PSU: Stupidity should be very painful!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion

Old 2012-06-27, 10:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
SKYeXile
Major General

FPS keybinding.

I wanted to see how many people are moving away from traditional keybinds such as WASD and space to jump and moving to something better for todays types of shooters? such as ESDF for movement.

I still use WASD, but only because i key a wolfclaw keypad and not using those keys would be stupid. but with games needing less emphasis on jumping and more on crouching are other people also changing out space for jump and having it as crouch?

like jump isn't used heaps now, for games where you need to keep it pressed id bind it to B(makes sense when you see my keypad) or a mouse button such as mouse 4/5 or scroll mouse if its not needed to be held down.

i dont like using the control or shift keys on the keyboard because my pinky finger hates me when i do, so i would bind sprint to mouse 4 or 5.

as for gay things like knife, still yet to find a bind i like, id like to hear what others use.

here's my keypad aswell, so people arnt like, B to jump?!?1 lawl.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-06-29, 02:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Zidane
Sergeant Major

Re: FPS keybinding.

Thats a pretty awesome pad!!
Old 2012-06-29, 10:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
IronMole
Sergeant Major

Standard KB with WASD setup... Today's FPS games don't require you to have loads of buttons bound, so things such as the Wolfclaw Keypad is pretty much pointless.
Old 2012-06-29, 10:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
TAA
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
I have been using this one for years as well. Just picked up a replacement one last week. Havent used my main keyboard for gaming in a long time, and would never go back to it. I hate keys that are staggered like awsd are on regular keyboards.

My mouse has two buttons on the left side for the thumb. One is always bound to pistol, one to knife.
Old 2012-06-29, 02:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Xyntech
Brigadier General

It took me a couple of years in my youth to finally make the switch to keyboard and mouse from my old keyboard only DOOM days. I fell in love quick, but I'm sometimes slow and stubborn to change with things like that.

Mostly I keep a lot of my keybindings the same as a games default settings, usually only juggling a couple around to suit what I'm used to. I've gotten pretty comfortable with contorting my hand into some pretty strange positions, so I haven't really felt an urgent need to change, but I'm sure I could still improve my experience with a few improvements.

I have been considering changing my keybinding philosophy up a little bit in the last few years. Lately I just haven't gotten so deep into any shooters that I've felt the motivation to bother. Maybe Planetside 2 will be enough motivation.

My dad got a razer nostromo key pad a few years back, but I never tried using it much. I like the layout on that wolfclaw better though. I might give one a try sometime.
Old 2012-06-29, 03:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Zulthus
Colonel

In PlanetSide I use WASD for movement (any FPS really) but I have crouch bound to space and jump bound to F. Surge is bound to MB4, darklight to mousewheel button, and enter/exit to MB5.

Any other games I just use the default controls because I'm used to them.
Old 2012-06-29, 08:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
TAA
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
My dad got a razer nostromo key pad a few years back, but I never tried using it much. I like the layout on that wolfclaw better though. I might give one a try sometime.
I havent tried the Nostromo but keep looking at it. It looks fantastic and I love the little joystick, but I dont think it could work for most of my gaming. There just arent enough keys on that thing.

The advantage of the Wolfclaw is that you can bind absolutely everything to it. For FPS most of the keys stay in default position anyway. I have never run out of room on it for any MMO I have played either.
Old 2012-07-02, 04:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Policenaut
Sergeant

I haven't made the move to ESDF yet. I've got this Razer Naga, so if I run out convenient keybind placements on my keyboard, I just put them on my mouse. It's been amazing so far.
Old 2012-07-02, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Zulthus
Colonel

ESDF just feels unnatural to me. All of the buttons around WASD are just easier to push for me. Try having your fingers on ESDF and your thumb on the spacebar. It feels like you're trying too hard and scrunching up your hand. I guess it varies by keyboard though.
Old 2012-07-03, 02:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
NumbaOneStunna
Sergeant

Screw buttons, I use Voice Activation.

I use a program called VoiceBuddy. (I have tried many of these programs and voicebuddy is by far the best.)

When I am playing HON, I just say "boots" to activate my boots or "mana" to activate my mana ring that way I don't need to take my fingers off my primary skill keys.

In an FPS game I use it for specialized functions because Jumping, Crouching, Reloading, Changing weapons, etc. is easily done with standard WASD keyboard layout it makes no sense to change. I will use voicebuddy for those specialized commands that require taking your fingers or hand away from the standard WASD layout.
Old 2012-06-29, 06:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
n2q0_matrix
Contributor
Corporal

I've always used ESDF. Give me more keys to access, and keeps hands aligned for chat. With the introduction of better VOIP, I might try some new devices on the market.
Old 2012-07-12, 10:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Antivide
Corporal

Mechanical keyboard. Cherry MX Black.

Had it over a year now, it's absolutely fantastic. It has an awesome "clickety clack" feel. As has a minor advantage in response time as mechanical keys are faster.

WASD with C for crouch instead of "ctrl".
Old 2012-07-14, 05:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Pella
Captain

Is it still ok to aim with your arrow keys?
Old 2012-07-14, 07:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I use an aimbot, so I only need one keybind.

Old 2012-07-14, 11:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Carnage
Sergeant

I use many keys in there defult like WASD but I bind a bunch of others to my G500, in borderlands for example;
Roll wheel;
-forward; Weapon 1
-back; Weapon 2
-left; Weapon 3
-right; Weapon 4

Thumb buttons
-forward; sprint/run
-centre; close combat/knife
-back; Mic or screenshot

-DPI +; throw grenade
-DPI -; special attack/power

CTRL is always crouch
right shift is always sprint/run (key that thumb forward is assigned)

Last edited by Carnage; 2012-07-14 at 11:27 AM.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion