Why this game needs old bitter vets - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Save me! Don't hit refresh!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-18, 04:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Irish
Private

Why this game needs old bitter vets

From the footage i have seen recently including one that had the VOIP of the players playing, more importantly how they were handling situations and reacting/nerd raging to certain in game events. i noticed that this game is going to be consumed with the accepted norm of current fps mentality. harassment, trolling, profanity, racism....add a F2P model with unlimited account creation possibility = a total recipe for disaster. i have read through the posts regarding the concerns about F2P already which are all mainly valid.

This game is going to heavily rely on old bitter vets, to renew old tactics and make them the accepted norm.

i watched a liberator pilot land his lib to repair, and get flamed by the gunner for taking to long, endless flame w/ harrasment.
this is the instant gratification "modern" fps gamers are used to.

i hope that with the overwhelming experience from vets, and large skilled outfits, our initial tactics and strategy set firm the foundation that made planetside 1 so great.

the opportunity to set the standard right off the bat is available to all of us. lets make it a mature experience, very much opposite of how LOL is currently. (just my example of the worst gaming community i have ever seen)
Old 2012-07-18, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Aerothorn
Private

Re: Why this game needs old bitter vets

I agree that the onus will be on vets to be community leaders. That said, it will be important to minimize the bitterness during active play. Chewing out new players not used to Planetside's tactical complexity and somewhat slower pace isn't going to make things better, it will just piss them off.
Old 2012-07-18, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
lolroflroflcake
Staff Sergeant

Minimizing bitterness is good, but if someone really does get mad at you for taking to long to fix the plane while they sit in the gunners seat its probably acceptable to turn the bitterness up to 11 at that moment. Actually just fly out of bounds or over water and dump them assuming that still works.

Last edited by lolroflroflcake; 2012-07-18 at 05:05 PM.
Old 2012-07-18, 05:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Logon
Private

Originally Posted by lolroflroflcake View Post
Minimizing bitterness is good, but if someone really does get mad at you for taking to long to fix the plane while they sit in the gunners seat its probably acceptable to turn the bitterness up to 11 at that moment. Actually just fly out of bounds or over water and dump them assuming that still works.
I really hope the lock mechanic makes a return
Old 2012-07-18, 08:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by lolroflroflcake View Post
This. I would of done that in a heartbeat.
Old 2012-07-18, 08:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
OnexBigxHebrew
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
This. I would of done that in a heartbeat.
Ice cold haha
Old 2012-07-18, 08:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
GhettoPrince
Staff Sergeant

Oh yeah, because people that played a video game 10 years ago are the only ones that understand teamwork and "tactics".

Of course planetside teamwork was hoping that someone remembered to bring an AMS or defend the generator and the only tactics were finding the AMS's and dropping the generators...
Old 2012-07-18, 05:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Aerothorn View Post
I agree that the onus will be on vets to be community leaders. That said, it will be important to minimize the bitterness during active play. Chewing out new players not used to Planetside's tactical complexity and somewhat slower pace isn't going to make things better, it will just piss them off.
Unfortunately I think we're going to see a lot of this. Despite what some may think, most veterans from PS1 were happy rays of sunshine. A lot of them were some of the most controlling and condescending assholes I've ever had the displeasure of playing with.

I don't think PS2 will exactly similar to PS1, but I think it will be similar enough to the point where veterans from the first game will have an edge terms of what needs to be done strategically. I think there's going to be a lot of bitter hate from the veterans of the first game coming down on the CoD/BF players that won't know what's going on.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2012-07-18, 05:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Aerothorn View Post
Bossing them around will piss them off. Telling them you played PS1 will just get them to outright ignore you. It's the internet, implicating in any way that you're their superior and not their equal will just add fuel to the fire.

For all intents and purposes, walking into PS2 without making obvious your PS1 experience when working with new bloods would be best in easing them in.

"This is what works..." vs "I learned this works..." Newbs are more likely to take helpful advice from... other newbs. Word everything like you're brand new too. I've found it helps a lot since it doesn't sound like you're bossing them around, but sharing learning experiences.

Don't get me wrong, some people do enjoy having the mentor type, but they're generally eager enough to learn that they can figure out the basics fairly quickly on their own, or likewise, they're nice, but too incapable of learning that it's a frustrating ordeal teaching them how to do the basics. Just... play being their equal, and show your experience as they warm up to you.

...We'll get classic MMORPG players trying out Planetside asking how to click on abilities... count on it.

Regarding tactics: I imagine a lot of the tactics and strageies we pulled in PS1 we'll have to either outright drop or heavily modify for PS2. There is no more single CC, no single generator, no lattice, no backdoor - things a lot of said tactics revolved around.

We have hexes. Hexes influence a variety of things, including hack times. We have resources. We have squad spawning (which hexes influence.) We have galaxies that act as spawn points (depending on hex influence) and can carry two squads of people. Let's not forget about all the freakin' customizability of just about everything you can get your grubby mitts on, including the camo and decals on your gun. Classes especially require a new approach to infantry encounters, as there may be a greater inclination towards prioritizing targets than PS1 ever had. Then there are other tangible variables, like continental benefits (non-existent as of now,) or just how beneficial facility bonuses may be.

One really big thing I hope not to see is everyone focusing solely on the bases: this is something I expect strictly from PS1 vets actually. Towers and bunkers/outposts (the Indar fly through in the last 6 minutes of Higby's 46 minute presentation revealed some fairly sizeable outposts that weren't bases) will be just as important to capturing a base as the base itself. Refer to hexes influencing capture times for the why. I expect Call of Duty and especially Battlefield players to see a capture point and gun for it, even fight ferociously over it, because it's what they were trained to do.

As a vet myself, I won't be naively walking into PS2 thinking "I got this." A LOT has changed from PS1. The base concept of massive cluster-**** battles is still there, along with mixed arms and the three empires and their dogma's. Beyond that, it's a whole new game.

Jumping into the fight expecting to win because of my PS1 experience sounds more like a burden than an aid. I'm not one to blind myself to reality for the sake of my self-indulgent imaginings. I think the experiences of working with one's outfit will pay off big time, but the meta game PS1 had likely won't translate very well at all into PS2. Coincidentally I think this will be a point of disinterest and frustration to some PS1 vets.

The new guys will be developing habits/tactics for PS2, while PS1 vets may need to first learn to break their old PS1 habits/tactics is all I'm saying. If you want a life example: reference how the French approached the onset of WWII thinking it'd be the same thing as WWI. That's just an example of how old strategies could go, however, not a guarantee.

To all my fellow veterans, all I ask is that you try and approach Planetside 2 with the intent to learn and accept new strategies and tactics, instead of clinging desperately to what worked in Planetside LIVE and getting angry should they fail.

Improvise. Adapt. Overcome. For Land. For Power. Forever.
Old 2012-07-18, 05:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by ZaBa View Post

I won't mind that so much as what I'm expecting; vets getting mad that the game itself is wrong because X tactic doesn't work the way it used to, or is completely irrelevant due to fundamental gameplay differences.

I'm sure plenty of strategic skills will carry over, but it feels like a lot of people are [incorrectly] assuming they'll instantly know what's up with in-the-weeds tactics just because the names of a lot of things are the same, which will generate significant grief among those for whom this isn't the case.

Maybe I'm misreading it, but I honestly hope I'm wrong either way. Could do without a beta full of people demanding the game be made more like PS1.

To sum up what I just said:

I love old players! Just not ones who try to change a game into the image of a previous game they feel planetside 2 should be more like (i.e.: planetside 1)
Originally Posted by Littleman View Post

To all my fellow veterans, all I ask is that you try and approach Planetside 2 with the intent to learn and accept new strategies and tactics, instead of clinging desperately to what worked in Planetside LIVE and getting angry should they fail.

Improvise. Adapt. Overcome. For Land. For Power. Forever.
Very well said, both of you. There's definitely going to be people bummed out that all the knowledge and skill they've acquired from the first game isn't going make any difference in the new game (myself included). After playing a game for some many years and transferring over to an entirely different one, it's definitely going to take some getting used to. I just hope I'm not completely blind sided by all the new game mechanics that I am a thumbless nub all over again.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2012-07-18, 05:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

I count on 3 things to have things even up:
- player numbers (eventually you get shot however good you are)
- the grief system
- the mute system

Most people are decent and the few bad apples are easy to isolate. I never really had any issue over many years of PS and as D2A mentioned, PS players were not carols singers.

Last edited by sylphaen; 2012-07-18 at 05:48 PM.
Old 2012-07-18, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
diLLa
Staff Sergeant

Get to know some people so you dont have to play with randoms all the time. Should decrease the amount of harassment you get.
Old 2012-07-18, 05:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Sephirex
Major

Yes, a lot of these arena shooter players we're going to get aren't going to be used to a community. It will be interesting to see how that changes things.
Old 2012-07-18, 05:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
SleepyZombie
Corporal

Regardless of what is on the veterans shoulders to kinda create the community for this game trolling flaming and general douche baggery is going to be prevalent.

I am a ps1 vet and I plan on leading and commanding my group of misfits and trolls and keeping them from stressing newer players out with there very littler tolerance.

However it is going to take an even larger effort on the newer guys to come into this game and understand that there are tactics the vets use that take complete understanding and cooperation to work. I think this will be very frustrating for the newer guys that get left out of the loop because they don't understand.

I think it will take a larger effort on the new guys to have the tolerance to let a community grow and not turn it into a veterans are bitter stuck up elitist jerks war and vise versa.
Old 2012-07-18, 05:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

The correct response would have been "Fine. We'll pull another one" and then blow up the lib while the jackass was still in it.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion