PSA: Listen Up Guys.. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: This planetside isn't big enough for the both of us.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-30, 03:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Hamma
PSU Admin

Exclamation PSA: Listen Up Guys..

It's high time I make a thread about the recent developments. Yes beta was said to be Today or Tomorrow and it's now late this week. Yes this means that the information Smed tweeted was inaccurate.

Yes we know you aren't in beta and deserve to be.

Look guys - let's take a few steps back and look at this. You all are raging hard about beta of a game and how SOE and Smed are breaking promises. Posting dumbass images and attacking eachother over a game that every single one of us will end up playing eventually.

Step back and look at the big picture and start acting like the community I know and have had the pleasure of being a part of for the past 10 years. Quit raging in the forums and at the devs via Twitter and let them do their jobs.

Releasing an MMO is a massive undertaking, thousands of man hours, personnel from the devs all the way down to the systems and servers, networking, APIs and all sorts of fun stuff.

This shit is complicated give them a break and relax a bit.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-07-30, 03:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
lMABl
Master Sergeant

Re: PSA: Listen Up Guys..

Well said.
Old 2012-07-30, 03:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Raymac
Brigadier General

I think Basti is going to lock this thread.

Old 2012-07-30, 03:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Top Sgt
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
lol that was a witty reply

Unfortunately Hamma the PS community has been invaded by mainstream players.. hence the quick turn in community attitude. now it's a mix of disgruntels from others games etc.

But you have enough good guys here to overcome it's all good.
Old 2012-07-30, 04:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Fuel Truck
Private

Originally Posted by Top Sgt View Post
Unfortunately Hamma the PS community has been invaded by mainstream players.. hence the quick turn in community attitude.
I guarantee the majority of whiners aren't mainstream players, it's us vets who have been waiting for years...
Old 2012-07-30, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Fuel Truck View Post
I guarantee the majority of whiners aren't mainstream players, it's us vets who have been waiting for years...
Actually, I think most of the people that have been following the development of PS2 over the last year and a half have a pretty good idea of the timescale we are dealing with here. I remember when we were pretty sure beta would be Q1/Q2 of 2012 at the lastest. Every time I hear a date I think, "Yeah, we'll see about that."

Old 2012-07-30, 06:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Bags
Lieutenant General

Actually, I think most of the people that have been following the development of PS2 over the last year and a half have a pretty good idea of the timescale we are dealing with here. I remember when we were pretty sure beta would be Q1/Q2 of 2012 at the lastest. Every time I hear a date I think, "Yeah, we'll see about that."
Yeah, that was my guess, hahah.
Old 2012-07-30, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
julfo
Sergeant

Brilliant
Old 2012-07-30, 04:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Masterr
Staff Sergeant

Yeah I LOL'ed when I found my thread locked and Hamma made one afterwards with the same thing in mind. Apparently me and Hamma have been reading the same posts, idk what Basti is reading. Great work

Last edited by Masterr; 2012-07-30 at 04:02 PM.
Old 2012-07-30, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

To be clear, i saw this coming. Forgelight is a new engine, its bound to have bugs that screw plans. And theres no point to let a crapload of people in if all of them will tell you exactly what you already know: The game crashes / has terrible performance / has annoying Bugs that make it impossible to actually play / has no kittens / whatever. Should smed have said nothing about a date? Maybe, but we would have kept asking regardless, and would have raged about no reply. It propably looked good for today or tommorow at some point, but it seems something popped up that screwed the plan. Happens. Been there, done that, plenty of times. Chill, relax, enjoy the fact that you have at least one more week of your life.

Just trying to get people to use the thread thats ment to be used, rather than having a whole page full of threads about the exact same topic.

Anyway, Ray, enjoy your Ban.
Old 2012-07-30, 05:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

BAHAHAHAHA!!!

Oh man, all the guys at work just looked at me funny for lolling so hard.

But yes, Hamma said it perfectly. We've waited 10 years, what's another 2 weeks?
Old 2012-07-30, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I know my time will come but I think because I had issues getting the free 30days my account will suffer the same fate for beta.
I had to contact support to have the free time applied, as did a number of others that posted here.

My observation from here, it seems the more you post or pimp the game the less chance you are getting in soon.
Your hype and passion is needed outside of the game.
Any publicity is good publicity.

I cannot believe the amount of people I work with that are currently playing (allegedly).
None of them have never posted here or any other public forum, never tweeted or facebook spammed friends.
None of them even read forums like this, most dont even know about this site.
They have expressed none of the excitement that we see here.
Yet, they are in the "tech test" and I am not even sure some filled out the survey judging by the surprised look on their faces when getting the invite and thinking beta had begun.
This includes vets(all non subscribers for at least 8years) and those who acquired beta keys, some of which I gave away to BF3 fanboi's. (should have used them myself!)
Old 2012-07-30, 03:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Imij
Private

YES! Thank you Hamma.
Old 2012-07-30, 03:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Yeah, all the infuriation can break even a man with heart of iron.

Nice post Hamma, though in my opinion it's a good time to "tighten the curfews" until the start of the beta. Though I'm a VS, I never badmouthed the TR censorship policy much...

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-07-30, 04:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
rhombus
Private

I'd like to add a few thoughts from the perspective of a software developer. No I don't work in games but I've contributed to projects as small as internal tools and as big as operating systems.

For the short explanation, here's how it'll all work in emoticons:

-- Today you're not in the beta and you're all
-- When you get your beta invite email you'll be
-- When the game crashes on your first day:
-- When you have that first moment of a really great time:
-- When something effs up because a game mechanic is broken:
-- When you've had a really bad day of bugs during the beta you'll be doing this again on the forums:
-- And we'll all be like "cry me a river":
-- When stuff gets fixed and you're finally having a good time you'll be:
-- But like seriously, the devs don't need your hyperactive shit so SERIOUSLY:

Longer explanation:

As of E3, Planetside 2 wasn't ready for beta. It was pretty much a case of being way too successful for its current state. I don't know that as fact but I've sensed the nervousness and uncertainty whenever anyone at SOE talks about Beta. So where are those developers now?

Release mode. It won't be a 1.0 release, it'll be a beta release, but we live in a time when software is released early and improved upon as time goes on. What do software developers do in this "release mode"? Every day there are "bug triage" in which all the currently open bugs are discussed and prioritized. The bugs with the highest priority are called "showstoppers", which include things like the game crashing or disconnecting, or the server software crashing or erroring. That's the only class of bug that they're fixing right now.

Things like "weapon X is way too powerful" is not a "showstopper" and won't be fixed during release mode. What they have to fix is two things: 1) that you can get into the game and 2) that it doesn't crash on you. Most of everything else besides can be weird, broken, or even downright missing.

I have no inside information but knowing what I do about software development in general, this ongoing Tech Test can't be that fun. That the Beta is being pushed back by a week only means one thing to me: the game is still crashing or disconnecting.

So try looking at the situation this way: some select few masochists are putting up with a whole bunch of deal breaking bugs so that when YOU finally get into the game you won't have to suffer them.

However, the troubles don't end there. Chances are when we finally get to play the game there's going to be all those bugs that weren't showstoppers before. Gameplay mechanics being broken, visual glitches, unbalanced play, whole features being hidden away while more work is being done. Heck, we may see crashes and disconnects because the more people that use the software, the better the odds that a bad bug will crop up.

SOE is giving us a huge break by pushing beta out so early. That means two things: 1) you get a gift six months before Christmas and 2) you now have the responsibility of not crapping all over the gift you got early.

Beta isn't some weird term for "early access." It's incomplete software. I know we'll have fun, but we'll all experience moments of frustration every day. Every week it'll get better, that much we can be guaranteed.

Finally:
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion