So I was thinking... - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Death is not only the beginning, A repawn is.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2006-06-06, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

I think firefly needs to lay off the coffee and maybe take a couple a pills of some sort.... he forgot his medication.
Old 2006-06-06, 02:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
xmodum
Colonel

Indeed.
Old 2006-06-06, 03:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Coffee is what relaxes me. It keeps me from dirt-drilling little a-hole punk kids in the neighborhood that scratch my truck when they're riding their skateboards in between parked cars. And I take my herbs every morning - what's the matter, can't keep up?
Old 2006-06-06, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Setari
General

So back to the original post, I think the basic thing is that when the idea of a WWI game comes up, everyone assumes ultra-realism. When you play Call of Duty, you don't get any mechanical problems or sicknesses. The gist of a WWI game would basically be what The Trenches is, except perhaps on a larger scale. Trench warfare, armed with bolt rifles, would not degrade into the attrition that happened in reality, because most people don't act like that when playing games. I think that if a WWI game were made, the pace would be slower than most games, but I think the fact that it is still a game would keep it from turning into a sit-fest.

EDIT: I'm thinking it might have to be a pretty large-scale game, maybe with a little bit faster pace than Planetside.

Last edited by Setari; 2006-06-06 at 03:19 PM.
Old 2006-06-06, 04:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I agree.

The Balkans or Bosnia would make for both compelling storys and good settings in FPS terms.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2006-06-06, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Setari
So back to the original post, I think the basic thing is that when the idea of a WWI game comes up, everyone assumes ultra-realism. When you play Call of Duty, you don't get any mechanical problems or sicknesses. The gist of a WWI game would basically be what The Trenches is, except perhaps on a larger scale. Trench warfare, armed with bolt rifles, would not degrade into the attrition that happened in reality, because most people don't act like that when playing games. I think that if a WWI game were made, the pace would be slower than most games, but I think the fact that it is still a game would keep it from turning into a sit-fest.

EDIT: I'm thinking it might have to be a pretty large-scale game, maybe with a little bit faster pace than Planetside.
The Germans used chemical warfare in WW1. You could incorporate that into the game. There's actually a movie about WW1 combat, I think it was a made-for-TV movie. I believe it was called "The Lost Battalion" or something similar. I caught the last battle they fought - didn't last long (TV-wise) so I can't estimate the time I got to watch it. Those dudes took some serious beatings. And the artillery duels... just DAMN!
Old 2006-06-06, 05:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Setari
General

I've seen that movie, the blood is orange. :P That movie was really intense. Obviously, if it were a large-scale game, the chemical attacks could be incorporated, as well as large-scale artillery barrages. Come to think, WWI might make a good MMOFPS, the battles would certainly be interesting.
Old 2006-06-06, 06:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

You would have to make it MMO - you just can't half-ass a war like WW1 with a 32-person server and ten-minute points battles. Especially with the slow rate of fire for infantry weapons. Machine-guns were not put into widespread use as portable offensive combat units yet - almost all of them required a 4- to 6-person team, and the concept of single-person units didn't make it into battle until the latter half of 1918 (hence the designation MP18).
Old 2006-06-06, 06:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Yeah you had to keep changing the barrels and keep filling them up with water.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2006-06-06, 06:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
OneManArmy
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I was thinking you're all *******.

but then I remembered Infernus would hate me for putting him down like that.

so then I was thinking you're all wankers. and since I'm not british, it makes no sense but I like it anyways.

Wankers.
Old 2006-06-06, 07:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Fuck you, Pikey.

Old 2006-06-06, 08:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Giovanni
Colonel

Sadly a game revolving around the events of Bosnia would never hit the shelves. People have a thing about shooting an armed kid...

Pussies.
Old 2006-06-07, 12:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Squeeky
Contributor
Teh Masturbator

Originally Posted by Hamma
We need more wars so we have more game options.
Why do you think we went to Iraq?

OIF and Desert Storm gave us great games/mods.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge