Nanite Collection Killstreak - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: May I borrow your left eyebrow?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-04-02, 01:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Cosmical
Contributor
Cosmic Comics

Nanite Collection Killstreak

I stated this idea on another thread, and not to toot my own horn but I think it’s pretty good. So I decided I would make my own, and you guys can post your own ideas of other kill streaks. Also I remember Higby saying months and months ago, that the game will have all your usual FPS standards like kill streaks. But from the video it looked like kill streaks went as far as a percentage experience boost. Which doesnt give me the same engaged feeling, as an instant combat payoff.

Nanite kill streaks, are the justification that when you kill enemy soldiers they drop Nanites from their deconstructing armour and weapons, this can then be collected and spent on items of your choosing.

Ammo
A new grenade
A rocket resupply
An armour patch up
An enemy empires gun (disappears on death)
Nanite resupply so engineers can build an extra emplacement.

Story wise you could justify that future tech needs specific DNA to use, meaning that you could never pick up and use enemy gear, which I hear is the way they’re going anyway.

Of course the game is built around team work, I’m not talking about a game changing alteration that totally eradicates the need for healers, engineers, or resupply. Just a small enough bonus so you feel like you’re gaining a physical reward for kill streaks.

This could even be taken far enough to justify why an Oribital strike can be limited, say a small orbital strike at 15 kills, and Nanite collection, and a large Orbital strike at 20 kills. Meaning that someone sure of their skills can take the risk reward or pushing for a higher kill streak for a more damaging pay off. Story wise you could justify that you need enemy Nanites to triangulate your position or gain their command codes to use an orbital satellite.

Lets not forget that this process would require a player to kill and collect, meaning that snipers could not sit forever on a perch, forever gaining more ammo, as they are not over the enemy bodies. And a ground trooper must remain up close and personal, in a vulnerable position to get this collection and payoff.

As I said above this would go a way to keep the people who love earning enemy weapons alive as well, as you can justify that you need suitable amounts of enemy Nanites and schematics to make a successful version. Perhaps you only get the vanilla gun with no sidegrades, so its more of a stature brag, than anything else, which will disappear on death.

As far as littering the battlefield with useless information, like a Nanite particle effect hovering over enemy bodies, it could just be a client side check. Meaning that only the person who got the kill see’s the effect of the Nanites they can then collect.

Anyway feel free to post other kill streak ideas, I’m sure some of you will argue there’s no point. But I hate situations where I’m on a mad streak, really enjoying myself. Then I have to jog back to some guy who may or may not realise I need an ammo pack dropping.
Old 2012-04-02, 02:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Zulthus
Colonel

Re: Nanite Collection Killstreak

Killstreaks are a reward in itself. You should not get anything more than satisfaction of having mowed through 20+ people. Remember, we're trying to prevent orbital strike spam this time around.
Old 2012-04-02, 02:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

I know that discussing killstreaks may get you crucified here, but I personally do not want to see them in Planetside 2. While killstreaks can provide other things, kill streaks replace other elements that other games are missing. Such as an airstrike, you can call in an airstrike in some games because there is no aircraft. In Planetside, we want to only see things that are controlled by other players directly and since Planetside has aircraft, let's leave it to them to pilot their own.

Now, there are supply aspects that could be used, but I would not want supportive things tied to kills since that is the reward for support players. Especially ones who do not pwn. Supply drops are not a bad idea, but should be a feature unlocked through a cert tree. Even at that, instead of something you can call in, it would be cool to see something like a support vehicle, like an aircraft, that a support player could fly and drop supplies to friendlies who request them.

See, now I have to make my own thread as well.
Old 2012-04-02, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
ThGlump
Captain

Killstreaks are bad. Killstreaks that provide bonuses other than score/xp are nightmare. It just force ppl to killwhoring, camping and stalemates when even side that has clear advantage dont attack in fear of dying and losing streak.
Old 2012-04-02, 02:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Cosmical
Contributor
Cosmic Comics

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
Killstreaks are a reward in itself. You should not get anything more than satisfaction of having mowed through 20+ people. Remember, we're trying to prevent orbital strike spam this time around.
Think its cos im a fan of resource management and tower defense games, having a direct payoff for kills seems really rewarding to me, 20 extra bullets in your mag is hardly a game changer. I would imagine most people like me only realise your out of ammo when you hear the click click.

20 extra bullets might be what it takes for you to fight you way back to friendly troops for a resupply, rather than dieing a pointless death unarmed at the end of a kickass kill stream. I want to be able to push forward with gusto, not worry about staying near the guy with a big backpack.

Also as far as orbital strikes go, 150 combined kills and collections could be enough to limit spam. I dont see many people that would be able to ahceive that in one sitting without playing for like 6 hours, in which case they deserve a strike. And you will be tempted to spend those kills on ammo and grenades inthe mean time.

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
like an aircraft, that a support player could fly and drop supplies to friendlies who request them.

See, now I have to make my own thread as well.
Dont worry we can share!!

Thats a pretty boss idea, maybe sacrifice your counter measures like flares. And have a drop that people can designate need for, guess people will argue you can just land and deploy. But it would be kickass to supply several groups with a drop and a deploy.
Old 2012-04-02, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Stormhall

No way you saw what happened to COD when killstreaks were implemented man when a person gets a killstreak in COD he gets and overpowered weapon like the missle or the chopper and gets a bigger killstreak which leads to more overpowered stuff and an even bigger killstreak and then a nuke to end the game. IMO if you get a 20 killstreak you should be nerfed not buffed like crazy.
Old 2012-04-02, 02:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Cosmical
Contributor
Cosmic Comics

Originally Posted by Stormhall View Post
No way you saw what happened to COD when killstreaks were implemented man when a person gets a killstreak in COD he gets and overpowered weapon like the missle or the chopper and gets a bigger killstreak which leads to more overpowered stuff and an even bigger killstreak and then a nuke to end the game. IMO if you get a 20 killstreak you should be nerfed not buffed like crazy.
So an MMOFPS, that is all about player skill, and rewarding that skill with better weapons, skills and resources. Your saying that you would rather have a slight exp increase, which in a way encourages more camping because people will be worried about putting themselves into danger so they dont lose their higher experience income.

And that anyone who excells should be punished for their skill? Im talking about 20 bullets in your gun, not calling the four horsemen of the apocalypse down.

Orbital Strikes were amazing, i never even gained the ability myself, and i loved that i knew a player was having a damaging and sudden impact on the game world, even when it rained down on my head. If Planetside loses them it will be a damn shame.

Im not asking you to live in fear of EVERYONE HAVING AN ORBITAL STRIKE AT ALL TIMES! Im saying discuss the idea, and think about how it could work.
Old 2012-04-02, 03:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Vancha
Colonel

The problem is, people's idea of killstreak abilities are restricted to those in CoD.

What you need is rewards that improve gameplay and solve problems, rather than causing people to camp or giving them things that are overpowered.

To be honest, a good start would be making them timed. If you have to kill another person within X seconds to stop your streak being "reset", it'd probably stop people camping quite as much.
Old 2012-04-02, 03:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Cosmical
Contributor
Cosmic Comics

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
To be honest, a good start would be making them timed. If you have to kill another person within X seconds to stop your streak being "reset", it'd probably stop people camping quite as much.
Yeh true, good idea aswell. But then youve got a bunch of kill hungry freaks running headlong into anything to keep their streak going.

Atleast my way, you kill and clear out an area. And its only when you feel comfortable enough to collect the Nanites do you get your reward, your reward of more ammo which allows you to carry on pushing. Rather than running back and losing any ground you just gained.
Old 2012-04-02, 03:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Kill streaks reward the individual.

Planetside is supposed to be a team based game.

Originally Posted by Cosmical View Post
20 extra bullets in your mag is hardly a game changer.
Yes, it is.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2012-04-02 at 03:26 PM.
Old 2012-04-02, 03:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
The problem is, people's idea of killstreak abilities are restricted to those in CoD.

What you need is rewards that improve gameplay and solve problems, rather than causing people to camp or giving them things that are overpowered.

Killstreaks that provide bonuses are exactly the same concept at CoD killstreaks. Sure, you might not get some kind of overpowered helicopter, but it's the same thing. And CoD is known for small maps, meatgrind gameplay, and corrupting the Battlefield series.

I understand the need to do things like utilize aim-down-sight mechanics in PS2 but we do not need to be looking to CoD for much more than that.
Old 2012-04-02, 03:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
Kill streaks reward the individual.

Planetside is supposed to be a team based game.
Right, so make the abilities people gain via killstreaks benefit the many, not the individual.

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Killstreaks that provide bonuses are exactly the same concept at CoD killstreaks. Sure, you might not get some kind of overpowered helicopter, but it's the same thing. And CoD is known for small maps, meatgrind gameplay, and corrupting the Battlefield series.

I understand the need to do things like utilize aim-down-sight mechanics in PS2 but we do not need to be looking to CoD for much more than that.
As you quoted me, I'm not sure what you're objecting to.

As I said, people's problem with CoD's killstreaks is that it encourages certain negative practices, such as camping to avoid dying (thus preserving your killstreak), or awarding abilities that are overpowered. That's what my first line was referring to. People read "killstreaks" and they immediately imagine some frustrating game experience they had with dogs, or a helicopter, or a nuclear missile...

Are you saying if killstreaks brought about events that improved gameplay or solved problems as I suggested, you'd still have a problem with them?

I'm not sure what small maps, meatgrind gameplay or "corrupting the battlefield series" have to do with this either. Are you saying killstreaks are only viable in such a setting, or are you simply against this idea because CoD's associated with it?
Old 2012-04-02, 04:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

I don't like kill streak rewards. The benefit of doing well ought to be nothing more than doing well. There's no reason we need to make life easier for the guys who are already dominating the game.

In Planetside in particular it's a bad idea because, as was pointed out, the rewards for killstreaks are almost invariably substitutes for functions that should be covered by teamplay. Dropping supply crates, repairing your vehicle, and conducting air strikes are all activities that we should be encouraging people to work together to make happen, not implementing an automated system to make them redundant.
Old 2012-04-03, 08:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Bonius
Sergeant

X Killstreak = access to the "Killstreak badge, level X". Visible on your armor of course.

Dropping supply crates, automatic repair of your vehicle, automated orbital strikes? Nah.
Old 2012-04-03, 08:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Bonius View Post
Dropping supply crates, automatic repair of your vehicle, automated orbital strikes? Nah.
How did killstreaks get wittled down to these three possibilities?

Anyone want to try coming up with some killstreak rewards that would improve gameplay?

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault