News: New TotalBiscuit Video on IMPLANTS - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Todays quotes have been brought to you by the word 1337.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-08-07, 11:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
MacTruckuLes
Private

New TotalBiscuit Video on IMPLANTS

video posted on TB's twitter

Old 2012-08-07, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Greeniegriz
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Misc Info

Nice thanks

Cheers.

Sent from Auraxis using Tapatalk HD

PSU Folding Team - Join Today!
Don't follow me on Twitter
Old 2012-08-07, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
IgloGlass
Master Sergeant

Re: New TotalBiscuit Video on IMPLANTS

It was nice knowing that implants will only last for 24 hours, not too long, not too short. Of course it would also be nice having them on at all times but this makes it easier for new players. Makes everyone more equal.

Planetside 2. Not Pay to Win, not Pay to Play and not Play to Win either
Old 2012-08-08, 04:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by IgloGlass View Post
Planetside 2. Not Pay to Win, not Pay to Play and not Play to Win either
A game is either pay to win or play to win. A game can't be neither. I think a games should be play to win.

I think the implants shown here is very close to be P2W if you can buy them with SC. Sure it's not allot of difference but as he say it's a small enough difference to be worth using. And that is enough for me to call it P2W. It's defiantly P2W if you're going to compete with the top 1% of the best players on the server.
Old 2012-08-08, 04:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Otleaz
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
A game is either pay to win or play to win. A game can't be neither. I think a games should be play to win.
I'm going to assume by play to win you mean that you need to invest time to stay competitive, and I am going to have to disagree.

With both Tribes and LoL, they put the player into an introductory matchmaking for an amount of time that is just long enough to completely get one rune page or max out one equipment set.

Disregarding skill, a player will be at a competitive level with people who have played for years as soon as they finish this introductory matchmaking. The only difference is, they will only be competitive if they use the single loadout they maxed out until they unlock more.
Old 2012-08-08, 04:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by Otleaz View Post
I'm going to assume by play to win you mean that you need to invest time to stay competitive, and I am going to have to disagree
I meant time + skill. As with every thing in life the more time you spend doing something the better you will be at it. So time + skill = the same thing here.

But yes if you play more you will earn levels faster and other things faster then some one that is not playing the game and that is fair to me. Because we all have 24 hours on the day that we can dispose of as we like. If you have wife and kids that hinder you from being online its not my problem its your problem and I should not have to suffer for that in game.

Last edited by Sunrock; 2012-08-08 at 04:43 AM.
Old 2012-08-08, 05:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Liwen Diamond
Corporal

If you have wife and kids that hinder you from being online its not my problem its your problem and I should not have to suffer for that in game.
So your saying in order to remain competitive in a video game I should neglect my family, my work and other RL projects to be 100% dedicated to the game to avoid you 'suffering' from not having your straight up play to win upgrade system instead of a play for variety sidegrade system.

If that's the way SOE is taking their game, I cannot consider it a proper competitive environnement and will therefore not treat it as such. Anyone from any outfit anywhere asking me to 'get serious' is going to be anwsered with a casual laughter as I indulge in activities that will bring me the most instant pleasure instead of even trying to play the game competitively, such as dropping my galaxies into the ocean and randomly dogfighting other aircrafts without consideration for objective base gameplay.

Many other people are going to follow suit with me and PS2 will remain a casual plaything. It will likely still be very successful and profitable, just not the game that many people around these forums are wishing for. And all of that because we could not handle the mind crushing nightmare of not having straight up power increases in the game. Obviously we can't be satisfied with simply playing an awesome fun game for the sake of playing an awesome fun game, we must have levels!
Old 2012-08-08, 04:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Scotsh
Sergeant

Of course it can. You only seem having dificulties to distinguish getting better at the game and earning bonuses.

I think the implants shown here is very close to be P2W if you can buy them with SC. Sure it's not allot of difference but as he say it's a small enough difference to be worth using. And that is enough for me to call it P2W. It's defiantly P2W if you're going to compete with the top 1% of the best players on the server.
1. They are NOT buyable with SC, this is very clearly shown in the video.

2. As we have established you never played PS1. There will never be something like a ranking of who is in the 1% on a server. If such an ranking would be made, i would never reflect 1on1 performance.

You are applying the very limited scope of games like BF or CoD, but is not at all comparable. PS is a different thing.
Old 2012-08-08, 05:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by Scotsh View Post
1. They are NOT buyable with SC, this is very clearly shown in the video.
Yes but it's still beta. I believe it when I see the game go live.

Originally Posted by Scotsh View Post
2. As we have established you never played PS1. There will never be something like a ranking of who is in the 1% on a server. If such an ranking would be made, i would never reflect 1on1 performance.

You are applying the very limited scope of games like BF or CoD, but is not at all comparable. PS is a different thing.
I'm an old gamer... I have played allot more games then BF and CoD. PS1 is one of the few online games I never played sure. Because at the time PS one came out I was playing SWG. But I have enough experience to know that players will always find a way to rank and measure players against each other even though there are no game mech that does it for them.

But SOE have even talked about an app so you can follow your friends stats progression to see there accuracy, D/K ratio and what not where ever you are on your phone or i-pad. So even if there are no direct ladder ranking in this game you can safely bet that players are going to go and look at those to see who is best at doing things.

at 5:45 you can see what Im talking about. And that site reminds me allot of what you can have in BF3.

Last edited by Sunrock; 2012-08-08 at 05:11 AM.
Old 2012-08-08, 05:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Scotsh
Sergeant

But SOE have even talked about an app so you can follow your friends stats progression to see there accuracy, D/K ratio and what not where ever you are on your phone or i-pad. So even if there are no direct ladder ranking in this game you can safely bet that players are going to go and look at those to see who is best at doing things.
Except that no one knowing the game will give a flying **** about those stats.
People will be renowned for the outfit or squad they serve in or they are leading, for their achievements in the progression of an empire in a persistant (server) world, not some lame K/D-value and what not.

And for those people who do admire those stats or need them to get their tissues wet... i couldnt care less.
Old 2012-08-07, 11:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
lMABl
Master Sergeant

Huh, wasn't expecting this. Nice!
Old 2012-08-07, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Solidblock
Staff Sergeant

Nice one mate
Old 2012-08-07, 11:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
MacTruckuLes
Private

alot of these implants remind me of COD and tribes:Acesend perks.
Old 2012-08-07, 11:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Sifer2
Major

I actually don't like the 24 hour thing. Especially considering how weak they are. Probably wont bother with them unless there is nothing else to spend Auraxium on. PS1 implants were a lot cooler.
Old 2012-08-07, 12:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Tuoweit
Private

Originally Posted by Sifer2 View Post
I actually don't like the 24 hour thing. Especially considering how weak they are. Probably wont bother with them unless there is nothing else to spend Auraxium on. PS1 implants were a lot cooler.
The vehicle timer ones seemed relatively cheap (25 each, 50 for the combos), while the advanced infantry ones are the expensive ones (200 for the level 3 stuff). If you want to play as a dedicated infantry guy, you aren't going to be spending a lot of your resources on vehicles, so this does give you something to spend them on to improve that particular playstyle. Very nice!

As to being weak, sure they're not Personal Shield or Second Wind, but in a fast-paced shooter that split second faster reload time or weapon swapping can make a difference.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion