Improvement: Orbiting Sanctuary's (Replacing Footholds) - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I bet you're looking at this right now!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2012-06-08, 03:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
JimmyOmaha
Sergeant

Orbiting Sanctuary's (Replacing Footholds)

Firstly, I'm a big fan of the sanctuary's from the original PlanetSide; giving a sense of a Home-base for the empire and not interfering with the battlefields directly. Footholds I feel don't cover that aspect very well; In fact are opposed to letting the war work itself out. Its too easy for an empire to hold ground and really not feel like they are at risk of loosing influence over a continent. I've been kicking around an idea in my head, thought I'd bring it here and find out what the community thinks.

Also I understand this would be a long ways down the road. After more continents are added in of course.

Orbiting Sanctuaries!

The Goal

The idea is to remove the footholds form continents, or alter them, to allow for a more robust region control meta-game; while still allowing an empire to regroup and stage invasions into continents they have no influence over. The footholds are a great fix for now, but it just doesn't mesh well with the grander territory control game.

In action

Each empire would have its on unique orbit and station. The Sanctuaries would be made of a few main parts; Spawnrooms/Barracks, Commons area, VR Training rooms, and an Invasion Bay. The spawns and commons would most likely be on the same level and have some equipment terminals to look though/customize load-outs. Maybe a nice bay window with Auraxis slowly rotating showing what continent you're over. VR center is pretty self explanatory; VR rooms that would throw you into a practice world to test weapons and vehicles.

The invasion bay would be a huge "docking-bay" like room with all 3 terminals. Think of it kinda like a warp-gate, but your commander presses a "Launch" key instead of everyone charging though. This could drop you on any friendly hex or your foothold; even if an enemy empire holds it. Although It would be at a resource cost, including a small tax on infantry. Squad leaders would be able to drop with the whole team. And platoon commanders would have a similar ability for their whole team. People in the bay, but not in the squad/platoon will not be affected. Anyone participating in the drop would get a cooldown timer so the tactic, if failed, could not be repeated over and over.

Some issues I've been working out in my head;
Air terminals would have to spawn vehicles parked and in some kind of pattern. Also would need some kind of mid-air take off, I could see terrain not agreeing with aircraft for take off after the drop.
Who gets to use this, everyone or Outfits only? If outfits only, individuals would need single drop-pods added to the Stations.
Who presses the launch button. (me me me me!)
Should your empire only be able to do this a few times per-orbit, or on a set timer maybe?
How many players can you fit in here? If u get continent-locked that's almost 700 people!

I'm not a game designer, so I'm sure I've missed things or not thought of something. Would love to hear what everyone thinks!

Related Non-Gameplay Ideas

I can see them now... A large space-station very rounded and professional for the TR. A large purple hive mothership with teal lights for the VS. And the NC can take a re-purposed asteroid mining facility, that they haphazardly threw into orbit.

A separate floor for outfits where they could maybe use resources to buy offices and plan invasions/missions. Have some cool 3d maps and tools for tacticians.

Also Thanks to Zekeen for contributing to my madness. :]

Last edited by JimmyOmaha; 2012-06-14 at 06:20 PM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault