grin a little. Nobody gets killed, but that's not my goal, my goal is to slow them down. I keep taking potshots at them, and I hear some of my spitfire turrets go off, and they destroy a couple of my spitfires.

Still no enemies dead, but that's not my goal, my goal is to delay them. They could have flanked my position and killed me, since my setup was pretty much at a 90 degree angle in between the trees and the back door. That was my weakness.

I delay them for a good 90 seconds until an EMP OS goes off and destroys everything. I exit the game and unsubscribe.

This an anti-OS topic? Not really. I am interested in tactics, counter tactics, counter-counter tactics, counter-counter-counter tactics, counter-counter-counter-counter tactics... OS reduces tactics, it simplifies the game, it dumbs it down. I am against reducing tactics, like spawning on top of the squad leader (yuck).

This isn't about PS1, it's about Tactics and dumbing down PS2.

I can't really give PS2 examples since it's not a released game.
LOLLLLLLLLLLLL

Nothing as beeen (( dumb down )) in planetside 2 they have remoove some few vehicules to replace it by others who as the same roles it reduce the developpement cost and serve the same purpose ...

Also planetside 2 will be more action and front lines assault oriented Instead of having a (( hang around )) and Chill around gameplay some times

Planetside 2 isnt a pic nic like it was sometimes in Ps1

their will be more action more contestation over territory and Much more thing to do

Also down the road they will ad features vehicules etc.. depending on How much suport they have from the vast PC community !

All your post isnt about tactics since youll have a way more tactics and thing available to you in planetside 2

You talk about squad respawn ? This isnt tactical ? If i say i use Squad leader (( infiltrator )) who sneak up into a based and make their 9 squad member droping with pod on him this isnt a viable tactics ?

Sorry but all this dont make sens

Like i said to you in your previous post about the same topic also

Everything thats you said is FARRRRR for the actual reality try to learn what planetside 2 is all about before claming such wrong things

Planetside 2 will be more tactical and will have more options more custumisation more gameplay mechanics and more people to figth and conter

So if you cant see thats and try to claim the COD clone arguments you are Biased and dont belong to be part of this game

You really seams to be in bad faith just saying !
Old 2012-07-07, 05:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Stardouser
Colonel

These are called modern FPS features and are not "dumbing down". Dumbing down would be things like positional killcam, 3D spotting, etc, things that help unskilled players beat the skilled players.

An exception would of course be allowing one seat tanks, that's dumbing down, yes. Bombers is probably a balance issue and too many people cry about flails, but removing them isn't "dumbing down".

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-07-07 at 05:35 PM.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion