Sniper rifle trail - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: PSU 2.0, Bigger,Badder,l33ter.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-06, 09:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Cuross
Master Sergeant

Sniper rifle trail

Okay, so I have an issue with nearly all shooters and tracer fire. As if hit indicators aren't enough, unnecessary tracer fire gives away your position nearly all the time. I have a special issue with sniper rifles and this trail they cause. Yes, snipers can be annoying, but snipers have a purpose: to scout, to remain hidden, and to take opportunities. So anyone who's been playing the game, is there any hint of a sniper rifle's "tracer" round? Wondering because it's already been said that it'll take two good hits from a sniper (once for shields and once for headshot) to kill, so I think that the tracer is going to be unnecessary, especially given the fact that if a sniper drains your shields, your first thought should probably be "Oh, *expletive*! Hide hide hide!" and not "Now where is that camping *expletive*?"

Or am I the only one who has this issue? I feel that a sniper should be unseen and unkown, and I wouldn't feel the least bit annoyed that a sniper got the better of me.
Old 2012-06-06, 09:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
SpcFarlen
First Sergeant

Re: Sniper rifle trail

Originally Posted by Cuross View Post
Okay, so I have an issue with nearly all shooters and tracer fire. As if hit indicators aren't enough, unnecessary tracer fire gives away your position nearly all the time. I have a special issue with sniper rifles and this trail they cause. Yes, snipers can be annoying, but snipers have a purpose: to scout, to remain hidden, and to take opportunities. So anyone who's been playing the game, is there any hint of a sniper rifle's "tracer" round? Wondering because it's already been said that it'll take two good hits from a sniper (once for shields and once for headshot) to kill, so I think that the tracer is going to be unnecessary, especially given the fact that if a sniper drains your shields, your first thought should probably be "Oh, *expletive*! Hide hide hide!" and not "Now where is that camping *expletive*?"

Or am I the only one who has this issue? I feel that a sniper should be unseen and unkown, and I wouldn't feel the least bit annoyed that a sniper got the better of me.
If you kill your target you remain unseen. Trails act as a negative reinforcement to bad aim in that way. You remain unseen, wait for the right moment, get the kill then leave your position if compromised.

Also during the livestream there were one shot head shots. Again unsure if that was just for demo, or not.
Old 2012-06-06, 09:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Redshift
Major

i imagine it depends on the weapon.
Probably the sniper rifle we saw with a trail was a very powerful one. We saw a smaller semi auto one without tracers too
Old 2012-06-06, 09:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

There was a tracer in the Day1 PS2E3, but it went in a very straight line without drop, so it's safe to assume that it wasn't a tracer, but a VS pewpewshot instead.

Bullet rifles don't get those obvious tracers even at night.

And, hell, afterall as one the best Werner snipers, I tell you, PS1 sniping was fine even with 0.7 sec tracers.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-06-06, 09:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Sabot
Second Lieutenant

I have the same problem.. I hate that every round is a tracer round in a machinegun or carbine. Snipers don't use em for obvious reasons... muzzle flashes/small smoke and/or dust clouds, louds bangs in the distance... these things are enough of a give away for sniper rifles imo.

Last edited by Sabot; 2012-06-06 at 09:52 AM.
Old 2012-06-06, 09:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
ArcIyte
Sergeant

boo hoo

Planetside 1 had many fun outdoor battles because snipers were largely irrelevant. Sadly, to draw in all the x420xVASILIZAITSEVx360noscopex crowd like yourself, sniping will probably be similar to BF3 and CoD (IE: ruining rifle-range fights at all times)

The harder it is to snipe the better the game will be

/drops mic

WWW.ENCLAVEOILRIG.COM

Last edited by ArcIyte; 2012-06-06 at 09:54 AM.
Old 2012-06-06, 09:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
bjorntju1
Captain

Originally Posted by ArcIyte View Post

/drops mic
Exactly.

I hope that when snipers fire, a big ''LOOK AT ME, HERE AM I'' sign pops up above their head with fireworks and stuff. I hate snipers.

Last edited by bjorntju1; 2012-06-06 at 09:56 AM.
Old 2012-06-06, 09:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by bjorntju1 View Post
I hope that when snipers fire, a big I AM HERE sign pops up above their head with fireworks and stuff. I hate snipers.
Hell, I love those who hate snipers (in computer games, because IRL it's a different story ).

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-06-06, 09:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Sabot
Second Lieutenant

boo hoo

Planetside 1 had many fun outdoor battles because snipers were largely irrelevant. Sadly, to draw in all the x420xVASILIZAITSEVx360noscopex crowd like yourself, sniping will probably be similar to BF3 and CoD (IE: ruining rifle-range fights at all times)
Says the guy flaunting his K/D in the sig.... Seriosuly, why make one option of playing useless just because you don't enjoy it or know how to play it/counter it. ES fighters are very specilized as well... better make them irrelevant so not to ruin game play for infantry...
Old 2012-06-06, 10:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Cuross
Master Sergeant

Well, I was a fairly decent sniper in PS1 myself, but my issue was that I would have a great spot, get the kill, but because of that tracer his buddies would ground pound the area before I had a chance to get to better cover. I would prefer if maybe instead of a tracer line there was a new hit indicator? Just a different color line showing you the direction of incoming fire? Well, that would make your screen all colorful in a firefight and jumbled. Maybe a 20 or 30% chance to fire a tracer round instead? Haha.

boo hoo

And the what the what crowd? Like myself? I'm sorry, but I'm not sure I fall under that kind of category, besides, snipers aren't ruining anything, they're just doing their jobs like "rifle-range" soldiers are doing theirs. Not to mention, I don't know if we were playing the same planetside, but good snipers were never irrelevant. Especially given how much more difficult sniping was in PS1 compared to other games.
Old 2012-06-06, 10:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
diLLa
Staff Sergeant

boo hoo

/drops mic
Well, if you keep trying to battle snipers with shotguns, then indeed, enjoy rifle range fights.
Old 2012-06-06, 10:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

I think it forces snipers to stay on the move, which is good in my opinion. You can still remain hidden, you can still scout and you can still take opportunities, you just can't do all 3 of those things at the same time without moving around.

What I don't want is for people to sit off on a hill somewhere totally stationary taking pot shots at people who are too busy with the local fighting to worry about locating some punk sniper 300m away. That kind of gameplay tends to remove the sniper from what's actually going on, so that he's playing in his own little world completely oblivious to anything but his own kill count. You can see the effects of this in any BF3 match, especially Conquest. It's not constructive gameplay for an objective based shooter like this.
Old 2012-06-06, 10:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Sabot
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I think it forces snipers to stay on the move, which is good in my opinion. You can still remain hidden, you can still scout and you can still take opportunities, you just can't do all 3 of those things at the same time without moving around.

What I don't want is for people to sit off on a hill somewhere totally stationary taking pot shots at people who are too busy with the local fighting to worry about locating some punk sniper 300m away. That kind of gameplay tends to remove the sniper from what's actually going on, so that he's playing in his own little world completely oblivious to anything but his own kill count. You can see the effects of this in any BF3 match, especially Conquest. It's not constructive gameplay for an objective based shooter like this.
False.

I can remember a dozen times where I, as LA with a Bolt Driver, was up on a moutain/hill a bit away from the base we currently were assaulting, scouting what was inside the CY, looking for incoming ANTs, spotting hidden enemy AMS' around the base, reporting it to my outfit and faction... all through the scope of a sniper rifle. To say it is not constructive game play in PS is simply false. Granted this could be done in other ways as well... but then we're back to that "make one class useless because some don't like them"-argument. And that is NOT constructive in PS if anything.
Old 2012-06-06, 10:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Sabot View Post
I can remember a dozen times where I, as LA with a Bolt Driver, was up on a moutain/hill a bit away from the base we currently were assaulting, scouting what was inside the CY, looking for incoming ANTs, spotting hidden enemy AMS' around the base, reporting it to my outfit and faction... all through the scope of a sniper rifle. To say it is not constructive game play in PS is simply false. Granted this could be done in other ways as well... but then we're back to that "make one class useless because some don't like them"-argument. And that is NOT constructive in PS if anything.
There's always exceptions.
Old 2012-06-06, 10:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
WVoneseven
Corporal

wah wah I couldn't have shot him so I couldn't save myself..... watch your surroundings as well as the sniper does... duck and cover like him too. Thats how you survive... tut tut.
Or get mad :P I mean it is what we are after in the first place! an emotional and damaging reaction!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion