What will being "a good FPS player" mean in PlanetSide 2? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If we run you over, it wasn't our falt
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-07-31, 04:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
LostSoul

Re: What will being "a good FPS player" mean in PlanetSide 2?

ADS?
Old 2011-07-31, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Bags
Lieutenant General

Aim down sights.
Old 2011-07-31, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Flame thread by default...
Old 2011-07-31, 01:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Gwartham
Corporal

I really dunno how you could say accuracy and PS1 in the same sentence.

I personally found COF abhorrent in a FPS game, then again, I never looked at PS1 as a shooter game, it was a hybrid, and it worked well.

That being said, I really don't see the current PS player base enjoying the pure FPS shooter mechanics that are going to make it way into this game.

In my day I used to be real good at FPS games, OGL ladder ranking yadda yadda.

But apparently it is true, age does take things away from you, and while I can still hold my own in fps games, the new generation of 15 year old twitchmonkeys tend to have their way with me more often then not.

Imagine these guys set loose in PS2 with accurate hitboxes.

No real need FPS tricks when you the guy is a few MS faster then you and brains you with pinpoint accuracy....
Old 2011-07-31, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Gwartham View Post
I really dunno how you could say accuracy and PS1 in the same sentence.

I personally found COF abhorrent in a FPS game, then again,
COF is like how shooters work in modern games only you can actually control your bullet spray in PS1 by burst firing.

So more skillful.
Old 2011-07-31, 02:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Gwartham
Corporal

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
COF is like how shooters work in modern games only you can actually control your bullet spray in PS1 by burst firing.

So more skillful.
Hmmm...dont wanna get into a fight on whats more skillful with you but the way I see things is:

PS1 Random bullet track with no hitboxes against modern games where first bullet/burst is so accurate you can drive tacks with them+hitboxes.

So while it may of taken more "skill" to control your fire patterns in ps1, skills in modern FPS is more who can bean someone between the eyes the fastest, something ps1 purists arent really used to having to deal with.

Lets hope we get a good bastardization of the 2 in ps2.
Old 2011-07-31, 03:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Wow! And here I thought that the jumping around like morons in the original Counter-Strike looked stupid, but that dolphin diving takes the cake!

Rocket jumping in Quake was cool because it gave players tactical access to vertical game play. However, the rest of the nonsense like bunny hopping and dolphin diving is simply emergent behavior that occurred when players learned how to exploit issues with the game engines. And it's the kind of exploitation that is so hard to counter, it effectively forces all players do us it - regardless of how the exploit takes away from the over all appeal of the game. Exploits are exploitive!

The difference between a good player and great player in a game like Plantside should be knowing where to be, when to be there, and ensuring you've brought enough friends to make winning possible. The difference should not be, "he who knows how to exploit the game engine most efficiently wins".
Old 2011-07-31, 04:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
millo
Private

Originally Posted by Tatwi View Post
The difference between a good player and great player in a game like Plantside should be knowing where to be, when to be there, and ensuring you've brought enough friends to make winning possible. The difference should not be, "he who knows how to exploit the game engine most efficiently wins".
This.
I hope the devs are gearing the game toward rewarding tactics, situational awareness and positioning over twitch gameplay.
Old 2011-07-31, 06:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

Exploits are going to be apart of any game you play. Taking advantage of it isn't a bad thing. If you're truly playing to be good. Then take every advantage you get as long as you aren't doing something that gives you an advantage so large that you become unbeatable (Like a vanguard at the bottom of a techplant Vbay).

My Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/effectivex

Last edited by Effective; 2011-07-31 at 07:06 PM.
Old 2011-07-31, 07:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

So whats wrong with prone if its done right? The whole "dive" into prone is stupid but thats because it was implimented badly, it shouldnt work like that. If it had a decent entering animation that locked you into it, and a similar lock in animation for gettin up, then you would have to commit to it and could only do it from a sit still and with a decent time to get into the postion. So it could be used to work from cover or longer ranges, but could never be used as a quick tactic to cheat somethin like in certain other games. With super slow turn times and a limited cone in which to aim before ya have to turn your body, then you are very succeptable to being attacked from behind/side or whatever.

Or is there somethin im missing? Honestly flyin around in an aircraft i'd love to see people prone, they'd stand out like a sore thumb and be unable to get up and run without goin thru the animation and would just be a sitting duck. Cloakers would basically get a free kill. Maybe it also has other downsides, could be tweaked in a number of ways, it seems like it wouldnt be a prob. Again, if I'm missing somethin then let me know. I just think its like people sayin "tanks suck" because they played some game that had tanks that killed everythign on screen with one button, not because the tank idea was bad but the implimentation of them.
Old 2011-07-31, 08:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by LostSoul View Post
As in PS1 I hope PS2 will bring advantages to those who can aim, and not necessary to those who can spam a+d the fastest.
This statement makes no sense, you want to reward aim? but you don't want there to be moving targets?
Old 2011-07-31, 09:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
This statement makes no sense, you want to reward aim? but you don't want there to be moving targets?
I for one hope movement will be as realistic as can be. As for that, hitting a target that's moving from cover to cover would count as a moving target.

Even basic zig zaging. [[aka running from point A to point B without shooting or with gun to chest]]

but back and forth movement like a guy dancing in a cartoon do to the other guy shooting his feet shouldn't be in the game. let alone the dancing while he's able to shoot back.

A easy way to stop this could be you gain more CoF when you press A or D not as much as jumping but still enough to make you not dance if you wish to shoot back. Also a longer reload while strafing/jumping would be nice as well.
Old 2011-08-01, 12:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Effective View Post
Exploits are going to be apart of any game you play. Taking advantage of it isn't a bad thing. If you're truly playing to be good. Then take every advantage you get as long as you aren't doing something that gives you an advantage so large that you become unbeatable (Like a vanguard at the bottom of a techplant Vbay).
lol I love it!

"It's OK if the only reason you are any good at a game is because you're using exploits, so long as no one catches on that you're using them".

That's fucking epic humor man. Thanks for that!
Old 2011-08-01, 12:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Sirisian
Colonel

Reminds me when I used to be one of the very few players that for months knew how to become invisible at a vehicle bay.

However, I think what he's referring to is using every advantage you can in the game. Basically "if it wasn't supposed to be used they'd remove it".
Old 2011-08-01, 02:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Tatwi View Post
lol I love it!

"It's OK if the only reason you are any good at a game is because you're using exploits, so long as no one catches on that you're using them".

That's fucking epic humor man. Thanks for that!

Not even close to what I said. But I guess that's expected from someone who wants an entertainer class added to planetside 2.

Warping is not a huge advantage. It's still more then possible to track and hit targets who are warping. And if warping was all it took to be good at planetside, then why is dancingsnow, one of the biggest warpers in the game players so easy to kill? The answer is simple, he can't aim. The majority of people who complain about warping and how they only die because of warpers, are fooling themselves over the lack of ability to adapt and adjust to a situation.

When I refer to exploits that create unbeatable advantages. I'm talking about something like this, warping doesn't even compare.

Add to that
  • Making my weapons able to 2 shot any infantry in the game with any weapon (or 1 shot with a sweeper or jackhammer) via a bug with plasma grenades
  • Literally putting vehicles at the bottom of a vbay of a techplant for defense, like say a flail, a prowler, or a vanguard.
  • Putting sensor disruptors inside the outer walls of a base, making it impossible to see enemies on radar
  • Router pads into the walls and at the back of the boxs where they're unreachable and can't be destroyed, meaning you have to find the router itself to kill the pad
  • The aforementioned AMS underneath the AT plant (which is repeatable and easy to do)
  • Being able to shoot vehicles inside warpgates
  • Being able to put traps in the doorways of the stairwells along the walls of a base AND in the back door itself, making the front door the only accessible entrances from the ground floor of the CY, until the traps are destroyed.
  • Being able to hack CC's outside of the room at certain bases and at certain areas

There's a few more exploits like that, but I think you get my point.

Exploits like these are the ones I'm referring to. Thankfully most people don't know how to do them. But naturally idiots like yourself class warping in the same category because their lack of ability makes them want to play "fair". Warping is like powersliding. Lot's of bad planetside pilots complain about powersliding. But any good pilot knows what to do to avoid getting killed by someone powersliding. Fly away and wait for the slide to end, then fly back and in and kill the idiot with no afterburner left.

Now on to the question, do I think planetside 2 should have bunny hopping, or anything along those lines? The answer would be no. Is something like that probably going to end up in game? Probably. Am I going to complain about it? No. Planetside 2 would certainly be a better game if there were both aspects of fast paced twitch shooters, combined with other games that aren't quite as fast. But I already see the game being plagued with broken and poorly implemented weapons and equipment that are in PS1.

My Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/effectivex

Last edited by Effective; 2011-08-01 at 02:49 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion