Ground vehicle driving - Page 12 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Pull Pin And THROW!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want 3rd person on ground vehicles?
Yes, full 3rd person on ground vehicles please, situational awareness is key in driving 76 43.93%
Yes, but like in World of Tanks, only show those units that have actually been spotted 16 9.25%
Maybe, but under very specific conditions: [...] 11 6.36%
I don't really care either way 16 9.25%
No 3rd person at all: remove it from aircraft also, otherwise it's an unfair advantage. 28 16.18%
No 3rd person for GV: I'll gladly get run over by/collide with friendlies and stuck on terrain 23 13.29%
Other 3 1.73%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-05-24, 08:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #166
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Re: Ground vehicle driving

Originally Posted by captainkapautz View Post
Best arguement for 3PV in the whole thread.

So much truth. Every vehicle should have a 3PV vanity cam with the HUD disabled.
Old 2012-05-24, 08:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #167
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by ArmedZealot View Post
So much truth. Every vehicle should have a 3PV vanity cam with the HUD disabled.
Infantry as well, man!
Old 2012-05-24, 08:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #168
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I think I'm sold on TPV. As long as the infantry TPV is a close up of the ass.

Female Baneblade... have to ponder that.

Old 2012-05-24, 10:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #169
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Either a vanity cam or a mirror on every other wall. 3pv ftw.
Old 2012-05-24, 11:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #170
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I'll accept 3rd person on infantry if it is exclusively a vanity view, as in: No seeing enemies, even if they would ordinarily be visible in first person. That includes enemy vehicles and deployables. If deployables aren't specifically identified as friendly, they are invisible.

I am strongly against 3rd person view on infantry that can provide anything but a nice view of your character.

I don't really feel strongly either way about vehicle 3rd person. I think it will be possible to drive/pilot without it, but I also don't think it will be hugely exploitable thing if 3rd person is included.
Old 2012-05-25, 09:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #171
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
TPV was rarely useful in PS1 when flying. I used it mainly to watch my Reaver to make sure I looked cool.
As mentioned well before in this thread, in the air (and with a hovering vehicle) you have a much smoother ride though and you will encounter next to no obstructions.

Both meaning first person view is far less of a problem for aircraft. Till you come across a bridge, fly close to a building or try to do a canyon / trench or forest run and have no good perception of distance and dimensions of your aircraft. Similarly for landing.

Ask TotalBiscuit.

Watching yourself is nice as well, not just for the cosmetics though. Especially as a cloaker there's a bonus to survivability, as it provides you a check to see if you can be easily spotted against the background (particularly when moving). This helps you in decision making a lot.
Old 2012-05-25, 10:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #172
Figment
Lieutenant General

Heh while some of us infils complained we turned out to be too visible for others with some of those badges being bright lines and contrasting with the background when moving.
Old 2012-05-25, 01:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #173
Kato
Private

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
Cash shop cosmetic customizations for cloakers might be a hard sell.
Never ..... Cant you see my purple invisibility?
Old 2012-05-28, 06:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #174
HeatLegend
Master Sergeant

I liked the second option a lot, hadnt thought of that before. Then again... the technology of this time SHOULD allow for seeing around ones tank... censors or whatever.
Old 2012-06-08, 06:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #175
SztEltviz
Sergeant

My opinion: 1st person view with a periscope like frame that can move around with decent speed (1 sec for 180 degree), and the turret follows it slowly. Can press an extra key to lock the turret in place. Like WoT's FPS view. About bumping issues, we can get a stabilizer on our tanks. So thats smooth out spikes.
So you can easily check the surrounding, but wont see 360 all time.

About WoT's visibility checks and propagation... idea is ok, but it's current form so broken, that's a joke.Wargaming said they got problems with the number of scanline checks needed in a 15 vs 15 battle, so i don't think it's ok for 2000 players.
Old 2012-06-08, 12:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #176
Raka Maru
Major

I saw 3pv in the videos for both planes and tanks. Is that confirmed as beta only? Will it be removed for ground driving?
Old 2012-06-08, 01:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #177
Kayos
Corporal

I only ever used 3rd person for landing in PS1. Would be nice to have it especially with all the customization we can do.
Old 2012-06-08, 06:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #178
Raka Maru
Major

I'm wanting them to keep the 3PV for vehicles also. Seeing your tank on fire while driving seems to be terrifying awesome!
Old 2012-06-08, 07:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #179
Saintlycow
Sergeant Major

less suicide please
Old 2012-06-09, 01:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #180
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
Wow I didn't know this thread was still kicking. Yeah I noticed that in E3 demos as well. I hope they keep it and it looks like from the survey most would agree.
In the stream, I remember a moment where the player they were watching was trying to drive a Vanguard around and kept crashing into everything. I believe it was Clegg who commented something along the lines of "He needs to switch to 3rd person view."

I lol'd.

I was previously okay with the idea of 3rd person only for aircraft (although I still had prefered it be the same for land and air vehicles, both having 3pv or neither having it), but that shit was hilariously bad.

Please, give 3rd person to all vehicles to prevent this shit. As Higby said, chaos is fun, but that shit is probably taking it too far.

Still no to infantry 3rd person of course. Fuck the few people who think that's a good idea. It's bad and you should feel bad.

Speaking of 3rd person, I'd love to have a little spycam that is easily destroyed, but can allow players to scout around without directly exposing themselves. Maybe as a high tier Infiltrator sidegrade with some heavy tradeoffs.

I'd like to see two variants of it. One that hovered around more at infantry speeds, and another one that flew at faster speeds that could keep up with aircraft.

Of course the true purpose of the device would be as an additional tool that people could use to make PS2 videos.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion