Greetings from Mordor(EA UK BF3 forums) - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The brakes on our hover vehicles work better than Toyota's!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-03-10, 06:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Stardouser
Colonel

Greetings from Mordor(EA UK BF3 forums)

Not sure if any of you follow it, but a lot of folks from the Battlefield community are looking forward to Planetside 2 based on the death of Battlefield as it begins to copy CoD.

And so let me first say, I never played PS1, and based on the battle stories I've read, it sounds like a shame.

And I do have two questions, they can be answered based on PS1 if PS2 info is not known.
1. I read on the Sony Planetside forum(which I can't currently post on with my EQ subscription not active) that the game pace is faster than PS1 but still WELL slower than CoD. Since this is a big issue to us disgruntled BF fans, any comments?

2. Out of curiosity...are there a lot of lock-on weapons in the game?

Note: I say greetings from the Mordor forums, I cannot however claim to speak for them but I do know many of us are cheering for this game to turn out well.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-03-10 at 06:58 PM.
Old 2012-03-10, 07:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Aurmanite
Captain

Re: Greetings from Mordor(EA UK BF3 forums)

In the original Planetside there was only one lock on weapon, the anti-vehicular weapon for the Terran Republic. This is going to chance in Planetside 2 as every empire will have a lock on AV weapon.

For your question on pace, check out the game play videos from GDC demo.
Old 2012-03-10, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Aurmanite View Post
In the original Planetside there was only one lock on weapon, the anti-vehicular weapon for the Terran Republic. This is going to chance in Planetside 2 as every empire will have a lock on AV weapon.

For your question on pace, check out the game play videos from GDC demo.
I am not against lock on weapons per se...just proliferation!

Question: Is the lock on weapon going to be infantry held? Or will both infantry and certain vehicle types have a lock weapon?
Old 2012-03-10, 07:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Question: Is the lock on weapon going to be infantry held? Or will both infantry and certain vehicle types have a lock weapon?
Only infantry as far as I know.
Old 2012-03-10, 09:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
SwitchView
Private

Misc Info

Originally Posted by sylphaen View Post
Only infantry as far as I know.
I'm not so sure about that, as I believe you can equip "Air-To-Air" Missiles on air vehicles, I do not believe there are lock on "Air-To-Ground" Missiles though.
Old 2012-03-11, 11:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by SwitchView View Post
I'm not so sure about that, as I believe you can equip "Air-To-Air" Missiles on air vehicles, I do not believe there are lock on "Air-To-Ground" Missiles though.
There is in fact a glimpse of A2A missiles being fired in the GDC footage, in Morto's video it's at 22:02
Old 2012-03-10, 07:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Zulthus
Colonel

I am not against lock on weapons per se...just proliferation!

All we know right now is that infantry have lock on weapons. It's a possibility vehicles will have it too.
Old 2012-06-01, 05:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Meecrob
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
All we know right now is that infantry have lock on weapons. It's a possibility vehicles will have it too.
We've seen that Air superiority fighters can be outfitted with lock on aa missles aswell in TB's E3 announcement video. In the original PS you also had the wasp.
Old 2012-03-10, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Duddy
First Sergeant

Can't answer with 100% authority obviously but...

1) Watch (remember Alpha footage is Alpha)

2) From we know so far, only lock on weapons that exists are the empire anti vehicle weapons.
Old 2012-03-10, 07:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Bags
Lieutenant General

Not sure if any of you follow it, but a lot of folks from the Battlefield community are looking forward to Planetside 2 based on the death of Battlefield as it begins to copy CoD.

And so let me first say, I never played PS1, and based on the battle stories I've read, it sounds like a shame.

And I do have two questions, they can be answered based on PS1 if PS2 info is not known.
1. I read on the Sony Planetside forum(which I can't currently post on with my EQ subscription not active) that the game pace is faster than PS1 but still WELL slower than CoD. Since this is a big issue to us disgruntled BF fans, any comments?

2. Out of curiosity...are there a lot of lock-on weapons in the game?

Note: I say greetings from the Mordor forums, I cannot however claim to speak for them but I do know many of us are cheering for this game to turn out well.
Time to kill varies from class to class (ligher classes are weaker and do less damage but maybe faster / have more utility / etc), but they've stated it will be between BF2 and PS1 (so probably 5 - 7 shots or so).

As of right now the only lock on's are empire specific anti vehicle.
Old 2012-03-10, 07:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Time to kill varies from class to class (ligher classes are weaker and do less damage but maybe faster / have more utility / etc), but they've stated it will be between BF2 and PS1 (so probably 5 - 7 shots or so).

As of right now the only lock on's are empire specific anti vehicle.
Time to kill is a concern but actually, when I personally talk about game pace, I'm talking about time between firefights/being fired at. Another way to say this is : We hope to have a choice between attacking the enemy with a head on grind, OR trying to be a bit stealthy and often not taking fire until getting caught...time between kills, that is.
Old 2012-03-10, 07:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Zulthus
Colonel

Time to kill is a concern but actually, when I personally talk about game pace, I'm talking about time between firefights/being fired at. Another way to say this is : We hope to have a choice between attacking the enemy with a head on grind, OR trying to be a bit stealthy and often not taking fire until getting caught...time between kills, that is.
The pace of the game is persistent. It's not like BF3 where you keep having to start a new round every ten minutes. There will always be fights going regardless of what time you log on. If that's what you were trying to ask.
Old 2012-03-10, 07:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
The pace of the game is persistent. It's not like BF3 where you keep having to start a new round every ten minutes. There will always be fights going regardless of what time you log on. If that's what you were trying to ask.
It's hard to compare because as you say, it's a persistent world, not a 30 minute round...but what I mean is, obviously I understand that as you get closer to a base the resistance gets tougher...but in general, BF3 can be no matter where you spawn at, even if you spawn back in your own areas, you can be shot at...no time to prepare between engagements even if you intentionally spawn further back with the intent of sneaking closer to the action from further away.
Old 2012-03-10, 07:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Zulthus
Colonel

It's hard to compare because as you say, it's a persistent world, not a 30 minute round...but what I mean is, obviously I understand that as you get closer to a base the resistance gets tougher...but in general, BF3 can be no matter where you spawn at, even if you spawn back in your own areas, you can be shot at...no time to prepare between engagements even if you intentionally spawn further back with the intent of sneaking closer to the action from further away.
Ahhh... well, each faction has a foothold on each continent, a staging area, which is out of bounds to other empires (kind of dumb if you ask me) but yes, you can spawn at your base and approach the action from any direction you please. There are no barriers. (Maybe the flight ceiling )
Old 2012-03-10, 07:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Shogun
Contributor
General

you can do everything. go with the zerg for grinding action, or go with an organised outfit for specops action! sneaky classes are also in, so cloak yourself and sneak through the backdoors.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion