What are your thoughts on PlanetSide 2 now that you have played? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Wait, so which Empire has Elves in it..?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-08-31, 10:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Hamma
PSU Admin

What are your thoughts on PlanetSide 2 now that you have played?

So here it is, the thread we have all been waiting for..

You got into beta and have had some hands on time with PlanetSide 2. What are your thoughts? Have all your hopes and dreams been met or would you like to see much more?

Not in beta? Well I have this..

KRJJ-TZRJ-N6GE-CZR3-MG76

Be sure to come back and let us know what you think

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-08-31, 10:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Re: What are your thoughts on PlanetSide 2 now that you have played?

Planetside 2 is probably 10% done content wise. Even in it's Beta state, the game ROCKS. Once you get organized the real fun begins. I see lone wolfs complaining. We run our Air Wing, Armor Team, Rapid Response Team and our Infantry squads all in concert communicating on our Teamspeak server. We coordinate and support each other and we get the job done.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-08-31, 10:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Janzani

Hehee I got the beta key.. Where in the **** is the download link? *goes crazy with excitement and faints*
Old 2012-08-31, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by Janzani View Post
Hehee I got the beta key.. Where in the **** is the download link? *goes crazy with excitement and faints*
www.planetside2.com/download

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-08-31, 10:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Janzani

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
Thank you kind sir! The download button doesn't work though. Now begins another kind of waiting.. Refreshing the page and clicking the button. I'll go and make some coffee.

EDIT: Nevermind... Of course the download link is in the email they sent you and this one works just fine.. I'm such a fool.. I'll go play for a few days and come back to this topic with something constructive to share with all of you and not just off topic beta key excitement..

Last edited by Janzani; 2012-08-31 at 10:49 AM.
Old 2012-08-31, 10:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Haro
Master Sergeant

I think the phrase "it's beta" sums it up for me. The game is obviously not complete, and my experiences with it have varied to a huge degree: at some times, it can be very frustrating (like the original was, at times) but there are other times where it is simply brilliant. It's very promising given how little of the game is properly implemented and balanced.

I look forward to continuing beta and seeing how much the game will grow, because I trust the devs based on what I've seen them do so far, and they've been very responsive for the most part. I also look forward to discussing the game on PSU, because the beta forums were giving me a bit of a headache.
Old 2012-08-31, 10:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Aaron
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Well, since Tech Test, the game has already gotten so much better. The devs are always listening to the community and changes are always being implemented based on the feedback they get. It's a true beta and it's being developed upon what we want. A game can only flourish with the type of interaction they have with us.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-08-31, 10:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
The devs are always listening to the community and changes are always being implemented based on the feedback they get. It's a true beta and it's being developed upon what we want. A game can only flourish with the type of interaction they have with us.

Tell the world this. I think were doing something pretty unprescedented (and frankly a little of scary to a lot of people) with how open we've been and how closely we've worked with and integrated our community into this games development. Tell everyone it's what you want out of developers in the future and we (all of us gamers) may get it.
Old 2012-08-31, 10:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Valcron
Master Sergeant

Higby, I appreciate the openness and your guys willing to listen. But the fact that you guys still use a class base system instead of an open system kills me.

- There's no inventory system at all
- AMS is gone, and you guys stated you won't be bringing it back in the design meeting.
- Hacking is missing but I'm sure it will be added
- Infiltrators are just terrible in their current state
- The feel of Planetside is pretty much missing, I feel it's just COD redone.
- The lack of vehicles is disconcerting, and the fact that I fun my own tank is just terrible
- The bases are shallow and the capture system isn't compelling. What happened to base walls?
- Base benefits? What is the point in owning any of these bases, they're not giving any benefits at all. Tech plants, amp stations, etc should give good benefits.

There are the big things for me.
Old 2012-08-31, 10:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
SeanNewBoy
Corporal

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Tell the world this. I think were doing something pretty unprescedented (and frankly a little of scary to a lot of people) with how open we've been and how closely we've worked with and integrated our community into this games development. Tell everyone it's what you want out of developers in the future and we (all of us gamers) may get it.
One of the things i really appreciate about PS2 is the dev community involvment, but then i'm a bit spoiled after having played Star Trek Online. The devs there may not be able to help being controlled by companies that have not faith in them but they try and keep open lines of communication.

As for the game it gets better everytime i log on, you guys are doing a great job.
Old 2012-08-31, 11:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Shogun
Contributor
General

oh yes! it IS what we want! and thanks again for this great and new approach!
if planetside is as successful as it deserves, i am sure we will see this open and community-involving developement again. but higby and his team will stay the first who have dared to try this!

on topic:

the game feels great so far! there is a lot missing, but i am aware that this is early beta and things are in the pipeline.
the good old planetside feeling is somewhere in this game! found it some days ago, in a big battle where i was cleaning the sky with my max while a big tank column took the enemy base under fire and some engineers kept my my ammoreserve and armor high.

my main concern right now is the target recognition and the overall awareness. i never know where i am, i don´t even notice most enemys (and camo is not even in the game yet!!!) and due to the friendly-markers being so unreliable i never know if to shoot somebody or not.
and don´t ask me, where our squad is.

the visibility of most important things has to be revisited. squadmates onscreen, squadmates on map and targets/friendlies.

may sound negative, but since this is the only thing i don´t like in the game so far, it´s more of an award

i assume engineers will get more toys, otherwise add this to the requests
also, old requests stay alive... i will not drive a vanguard until i get the chance to have a dedicated gunner/driver setup! and it needs to be the standard setup. the standard as it is now may be a cert to please the lonewulfer kids who think they have to gun everything they bought.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!

Last edited by Shogun; 2012-08-31 at 11:28 AM.
Old 2012-08-31, 01:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

LOVED listening to your guys Dev Meeting Stream.... Do more of those!

As gamers, our best way to tell the suits what we want is with our wallets. For this reason I've begun a new policy of restricting my support to the developers that deserve it.

I've been telling everyone I know that Planetside will redefine the FPS genre

Also... it's prolly a good thing you shut off the servers at 10 or I'd be late to work every single day from passing out around 3-4 every... morning... lmao!

Game is amazing... can barely play much else (and none of them shooters)

EDIT: @Tatwi... uhm, I'm running on an i3 and pull 35-40 in combat on mostly medium settings (dropped shadows, effects and lighting to low. Textures, models & Characters to high) I do have a Radeon 6850 & 8GB ram though (of course, running Radeon means my CPU has to do all the PhysX too....)

Last edited by RoninOni; 2012-08-31 at 01:58 PM.
Old 2012-08-31, 04:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
thegreekboy
Master Sergeant

So much this
Old 2012-08-31, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

I wish the people in the Beta Forums understood this.

So many long winded arguments about what is/isn't broken balance wise. Gonna vomit.

Glad NDA is lifted, means I can escape back to the world of the relatively sane!

Evilpig is right though. From the view point of the lone wolf, game is terrible. Getting into an organized squad does wonders for your general enjoyment of the game though.

Biggest problem at the moment is air superiority. GTA is broken and does little damage but the DEVs are taking small strides towards correcting it slowly and I agree with that approach. Most people who played PS1 can agree that the air vs ground was one of those major buttons that incited riots and no one ever agreed with anyone else over them. I hope it's possible to balance that aspect out as thoroughly as Snipers vs infantry were in PS1.

Other then that, VS weapons reportedly have place holder stats but work just fine as far as I'm concerned. The fears about MAX suits being ultimate death machines are totally unfounded, anyone can easily kill a MAX suit with LA with a well placed C4 charge. MAX suits are very vulnerable to HA LMGs and particularly their AV weapons. I suspect the most effective anti-MAX tactic would be firing a single rocket into their face, then switching to the LMG and unloading into them. That tactic provides the best chances of success 1 on 1 in a toe to toe confrontation. Otherwise hit the MAX from flanks whenever possible, and sprint away, force it to sprint to keep up.

Tanks are also fairly weak but certs have been unlocked to beef up their armor values. Haven't seen how these certs affect their survivability yet but I hope to soonish. Dedicated vehicle drivers and pilots will have plenty of certs to improve survivability and decrease the cost of repeatedly pulling their chosen equipment. Also don't get me wrong, as they are now tanks are pretty well balanced against infantry and are the supreme ground warfare vehicles. It takes a lot of effort to take one out single handedly, but multiple infantry engaging the same tank will probably win in the end which works out perfectly. Still superior numbers is not a liscense to do stupid stuff like stand out in the open, it still requires effort.

A recent patch has introduced the adjacency requirement for hacking hexes. Most bases/outposts will require adjacent friendly hexes before you can hack them, with a few facilities behind enemy lines being hackable with or without connection to friendly hexes. This has drastically improved the ground war from chaos to orderly expansion efforts similar to PS1, without the potential repetition.

LA is also incredibly fun. You'll die a lot given the weaker defense but when you get into your grove you feel awesome. You can scale mountains, vault yourself over walls and up to second story windows. Combining your maneuverability with the use of grenades and C4 allows for engagements against MAX suits, vehicles, and base turrets. Scaling cliffs and hitting the enemy from un defended directions gives the LA great ambush capability and skilled players will do far more damage using LA then they would using HA.

Which is not to say that HA will be crap. Heavy hitters will love the class for it's long range AV weaponry, and ability to clear rooms effectively. A 100 round clip ensures you have enough bullets to do your job. You have access to C4 but it's not needed since your RL does the same damage at range and you have 4 shots as opposed to 1 C4 charge.

Last edited by Blackwolf; 2012-08-31 at 05:31 PM.
Old 2012-08-31, 05:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Stardouser
Colonel

Your openness is indeed unprecedented. It puts DICE to a low down dirty crying shame with their top secrecy.

Though I have to ask, a lot of people would like to see two way dialogs before you implement changes. That is, instead of you passively reading feedback and then internally only deciding on a change, that you actually propose changes and receive reaction before you implement them.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-08-31 at 05:22 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion