"The Vanu are techno-religious nut jobs." - Page 7 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where the cake-pie war wages on
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-10-13, 01:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #91
Senyu
First Lieutenant

Re: "The Vanu are techno-religious nut jobs."

The religeon thing is kinda right now that I think about it but I joined Vanu because they were into progress and new tech.

To discover New weapons and New vehicale modifications........to Boldy hover over water where no one has hovered before..........
Old 2011-10-13, 02:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #92
I SandRock
Sergeant Major

Yeah, though as long as its not a classic kind of religion. Like they pray to a god and expect them to hear his prayers and even answer them. But more like buddism. Where the Alien race that left the ruins and technology behind is Buddah. And they revere them as an enlightened superior species that can bring humanity to new heights and out of ignorance.

As for why the VS fights NC. I always saw it as Technology equals Might. VS, to them, is a wild card. That won't succumb to NC rule. NC's agenda doesn't fit that of the VS either. The VS want to 'break humanity from their chains and guide them to a higher state of existence (evolution through technology)'.

Each side needs to have the possibility of being seen as a bad guy too, so i guess thats where the VS religious nutjobery comes in. From the VS perspective its TR/NC propaganda. To the NC/TR the VS put their faith in some aliens nobody is ever seen and blindly (faith) expect them to somehow bring humanity to a better place (Paradise)

Last edited by I SandRock; 2011-10-13 at 02:04 PM.
Old 2011-10-13, 02:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #93
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I hope that they use the VS in the story in much the same way that having a third empire is used in the game balance.

If it were one side versus one side, at some point either the TR or the NC would gain enough of a temporary upper hand to deal a fatal blow to the other side and bring the conflict to an end.

With the VS, or more specifically, with having three sides in the fight, you end up with a situation where if one side gets pushed back to their foothold, the other two sides will have a lot easier time fighting each other than trying to push into the downed sides foothold (from a story perspective). This would give the beaten side an opportunity to regroup and make a fresh assault, resulting in an ongoing struggle.

Obviously this depends on the three sides distrusting each other to such an extent that the idea of two sides teaming up against the third side would be out of the question. This can be easily explained by the fact that none of them wants to be used as a shield by one side against another, only to be left weakened and vulnerable to attack by their former "allies" after crushing the third party.
Old 2011-10-14, 03:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #94
I SandRock
Sergeant Major

Well looks like they explain Vanu Religion as I had hoped so i'm still totally cool with being a barney

FOR VANU!

Last edited by I SandRock; 2011-10-14 at 03:36 AM.
Old 2011-10-14, 05:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #95
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Hail Xenu! I mean... Vanu!

Should we be concerned that our leader is getting instructions from a long dead alien?
Old 2011-10-14, 06:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #96
I SandRock
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by FastAndFree View Post
Hail Xenu! I mean... Vanu!

Should we be concerned that our leader is getting instructions from a long dead alien?
Hear-say! Is there proof they are dead!? Maybe they became one with the planet! Or maybe they ARE the planet (Eureka Anime? ) The planet speaks to our glorious leader! All hail god-king Vanu!

Technology leads to progress
Progress leads to understanding
Understanding leads to peace
Peace leads to evolution
Through evolution my chains are broken.

Vanu shall set me free!

Last edited by I SandRock; 2011-10-14 at 08:32 AM.
Old 2011-10-14, 08:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #97
MadPenguin
Sergeant

Not when these instructions led to the discovery of rebirth, i'd say its about time we gave people the choice of joining us or getting F***** up. In game that is, not in real life
Either way, im happy to be a techno-religious nut job, sounds like fun

Last edited by MadPenguin; 2011-10-14 at 12:10 PM.
Old 2011-10-14, 12:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #98
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

As long as your getting results, I suppose I can understand a bunch of (probably) atheist scientists becoming zealots of a new religion. Kind of hard to argue with results like that.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2011-10-14, 12:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #99
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Also if they really hear a disembodied voice or get psychic visions...
Why would they doubt their alien god-king-emperor. Even after what happened to Briggs
Old 2011-10-14, 01:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #100
MadPenguin
Sergeant

Of course i guess its possible that the chairman guy (cant remember his name) just happaned to be a crazy genius who hears voices in his head and discovered rebirth via his own merit. And now has all of us believing we should go to war because the voices in his head told him so. God its great to be VS.
Old 2011-10-14, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #101
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by MadPenguin View Post
Of course i guess its possible that the chairman guy (cant remember his name) just happaned to be a crazy genius who hears voices in his head and discovered rebirth via his own merit. And now has all of us believing we should go to war because the voices in his head told him so. God its great to be VS.
True. If Einstein said some alien ghost actually told him about relativity, we may have a techno-religious cult today. I mean we already have nut jobs saying aliens telepathically talk to them. They just haven't been right about anything yet. But if 1 of those guys stumbled upon a huge technological breakthrough...yeah it would be a real life VS.

Old 2011-12-10, 02:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #102
Saerain
Private

Sorry for the slight necro, but this has been bothering me. I just can't get a handle on what they mean by religious, here.

To me, religion necessarily rests on faith, and faith is belief without evidence. What's lacking evidence here? That the Vanu existed? No, they're standing on mountains of evidence. That technological progress is good? Please.

If there's some kind of religion in the Vanu Sovereignty about how some guy back on Earth prophesied that this would happen, or that this apparently dead race will some day come back to uplift them, then whoop-de-do, but how that makes the Sovereignty itself religious, from what we know about it, is beyond me. That's about as acrobatic as saying vegetarians are religious because of what the Jains believe.

Let's just say that if we dug up Elohim spacecraft, ray guns, and data logs, it would be pretty odd for our currently perfectly rational disregard of Raëlism to continue.

It's certainly possible that SOE has revamped the VS in a way that is religious, I'm just saying that from what we do already know, it seems like a bizarre description.

Last edited by Saerain; 2011-12-10 at 03:02 AM.
Old 2011-12-10, 02:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #103
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

Don't take it seriously Saerain, it's just the NC and TR looking for some way cover up that they're jealous of our awesome weapons and hover tanks.

But you are indeed correct on the technicalities.
Old 2011-12-10, 03:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #104
Saerain
Private

Sorry, I blacked out there for a second.

Last edited by Saerain; 2011-12-10 at 03:59 AM.
Old 2011-12-10, 04:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #105
Xyntech
Brigadier General

My only problem is how that's the way the VS are described in a more general way. To me, that should just be how the other two empires see the VS, not how the VS portray themselves or how they necessarily really are.

Call the NC terrorists, not freedom fighters, if that's how it's going to be.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion