IMO KillCam killing the Game - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We Love Sporks!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: KillCam in Planetside2?
No-Go 198 72.53%
No Problem 75 27.47%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-01-31, 12:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Gortha
First Sergeant

IMO KillCam killing the Game

Hey Guys,

what do you think about some KillCam feature you all know from CoD or BF3 in PS2?

I personally think it´s game breaking and killing the immersion, the feeling playing some real battle.
I don´t want to see who killed me, how and from where he did it.
I want to find him myself, if the killer is still around.

Post you opinions and vote!

Regards
Gortha

http://z0r.de/1573
Old 2012-01-31, 12:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: IMO KillCam killing the Game

>IMO KillCam killing the Game
Not sure how it's killing the game if we haven't even tested it.

That being said, I do not like it.
Old 2012-01-31, 12:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Zulthus
Colonel

Of course myself and the majority of the playerbase do not want it, but since the COD/BF crowd do the team is going to put it in anyway. Not going to argue about it anymore myself.
Old 2012-01-31, 01:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Azren
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
Of course myself and the majority of the playerbase do not want it, but since the COD/BF crowd do the team is going to put it in anyway. Not going to argue about it anymore myself.
This. While they keep stressing how they want to please old PS players, it seams that apart from the item names, everything changed to pelase the CoD/BF carebears.

Great startegy by the way; make a game for those players who are first to jump boat when a new shiny BF or CoD comes out instead for those who stuck with PS since it's release.
Old 2012-01-31, 01:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Tasorin
Staff Sergeant

This is why you don't listen to most the crying a community does.

Kill Cam is bad, M'kay.

That is all.
Old 2012-02-01, 09:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Chinchy
Staff Sergeant

I speak for that crowd and we don't like it either don't know why the AAA Devs think people like that crap.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-02-01, 10:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

This has obviously been a very controversial topic for some of you. We want you to know we are of course reading through all this feedback.

If I could delve further though, are there restrictions that would make the kill cam bearable for those who are very against it?
Old 2012-02-01, 10:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
HitbackTR
Sergeant

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
This has obviously been a very controversial topic for some of you. We want you to know we are of course reading through all this feedback.

If I could delve further though, are there restrictions that would make the kill cam bearable for those who are very against it?
Hi Radar. I am 99.999999999% against kill-cams in PS2 as I don't believe it is a feature which promotes the spirit of Planetside's unique gameplay. For me the only concession I would make is to have the ability to have kill-cam toggled off by me meaning that if I were to kill someone then the person would not be able to see where I was or where I was going because I had turned it off. Problem solved right? This, for me at least, is the ONLY way I could condone it being in game.

I believe if you are doing the killing then the advantage should remain with you as you earned it. Also the option to give up that advantage should also be your choice to give up instead of if being a default feature of the game which rewards the victim with info about your whereabouts, (intended or otherwise) after dying.
Old 2012-02-01, 10:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Vancha
Colonel

Assuming snipers exist entirely within the infiltrator class? Giving infiltrators (and thus snipers as well) an in-built way to avoid being "kill-cammed" would seem to make the most sense (speculatively), or perhaps it could be an infiltrator skill with a relatively small training time? I know having anti-killcam as an implant has been mentioned, but if implant slots are limited, it'd be the same problem that infiltrators had with sensor shield in PS1 - automatically losing an implant slot for something that was practically mandatory.

Edit: Then again, I'm mistakenly assuming that other classes wouldn't have an issue with this.

Edit II: To put it bluntly, if kill cams didn't reveal people's locations, I imagine it'd be bearable for most people who have a problem with it.

Edit III: What if the kill cam itself was an implant (again, assuming implant slots are precious), and infiltrators (and thus snipers) had a skill they could train to block it? That would almost make it bearable.

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-02-01 at 10:53 PM.
Old 2012-02-01, 10:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

I like the idea of, instead of watching it while waiting to respawn, they are stored for later viewing. For a limited time of course.
Old 2012-02-01, 10:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
WaryWizard
Sergeant

the restriction that would make me happiest is the ability to make it where I can't see it. Personally I don't care a hole lot if my enemies have killcam. I just hate having to skip it everytime I die. When I play COD the moment I die I skip. When I play battlefield I look at my layout and check my gear till I can respawn. I just don't use it in any form cause I find it useless.(previous posts of mine further expand on that)

I would rather have an auto skip option. plz
Old 2012-02-01, 10:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
BigBossMonkey
Master Sergeant

Put a skill somewhere in each class tree for disabling killcams if they want (early on in the tree)

That way it doesn't kill implant slots, and everyone is happy.

If people want to leave killcams on, they are on. If they don't then they have the option of disabling them.
Old 2012-02-02, 12:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Marth Koopa
Banned

Giving snipers a "no killcam" skill would be the easiest way. It's not like a killcam is going to affect other classes who are going to be on the move all the time.

Also, I would really like to be able to turn off viewing killcams outright. To be perfectly honest, it would be immersion-breaking for me to see my killer. When I die, I want to see the dirt in my face.
Old 2012-02-02, 01:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
RodenyC
Master Sergeant

I think it was this thread that someone suggested that killcam should be on until say BR10.I'm not sure how BR will work in PS2 but something along those lines would be nice.If not turned off make it a option in the settings at that rank.So if I have killcam off it shows the person I just killed the background from where they were killed at or the base closest to them.
Old 2012-02-02, 01:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
CidHighwind
Master Sergeant

To make the Killcam more bearable, I would first and foremost like it to be acknowledged that there are two distinct uses for killcams from a player perspective.

First, It is used simply as a way for individual players who heavily stress K/D ratios to moan and complain about how Bull**** that last kill was, and how the game is broken without repair or suggestion.

Secondly, it is used by tactical minds to gather information surrounding the area of death to avoid near future deaths, and to "meta-game" - i.e. obtain and use information that they might not normally be able to gain through regular means (read, having not died) to gain an advantage.

To correct this problem, I would suggest this. A simple two option toggle in game. Each player has the option to turn off or on the ability to VIEW their own deaths, as well as the option to have others view their kills.

This makes everyone as happy as possible in this situation. Those that like to know will occasionally be allowed to see their deaths , but only by those who don't care if they are seen. I do recognize the fact that others might be affected by another players indifference, but in a unfair world, sometimes we need to compromise.

A second suggestion, though I like this one less, is to have a view station available in all bases to empires who currently control bio labs. Use of the terminal costs resources to view your most recent death. Thematically this would be cool, as it could be like the NS machinery recording your last iterations final seconds. The more resources you spend, the more you can see --- Name of player, visible radius surrounding the scene of death, Number of shots it took to die, the accuracy of the shooter.... This creates another resource drain, satisfies the first type of player who uses kill cams to b****, and also allows the second type of player to do what they like - analyze data.

Just my block thoughts.

Last edited by CidHighwind; 2012-02-02 at 01:34 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion