IMO KillCam killing the Game - Page 11 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You just got rickrolled.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: KillCam in Planetside2?
No-Go 198 72.53%
No Problem 75 27.47%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-01-31, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Raymac
Brigadier General

Re: IMO KillCam killing the Game

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Just look at these kill cams and tell me you've just not learned anything about a player's strategies/capabilities (type: CoD MW). Particularly #3 at 1:00 shows a lot of pre-kill process about ambushes and it's literally only showing a couple seconds.
But that's exactly why I think kill cams would be helpful. They assist in teaching newer players the game and generally raise the gameplay of everyone.

Sure, it can also lead to "There's so and so on the top catwalk at this place. Take him out." But like you said, that kind of information can happen anyways, albiet it could be slightly slower and less specific without kill cams.

Personally, and I know I'm in the minority, I believe the pros of kill cams outweigh the cons, especially of a player can spend skill points to hide his kill cam.

Old 2012-01-31, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
General M
Corporal

killcam would be bad, stick with the body cam.
Old 2012-01-31, 02:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Hating something because it was in Call of Duty

Mounds of essay long responses.

This forum can be quite predictable.

That said, I like Killcam. It's a fantastic tool for getting better at the game and it encourages people to move around. Definitely not a bad thing.
Old 2012-01-31, 03:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by VioletZero View Post
Hating something because it was in Call of Duty

Mounds of essay long responses.

This forum can be quite predictable.

That said, I like Killcam. It's a fantastic tool for getting better at the game and it encourages people to move around. Definitely not a bad thing.
I hate to be "that guy", but aren't you the person who hasn't played Planetside?

Sniping in Planetside was good because it wasn't the insta-gib quick-scoping twitch-shooting sniping of CS, CoD etc. It was the patient hunter. It was about getting into the right position, selecting the right targets and waiting for the right time to take the shot.

Now maybe sniping in PS2 will consist of rushing around, getting quick-scope and no-scope headshots at ranges far closer than a sniper should ever be (20 yards?), in which case yeah, killcams probably won't be a problem.
Old 2012-01-31, 02:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
IceyCold
Master Sergeant

Although I am against Killcams,; they can serve an extremely valuable purpose for another huge issue that people have been screaming about on these boards:

Hackers

If you have a killcam that shows the moment you were killed and notice that they weren't even aiming at you, or watching you through a wall, or suddenly turned to shoot you while cloaked with no visible clue to give you away; then chances are they are doing something.

That all said, I would rather not have them. Although Higby has said in either a video or a post that they are looking into an implant players can get that prevents you from watching a killcam on them, or something along those lines. They DO seem to understand that for cloakers and snipers that Killcams are an issue.
Old 2012-01-31, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

I remember that the reason they're not putting in Bombers or Artillery at the start was because it is not fun to just get killed out of nowhere with no way to defend yourself. And as much as I love Artillery and Bombers, that's a sentiment I agree with. And the same logic applies to cloaking snipers.

Killcam could essentially be the balancing factor for cloaking snipers. So that they can't just sit on a mountain somewhere capping people. Now they have to move around between kills to be as unpredictable as possible.
Old 2012-01-31, 02:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Figment
Lieutenant General

@Arclegger: look what you did, now you got them all focusing on the blue texts! xD

That there are 500 other people to fight only matters if you are confronted with 500 other people at the same time and have to pick out that particular person. We're however not playing memory and if you only face 5-25 people (which will happen), then such information is a lot more valuable.

However, even in a base siege of PS1, if I know a cloaker is around merely through killspam, I'll start a search, people switch on dark light. If someone who died can tell you exactly how this person did this, from which spot, then by the time he tells you over teamspeak, that guy is only a few seconds from that position. Provided he had a chance to move undetected at all.

Teamspeak: "Cloaker, top east base stairs to wall" -> DL and correct angle -> Kill. Instead of "Cloaker, somewhere near east wall" -> DL search bottom and top + surrounding area" -> cloaker has a few seconds more to gain new situational awareness, check if he/she's been spotted and plan an escape.

What I'd personally be more annoyed with though is that people would learn my infil tricks by accidentally seeing them on cam and start expecting them once they know I'm in the killzone. Though a bit rusty, I still quite able to misguide enemies in thinking I went in direction A, while I went to sit in B. Next time they know I might be the one inside, they may not fall for some tricks. That's really something they shouldn't have learned by peaking over my shoulder, but from experience.

I wouldn't want them to know typical safe spots from where I start an approach on them either, because they'd start checking them. And frankly, if they don't do so on their own, they don't deserve to flush me out.

Thing is, I think most people don't want the game to do too much for the player. Intel gathering is one of those things.

A non cam related, but computer assistance related annoyance from World of Tanks is the computer doing the scouting for the player. It is killer on flanking moves as strategy when the computer spots you through spotting rules, it puts a big marker over your head and you on radar for their entire enemy team to see. Whether or not someone had actually noticed you yet. You immediately get targeted by the entire enemy team, who usualy instantly hit you as they got computer assisted aim (little personal skill involved). That doesn't encourage players to become better and sharper, quite the opposite.

Computer assistance for players always impacts gameplay somewhat in the sense it makes things easier for someone. That usualy makes that person lazier and more reliant on the pc. The same is true for intel gathering. Hence I'd go with the least intel providing kill cam myself, though I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over it would any particular type of cam be used.

Btw, I wouldn't mind someone having to give up an implantslot for killcam. I would mind if you would need to give up a slot for killcam obscuring. Personally though I'd prefer the rule: not spotted by player or his buddies: no chance of cam.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-01-31 at 02:59 PM.
Old 2012-01-31, 03:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Aurmanite
Captain

@Arclegger: look what you did, now you got them all focusing on the blue texts! xD

That there are 500 other people to fight only matters if you are confronted with 500 other people at the same time and have to pick out that particular person. We're however not playing memory and if you only face 5-25 people (which will happen), then such information is a lot more valuable.

However, even in a base siege of PS1, if I know a cloaker is around merely through killspam, I'll start a search, people switch on dark light. If someone who died can tell you exactly how this person did this, from which spot, then by the time he tells you over teamspeak, that guy is only a few seconds from that position. Provided he had a chance to move undetected at all.

Teamspeak: "Cloaker, top east base stairs to wall" -> DL and correct angle -> Kill. Instead of "Cloaker, somewhere near east wall" -> DL search bottom and top + surrounding area" -> cloaker has a few seconds more to gain new situational awareness, check if he/she's been spotted and plan an escape.

What I'd personally be more annoyed with though is that people would learn my infil tricks by accidentally seeing them on cam and start expecting them once they know I'm in the killzone. Though a bit rusty, I still quite able to misguide enemies in thinking I went in direction A, while I went to sit in B. Next time they know I might be the one inside, they may not fall for some tricks. That's really something they shouldn't have learned by peaking over my shoulder, but from experience.

I wouldn't want them to know typical safe spots from where I start an approach on them either, because they'd start checking them. And frankly, if they don't do so on their own, they don't deserve to flush me out.

Thing is, I think most people don't want the game to do too much for the player. Intel gathering is one of those things.

A non cam related, but computer assistance related annoyance from World of Tanks is the computer doing the scouting for the player. It is killer on flanking moves as strategy when the computer spots you through spotting rules, it puts a big marker over your head and you on radar for their entire enemy team to see. Whether or not someone had actually noticed you yet. You immediately get targeted by the entire enemy team, who usualy instantly hit you as they got computer assisted aim (little personal skill involved). That doesn't encourage players to become better and sharper, quite the opposite.

Computer assistance for players always impacts gameplay somewhat in the sense it makes things easier for someone. That usualy makes that person lazier and more reliant on the pc. The same is true for intel gathering. Hence I'd go with the least intel providing kill cam myself, though I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over it would any particular type of cam be used.

Btw, I wouldn't mind someone having to give up an implantslot for killcam. I would mind if you would need to give up a slot for killcam obscuring. Personally though I'd prefer the rule: not spotted by player or his buddies: no chance of cam.
This is not good analysis.
It is over thought.
Full of strawman and red herring.

If a cloaker kills you by the stairs, killcam or not you know where you were and can just as easily communicate the position over a voice chat program.

No one will ever be able to over come your skills and tactics because they watched a brief video of you killing them. Not unless they are a better player than you.

It is always better to have a concise point written in as few words as possible. Longer posts tend to muddle your point.
Old 2012-01-31, 03:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Aurmanite View Post
If a cloaker kills you by the stairs, killcam or not you know where you were and can just as easily communicate the position over a voice chat program.
YOUR position and the cloakers APPROXIMATE position, not the cloakers EXACT position. Nuance that saves precious seconds in a search. I find 0.5-3 seconds extra time to look around quite significant. Don't you?

No one will ever be able to over come your skills and tactics because they watched a brief video of you killing them. Not unless they are a better player than you.
If the killcam lasts 5-10 seconds? If it's just two seconds maybe, but a cam tends to be longer. Don't know about you, but I do a lot in 5-10 seconds prior to a kill. I mean TTK is around 1-2 seconds and that's usualy within 3 seconds of me starting my move from ambush. Which means they'd learn where and perhaps even how I lay ambushes in detail. Especially if I just got in that spot as they may well have been chasing me at the time. If they just died, all they'd have known was I killed them through some ambush, but not from exactly how the ambush worked. If they'd be able to learn even part of my movement pattern, they could use it against me, particularly in a short distance chase.

We're not talking the CoD sample of someone obvious randomly running around a corner and firing here. There's a lot to learn in that period of time.

So far, even DT has sufficient trouble following me despite their webs to catch infils. If they could see HOW I move through a base even a bit because one of them ran into say a boomer trap and it showed where I was then, ALL of DT would know in the future.

It is always better to have a concise point written in as few words as possible. Longer posts tend to muddle your point.
Let 'm swim. Short answers are usualy interpretable and ambiguous.

EDIT: Note that the word that's key here is, IF. Point people make though is that anything you see gives you info. keep that info to a minimum.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-01-31 at 03:49 PM.
Old 2012-01-31, 03:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Aurmanite
Captain

YOUR position and the cloakers APPROXIMATE position, not the cloakers EXACT position. Nuance that saves precious seconds in a search. I find 0.5-3 seconds extra time to look around quite significant. Don't you?

If the killcam lasts 5-10 seconds? If it's just two seconds maybe, but a cam tends to be longer. Don't know about you, but I do a lot in 5-10 seconds prior to a kill. I mean TTK is around 1-2 seconds and that's usualy within 3 seconds of me starting my move from ambush. Which means they'd learn where and perhaps even how I lay ambushes in detail. Especially if I just got in that spot as they may well have been chasing me at the time. If they just died, all they'd have known was I killed them through some ambush, but not from exactly how the ambush worked. If they'd be able to learn even part of my movement pattern, they could use it against me, particularly in a short distance chase.

We're not talking the CoD sample of someone obvious randomly running around a corner and firing here. There's a lot to learn in that period of time.

So far, even DT has sufficient trouble following me despite their webs to catch infils. If they could see HOW I move through a base even a bit because one of them ran into say a boomer trap and it showed where I was then, ALL of DT would know in the future.

Let 'm swim. Short answers are usualy interpretable and ambiguous.
I'm not going to do that thing where I quote portions of your post. That's kinda weird.

If someone learns that you attack from behind, that's fine. Unless they have precognition they won't know you're coming before you're there. There will be no sign that you are in the immediate area. If someone gets killed by a cloaker, or notices that someone else did, they will be on the alert anyways.

With regards to reporting someones position...well. You should look into time and relativity. Reporting someones exact position at a point in time is exactly as effective as reporting someones general position at an exact point of time. In either case they change. Again, you're over thinking it.
Old 2012-01-31, 04:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Sifer2
Major

I almost wonder if its one those vanity things where the devs want you to see those pretty detailed character models. So they want to zoom in on them every time you die.

Honestly I would rather not see it. You wont be able to turn them off or go to a server without them enabled. So it will just annoy a lot of people. I would rather see them go an immersion route with this game really. That is everything first person all the time. Even vehicle driving. And when you die just fall to ground then black out.
Old 2012-01-31, 04:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Aurmanite View Post
I'm not going to do that thing where I quote portions of your post. That's kinda weird.
Charmed, I'm sure.
Old 2012-01-31, 03:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

One of the best things about killcam is that it does give away the enemy position of the person who killed them. So that they aren't constantly dying to someone on a mountain somewhere.

This keeps the battles changing and forces people to adapt.

It's more fun to be able to retaliate without having to waste time looking for someone on a mountain somewhere just capping people without threat of being spotted.
Old 2012-01-31, 03:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Graywolves
General

One of the best things about killcam is that it does give away the enemy position of the person who killed them. So that they aren't constantly dying to someone on a mountain somewhere.

It's more fun to be able to retaliate without having to waste time looking for someone on a mountain somewhere just capping people without threat of being spotted.
It keeps the battle changing in a chaotic fashion as the meta-game evolves instantly.

There is no point in finding a good place to snipe because it will be discovered in your first kill. You can't set an ambush and reap benefits because the first trapped individual can tell everyone all the information they need.

This isn't matchmaking, we're fighting a legit war with logistics and intelligence involved. Killcams oversimplifies this in the sense that it tells players where the enemy is, what they are using, and how.

There are going to be outfits devoted to air combat who will be able to respond immediatley to "I found X over at Y due to killcam" and now that area is destroyed because instead of denying the enemy intelligence from killing them, they've been rewarded it.

People will want to play Planetside 2 for something different. Not a killfest. There is no acheived learning curve assistance from killcams because it's ultimatley situational as far as learning goes.

The meta-game just dissolves into everyone being aware of everything and that just makes it dull and feel like CoD no matter the scale.
Old 2012-01-31, 03:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Vancha
Colonel

I think the scale of gameplay you're imagining may be a tad on the low side.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion