PSU: Where New Jersey is banned.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2006-06-05, 10:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Giovanni
Colonel

So I was thinking...

And thinking never leads to anything good for me but what the hell?!

I was wondering why the hell is there no WWI games out there? Atleast... none that I know of. I know it was a trench war and all but it could fun.... no?
Old 2006-06-05, 10:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

You get either a machine gun, or a bolt action rifle. With or without and internal magazine.

And lots of artilery.

In trenches, with mud, and rats, and rotting people.

If you stick your head up into no man's land, it ceases to exist.

Kinda boring.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2006-06-05 at 10:24 PM.
Old 2006-06-05, 10:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Giovanni
Colonel

Bah! If in medal of honor you can kill the entire german army on your own I'm sure we could do some creative thinking with WWI !
Old 2006-06-05, 11:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Setari
General

There's a HL1 mod called The Trenches, obviously based on WWI, and it's extremely fun. Essentially, it's CTF where the flags are surrounded by trenches and everyone gets bolt rifles, but I find it great fun.
Old 2006-06-06, 09:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Setari
There's a HL1 mod called The Trenches, obviously based on WWI, and it's extremely fun. Essentially, it's CTF where the flags are surrounded by trenches and everyone gets bolt rifles, but I find it great fun.
That sounds pretty cool, going to go look for it. Are there some active servers?
Old 2006-06-06, 09:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

I'm still waiting for Battlefield: Civil War

they're kinda running out of options
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2006-06-06, 11:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Hamma
PSU Admin

We need more wars so we have more game options.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2006-06-06, 11:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Setari
General

Originally Posted by 321
That sounds pretty cool, going to go look for it. Are there some active servers?
I haven't played it in a while, but everytime I did there were 2 or 3 near-full servers, so those are probably still up. Not a huge amount of options, but it's still fun.
Old 2006-06-06, 12:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Kikinchikin

This is just me thinking at 2 am, but why not make it almost a strategy-fps combination game. Like you build your own trenches and bases or something and then move the troops, artillery, tanks/vehicles etc into positions and then fight it out in first person. Online, the game wouldn't really be much different from a standard WWII shooter except the guns would of course be WWI weapons, although you could still incorporate the strategy into league play perhaps.
Old 2006-06-06, 11:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Kikinchikin

I think it'd be cool if they took the idea of different roles used in CoD with soldiers from each Allied country, but went the extra mile. Have a campaign specifically for a medic, pilot, tanker, and of course grunt. If done properly it could be pretty sweet, if they really make the campaigns extremely different.

Again the multiplayer wouldn't be that different than BF, but there's only so much you can do with shooters in the online department.
Old 2006-06-06, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

I think firefly needs to lay off the coffee and maybe take a couple a pills of some sort.... he forgot his medication.
Old 2006-06-06, 02:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
xmodum
Colonel

Indeed.
Old 2006-06-06, 03:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Coffee is what relaxes me. It keeps me from dirt-drilling little a-hole punk kids in the neighborhood that scratch my truck when they're riding their skateboards in between parked cars. And I take my herbs every morning - what's the matter, can't keep up?
Old 2006-06-06, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Setari
General

So back to the original post, I think the basic thing is that when the idea of a WWI game comes up, everyone assumes ultra-realism. When you play Call of Duty, you don't get any mechanical problems or sicknesses. The gist of a WWI game would basically be what The Trenches is, except perhaps on a larger scale. Trench warfare, armed with bolt rifles, would not degrade into the attrition that happened in reality, because most people don't act like that when playing games. I think that if a WWI game were made, the pace would be slower than most games, but I think the fact that it is still a game would keep it from turning into a sit-fest.

EDIT: I'm thinking it might have to be a pretty large-scale game, maybe with a little bit faster pace than Planetside.

Last edited by Setari; 2006-06-06 at 03:19 PM.
Old 2006-06-06, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Setari
So back to the original post, I think the basic thing is that when the idea of a WWI game comes up, everyone assumes ultra-realism. When you play Call of Duty, you don't get any mechanical problems or sicknesses. The gist of a WWI game would basically be what The Trenches is, except perhaps on a larger scale. Trench warfare, armed with bolt rifles, would not degrade into the attrition that happened in reality, because most people don't act like that when playing games. I think that if a WWI game were made, the pace would be slower than most games, but I think the fact that it is still a game would keep it from turning into a sit-fest.

EDIT: I'm thinking it might have to be a pretty large-scale game, maybe with a little bit faster pace than Planetside.
The Germans used chemical warfare in WW1. You could incorporate that into the game. There's actually a movie about WW1 combat, I think it was a made-for-TV movie. I believe it was called "The Lost Battalion" or something similar. I caught the last battle they fought - didn't last long (TV-wise) so I can't estimate the time I got to watch it. Those dudes took some serious beatings. And the artillery duels... just DAMN!
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge