New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What's a Hammaboo? Is it poisionous?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you like a single person mech in the game? (Please read the thread before posti
I don't like single person bipedal mechs and don't want them in the game 153 75.37%
I want single person mechs, but don't like this implementation. (Explain below) 11 5.42%
I support this implementation 28 13.79%
Other Reason (Explain below) 11 5.42%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-23, 01:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
PsychoXR-20
Staff Sergeant

Re: New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2

Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
if it's realism you want we'd all be in bunkers with UAV's shooting eachother :P
Maybe we already are . Maybe the soldiers we are controlling are just highly advanced robots, and we are all living underground controlling them remotley! WHAT A TWIST!

On a more serious note Sirisian. One of your primary arguments is that mechs could go places normal vehicles can't. Matt has said that they have handcrafted every inch of every continent. If there is an area that vehicles can't get to, wouldn't you figure they intended that area to be inaccessible to vehicles. Having a mech that could traverse that terrain would invalidate all that work.
Old 2011-07-23, 05:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
opticalshadow
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by PsychoXR-20 View Post
Maybe we already are . Maybe the soldiers we are controlling are just highly advanced robots, and we are all living underground controlling them remotley! WHAT A TWIST!

On a more serious note Sirisian. One of your primary arguments is that mechs could go places normal vehicles can't. Matt has said that they have handcrafted every inch of every continent. If there is an area that vehicles can't get to, wouldn't you figure they intended that area to be inaccessible to vehicles. Having a mech that could traverse that terrain would invalidate all that work.
well as far as already doign that, theres no need in planetside. as the story goes, all three empires are trapped in a war where no one can die. the reason UAV's and other unmanned vehicles were made was to prevent loss of life. in a situation where life cannot be lost, creating a machine to prevent that loss is pointless, and the research is better spent somewhere else.

as for the real life implement of a mech with the thorey it can go places a tank couldnt. the mech is limited even more then the tank. going up or downhill would greatly disable the machines capacity to stay upright, many surfaces (sand, mud, even roads) would buckle/gie way under the very specific area use of a mech "foot" which only one would support the whole thing as it walked. it could if as heavy as a tank, never cross most bridged, most non highway roads, many non solid surfaces (not concreate) it would be slow and a missle or rpg could knock it over mid stride. never mind the fact alls you have to do is hit the leg with an armor peircing bullet or anti armor round, and destroy any one of the many cables, pumps, tubes, jacks that make its movement possible.

as its been stated realisticaly a large mech is mechanicaly obsolete, dispite being more advanced, and a small mech is essetially what a max suite is.
Old 2011-07-24, 03:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by opticalshadow View Post
as its been stated realisticaly a large mech is mechanicaly obsolete, dispite being more advanced, and a small mech is essetially what a max suite is.
MAXs in PS are balanced for indoors use. Outdoors they are one of, if not the most pitiful creature, since they have zero self sufficiency and cannot shoot in run mode(and walk mode is terribly slow).

When I'm talking of a large mech, I think you think I'm speaking of a walking tank like mechwarrior. I'm talking something small. A couple tons at most, that stands like 10 feet tall. Hell, it can even be an exoskeleton, just one primed for outdoors use that can't fit inside buildings so you don't have to gimp it for indoor balance.
Old 2011-07-24, 04:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by opticalshadow View Post
well as far as already doign that, theres no need in planetside. as the story goes, all three empires are trapped in a war where no one can die. the reason UAV's and other unmanned vehicles were made was to prevent loss of life. in a situation where life cannot be lost, creating a machine to prevent that loss is pointless, and the research is better spent somewhere else.
Yea except the being unable to die thing is fairly new, if you remember the vague story of PS everyone came through a wormhole from a place they could die,
UAV's would seem like a godsend in this war anyway, imagine having 500 automated revers flying at you and still having all the soldiers free for doing other stuff :P