new lattice tweet from higby - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Limited Lifetime Warranty.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2013-03-03, 07:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
TheDrone
Sergeant

Re: new lattice tweet from higby

Originally Posted by Assist View Post
That's your opinion on it, none of those are facts. It's not an upcoming playlist at all, there's still plenty of options on which base you want to go to. There's also plenty of routes to get there, you don't have to follow the yellow brick road to get to point A. Sure you need to take base A to get to base B, but it's not a whole lot different than it is now for the big bases. Just at a quick glance you see there's AT LEAST 5 ways into Tawrich, this is not a defined Point A to Point B lattice system and there's no reason to make it out to be. If your concern about the system is smaller squads, then tell me what exactly is the point of smaller squads now? To take empty territory until someone realizes they're there? Smaller squads are squashed under massive numbers because there are no choke points for them to work from.
There's a difference between what can happen and what will happen. All the current misgivings with the hex system don't HAVE to happen. There are plenty of other options. Yet those other options don't happen. There are reasons for this.

And there are reasons for the lattice having serious issues in PS1. There are reasons why your interpretation of the lattice won't happen in PS2. Ironically the same reasons why the hex isn't working.

I agree it's maybe not one playlists. Every few fights you get to choose the next playlist. That's not strategy. That's pandering to the COD crowd and the PS1-romanticizing-crowd.

Stop presenting a false dichotomy. I'm the first to say the hex isn't perfect. That link you conveniently ignored as it's a long text and you don't care about to read it and/or lack the attention span to read it? That was my attempt at fixing the hex, thus acknowledging it's flawed.
It's not either the lattice or the hex. There are plenty of options. And some of those actually fix the core issues, something neither the hex or the lattice does.
So there are options to allow smaller squads to have their role and allow for their play-style. These options are destroyed the second you implement a lattice. Simple as that.

I disagree again. The problem is incentive and they are fixing that by removing the need for incentive(which they've already said will be added LATER, not never). This fixes the immediate problem, just not the way you would like. It's also not an issue of communicating the zerg, that exists even in the lattice system, it's an issue of the zerg being able to flat out overrun every battle because they don't have to think strategically when assaulting any base. Once again you see lattice and you're assuming "Point A to Point B", but if you look at the map it doesn't at all play that way.
What does this system have to do with the FPS genre? Pure FPS players don't care one way or another about the system if you're going to assume they're that way. But FPS players who are playing PS2 are here for more than just the regular FPS. Don't brand a group of people because you think all they care about is shooting some guy who is going to respawn. Both systems the MMO and FPS community feel the same about, where a player came from has nothing to do with what they want this game to be. I personally have played MMO's and tournament-level FPS, I prefer the lattice system presented.
You don't fix incentive by removing it. PlanetSide 2 shoulod have a metagame. Destroying player-options and destroying all options for incentive is in effect destroying all hopes for a metagame. Period. There can't be a metagame with a lattice. Period.
A metagame needs variety and changing conditions. A metagame needs the option of investment and the occasional sense of urgency.
All these potentials are gone when the lattice is introduced. There is simply no way to introduce these variables in a lattice. Can you present a way to introduce these? Honest question.

This is not a PS1 vs PS2 addition to the game. Plenty of non-PS1 players want a lattice system.
Which proves my point. PlanetSide 2 isn't run by experienced and motivated developers. PlanetSide 2 is the hostage of an insane and schizophrenic bandwagon, its community.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion