High Altitude Stalling - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: took my lunch money
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-20, 03:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Bing
Private

Re: High Altitude Stalling

Why isn't this in the Planetside 2 Idea Vault?
Old 2011-07-20, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
knaggsy
Private

I personally believe the best option for flight controls for the mozzy/reever are the Battlefield 2142 gunship controls. Fairly easy to fly but difficult to master.

Can roll and loop and all is fun.

Galaxies and larger ships should be like battlefield 1942 aircraft... i.e. most of your team will crash them into trees because they have no clue how to fly them but when you master them they are much fun to fly.
Old 2011-07-20, 11:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
kaffis
Contributor
Major

On the topic of verbal "Stall Imminent!" warnings, your crew/passengers should definitely hear them, too. Let the bastards know they hopped into the crazy pilot's Galaxy...
Old 2011-07-21, 04:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Ninebreaker
Private

How about just implementing what real aircraft do, an aircraft usually only stalls when the pilot wants it to. It happens when there is not enough air flowing over the wing.

So if the pilot does nothing the performance degrades, stall warning starts getting louder until the aircraft just cant maintain its current attitude, then it will just drop its nose towards the ground.

What would be interesting is spinning, when the aircraft stalls and the pilot just kicks in the rudder it will start spinning towards the ground. Would be awesome to see a spinning galaxy.
Old 2011-07-21, 06:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
wildcat140679
Sergeant

I've stopped counting how often I've seen this idea pop up in the PS forums along with different ceiling levels for different air crafts to stimulate aerial combat. I truly hope the dev's take this path and add this concept in to PS2.
Old 2011-07-21, 11:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by kaffis View Post
On the topic of verbal "Stall Imminent!" warnings, your crew/passengers should definitely hear them, too. Let the bastards know they hopped into the crazy pilot's Galaxy...
Definitely, especially if it sounds like it's coming from the cockpit.
Old 2011-07-21, 12:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

And to complete the effect, make the passengers sit inside the windowless hold, like a C-130.

Old 2011-07-21, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
BUGGER
Major General

Misc Info

On topic of Stall warnings. Yes have it flash Stall once you hit that wall for you and passengers, but there shouldn't be a "btw500footztillstalz" warning. If your certed, you should already know what your vehicle can handle.

Which brings me to my next point I noticed a long time ago that the Galaxy actually has wheels instead of skids, hopefully that is an indication of something rather than cosmetic. It would be cool to have straight fliers and some ups and downsies fliers like we currently have. Hard to freefall when every vehicle can hover....

Different ceilings for different vehicles would be cool.

Cockpit view.

Interchangable weapon loadouts (Reaver surface to ground, AA missles, etc).

I always wanted to see a balanced Empire specific flier too, curious what those would look like for each faction.

http://mrchevys3.blogspot.com/

Living is easy with eyes closed.
Old 2011-07-21, 02:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Not to be a party pooper, but I don't think that an aircraft that flies on vectored thrusters can "stall" since they don't require any forward speed to fly

Helicopters for example can't stall, their individual blades can but that's a different problem related to high velocity, not low

Though we alredy have the perfect handwave - the power links!
The further you go, the less power your engines have, making you more and more sluggish as you keep ascending, and at one point you will simply not have enough power to climb anymore (though that won't cause any spectacular dives, unfortunately)

A fix to that could be that your engines will lose power entirely when you are playing around the edge for too long, playing out the falling-out-of-the-sky-scenario that people have envisioned above
Old 2011-07-21, 02:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by BUGGER View Post
Which brings me to my next point I noticed a long time ago that the Galaxy actually has wheels instead of skids, hopefully that is an indication of something rather than cosmetic. It would be cool to have straight fliers and some ups and downsies fliers like we currently have. Hard to freefall when every vehicle can hover....
Actually, I'm crossing my fingers that advanced flight mechanics means we have NO hovering vehicles, or, if we do, it's more helicopter-like in its performance. (Slower, lower operating ceiling)

Make those reavers that want to play tank-buster do it on the fly, instead of playing hover-unload-run away. Strafing runs!
Old 2011-07-21, 02:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by RavenLord View Post
Not to be a party pooper, but I don't think that an aircraft that flies on vectored thrusters can "stall" since they don't require any forward speed to fly

Helicopters for example can't stall, their individual blades can but that's a different problem related to high velocity, not low
However the higher you go, the less dense the air gets. That means less airflow over rotors and/or reduced engine intake. Physics is still with us!
Old 2011-07-21, 10:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Yeah but I presume they just sorta slowly lose lifting power, kinda like what I suggested with the power link, not dramatically tip over and start falling
Old 2011-07-22, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by kaffis View Post
Actually, I'm crossing my fingers that advanced flight mechanics means we have NO hovering vehicles, or, if we do, it's more helicopter-like in its performance. (Slower, lower operating ceiling)

Make those reavers that want to play tank-buster do it on the fly, instead of playing hover-unload-run away. Strafing runs!
Get rid of the afterburners and the problem would solve itself.

Old 2011-07-22, 05:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Frostiken
Private

Originally Posted by Desoxy View Post
I agree, they could do some real nifty things with the new PhysX system, as long as we do NOT end up with this:
[DCS: Black Shark]
God forbid it takes some skill to fly around in circles in a Reaver killing everything you come across.
Old 2011-07-22, 05:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
wildcat140679
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
Get rid of the afterburners and the problem would solve itself.
After burners where good in PlanetSide. But the netcode didn't handle high velocity or the sudden increase of speed very well. Air to air combat wasn't that much effected by it when chasing down an enemy, but those on the ground not moving or moving much slower, trying to shoot at a air craft that kicks in his after burners was a real pain to hit.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion