Uncappable Bases - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: B00M3R was here '06!!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-10, 10:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Coyote
Private

Re: Uncappable Bases

I'm not quite sold on the lack of a 'staging area'. You gotta meet up with people somewhere, right? Dropping into hell is cool the first 20 times but on that 21st time you're going to want to get back, reset, and walk into hell in a coordinated combined arms attack.

These footholds. I don't like the taste of it in my mouth. I actually think Uncappable conts would be BAD for making a solid frontline. It would now just be "Well I died x amount of times here, insta-go to the next place where there is nobody there", it will thin out the lines too much imo. (maybe there will only be 3 continents in release. Maybe there will be 13.)

Still too little info. I wish they elaborated on this more. HART removal I don't mind at all. Sanc removal you got me staring at you funny. Inventory removal my eyebrow quirks, and lastly, not picking up weapons off of the floor has me locked in a Fry voice saying 'Not sure if Trolling...."
Old 2011-07-10, 10:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Evilmp
Master Sergeant

I think a sanctuary similar to Atlantis from Stargate would be pretty cool given some room for vehicles and aircraft.

Obviously without the cheesy teal themed set props and massive amounts of hair gel that are mandatory in Atlantis.
Old 2011-07-10, 10:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Hamma
PSU Admin

The thought is these bases will be some sort of staging area.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-07-10, 11:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
krnasaur
First Lieutenant

I never understood the sanc hate, i always loved it. It was another factor that set planetside on another level. In most games you sat in a lobby/chatroom waiting to start your instance/match whatever, in this one you get your own area to form up and get organized to launch the assult. True, hart timers didnt need to be there, it could have been hart in whenever you want. but that is maybe the only -.
Old 2011-07-11, 12:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
MgFalcon
Captain

I'm gonna miss the Sanc, in large outfits it was so useful to tell everyone to head back to the sanctuary to regroup and go off on another attack somewhere
Old 2011-07-11, 03:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Redshift
Major

I too am not sure about the lack of sanc, it's where you go to organise a few hundred people, i doubt you could do that in a base and keep the secret secret.

I also assume if they're uncappable they'll be some kind of shield to stop people just camping the tubes all day, shielded things sucked in PS1, idiots banging their heads into capitol shields, camping warpgates etc, could spend hours doing nothing is my concern
Old 2011-07-11, 03:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
NCLynx
Major

I thought it would be one uncappable base on ONE continent, not one on every continent.

Why would there be a need to have our own personal sanc on every single continent? One on one continent (or maybe 2 if you wanted to stress what was an empires "home conts") doesn't sound as bad to me.
Old 2011-07-11, 05:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Volw
First Sergeant

It should still be possible to stage an attack at one continent and then hop over to the designated one ...
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org

Last edited by Volw; 2011-07-11 at 05:52 AM.
Old 2011-07-11, 06:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Azren
Sergeant Major

There could really only be two ways to these bases:
1: They are safe zones with weapons locked, where enemies can not enter (force wall or some other silly thing)
2: There is a way to capture them afterall. Since if not, your whole empire could be spawn camped - now what would that do to the playerbase?
Old 2011-07-11, 06:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Volw
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Azren View Post
There could really only be two ways to these bases:
1: They are safe zones with weapons locked, where enemies can not enter (force wall or some other silly thing)
2: There is a way to capture them afterall. Since if not, your whole empire could be spawn camped - now what would that do to the playerbase?
1 - that's how PS1 did it.

Also as a reminder - after Lodestar was released it was quite usual to set up shop inside of the force field, until it was nerfed/removed. So it's probably going to be the same old dome, but with spawn tubes and vehicle terminals instead.
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
Old 2011-07-11, 06:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
WellWisherELF
Corporal

I don't think each empire will have a traditional 'base' per-say, but rather a foothold that becomes inaccessible once they lose all control of that continent.

If a certain empire ends up losing all of their footholds on every cont, a second chance system similar to PS will most likely occur, allowing access to one of their footholds on a random cont.
Old 2011-07-11, 07:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Manitou
Contributor
Old War Horse

Not enough intel to make a call either way, honestly. This announcement could be a fishing expedition to see the reaction and/or get feedback on details.

It boils down to trust in the development team. I am hoping we can trust them to bring us a quality game. If so, then they will solve this challenge and we will reap the benefits with a new way to enter battle.

Manitou
"
On the plains of hesitation lie the bones of countless millions who, upon the dawn of victory, sat down to rest and resting, died."
<))><
Old 2011-07-11, 10:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Kouza
Sergeant

I figured it would be each empire would, have One base PERIOD that is unconquerable, not one per continent. I may be wrong.
Old 2011-07-11, 11:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
NCLynx
Major

Originally Posted by Kouza View Post
I figured it would be each empire would, have One base PERIOD that is unconquerable, not one per continent. I may be wrong.
My first thoughts as well, one perma base per cont seems to much
Old 2011-07-11, 11:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Kouza
Sergeant

Also, this beckons the question.... One base as the starting point for every one in planetside.... THAT'S GOING TO BE ONE CROWDED BITCH.... or, are the Bases going to be giant? We saw how much bigger the tower got, how much bigger are the bases going to get?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion