Gameplay: Floating Mountains - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Live from Auraxis
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-06-12, 05:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Tikuto
Major

Lightbulb Floating Mountains

The most alienating continent(s).
The most fascinating continent(s).
The most anti-aircraft continent(s), too!

Science
To back this up vaguely, we're on another planet terra-formed and Earth-like with an important moon except there's other big ass celestial objects. This effects gravity, atmosphere, wind, and all of everything but let's just say that Earth-like moon is stabilizing humanity's place on this planet somehow.

Reference
Refering to Avatar's Hallelujah Mountains they are beautiful and offer heightened levels of aerial combat, spectacular aerobatic stunts and increase ground safety from aircrafts. One of the 'Vanu-like homeland' continents would have this as their advantage. Their aircraft are already very maneuverable able to dodge these floating mountains easier than the other empire's aircraft.

Design
Searhus and Ceryshen had high mountains. This violent Volcano of Searhus and spiked Alpine of Ceryshen would show-off some alien environments beautifully:

Design of Searhus Volcano: Old erupted magma travelled too high became trapped in some magnetic magic collected as whole boulders with some swirling debris. These solidified to create mountains. One super-size floating mountain was knocked and crashed into side of volcano, cracked the tectonic plate and now steams with violent geezers where the ocean trickles-in sometimes, which is all surrounded by alien reef and forest cultivation. It also acts as a duct for lava and magma if ever volcano erupted in future.
· These are exposed platforms where you are HIGHLY vulnerable to aircraft.
· There are debris and big floating mountains. Not aircraft-friendly.

Design of Ceryshen Alpine: The highest peak has lesser nearby peaks. They look like upside-down blinding reflective-shiney icicles because of their gravitational pull towards space and repeated melting from alien Sun, and maybe a bit wriggly. These peaks have a frozen platform which develop from passing clouds at sun-down and melt and sun-rise, and some had accumulated too much weight and broke-off to form contemporary floating icebergs lost amongst dense snow-clouds.
· These are harsh platforms where you may slip and slide off to die.
· There are debris and big floating mountains. Not aircraft-friendly.

Last edited by Tikuto; 2012-07-30 at 09:54 AM.
Old 2012-06-12, 06:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rexdezi
Sergeant

Re: Floating Mountains

There are no
Originally Posted by Tikuto View Post
Vanu-like 'homeland' continents
or any other faction continents, so that doesn't really work.
Old 2012-06-12, 06:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Tikuto
Major

You misunderstand. A continent that has characteristics for one empire and in this case by 'Vanu-like homeland' I mean very alien, maybe some auroras, reserved crystalline Auraxium whatever that purple thing Henry Briggs found. Etc.

Terran Republic characteristics may be very urban with city sky-scrapers, destroyed buildings and industrial smog.

New Conglomerate characteristics may be clear, fresh, free and Whimsy. Green, lush and women having sex on the beach.

Last edited by Tikuto; 2012-06-12 at 06:57 AM.
Old 2012-06-12, 07:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Saifoda
Sergeant Major

You misunderstand. A continent that has characteristics for one empire and in this case by 'Vanu-like homeland' I mean very alien, maybe some auroras, reserved crystalline Auraxium whatever that purple thing Henry Briggs found. Etc.

Terran Republic characteristics may be very urban with city sky-scrapers, destroyed buildings and industrial smog.

New Conglomerate characteristics may be clear, fresh, free and Whimsy. Green, lush and women having sex on the beach.
Hell yeah!

^ that's my contribution to this thread.

+1
Old 2012-06-12, 07:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Dagron
Captain

New Conglomerate characteristics may be (...) women having sex on the beach.
Originally Posted by Saifoda View Post
Hell yeah!

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-06-12 at 07:18 AM.
Old 2012-06-12, 10:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

/make it happen!
Old 2012-06-12, 10:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Eishi
Private

Misc Info

First thoughts when I saw the OP's picture: People jetpacking from one to the other and getting sniped mid-flight.

Very fascinating idea though!
Old 2012-06-12, 12:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
SirDart
Private

Very Cool Idea, only explanation I can give to these would be ground hypersaturated with Hydrogen gas, in a heavier than typical atmosphere, but seriously awesome idea.
Old 2012-06-12, 12:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Saifoda
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by SirDart View Post
Very Cool Idea, only explanation I can give to these would be ground hypersaturated with Hydrogen gas, in a heavier than typical atmosphere, but seriously awesome idea.
Or suspended by a bunch of helium balloons like in UP
Old 2012-06-12, 01:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Dagron
Captain

On a more serious note, i think this may be a little too limiting to ground vehicles/infantry depending on how large the land masses are. Those are still the bread and butter of an FPS game.

Everyone would play as LAs on this continent (maybe even LAs would have a hard time there), unless the lumps of rock were really huge.

On the other hand, if they're too vast it would defeat the whole purpose as it would basically become a slightly different flavor of "full of canyons" or "group of islands" type of continent.

It would have to be done just right... and there is the possibility that there is no such point.

Edit: after re-reading your post, i realized you're likely talking about having huge floating rocks along with debris over a "regular" solid ground continent... sounds interesting and not too different from regular play, which is good.

I kinda like it, despite it being a very typical medieval fantasy type of scenario.

But i guess it would be just a different take on the "Endor-like huge forest that makes flight more tricky" idea that i'm sure i've seen float around here recently and i like that one a little better, sorry.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-06-12 at 01:35 PM.
Old 2012-06-12, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

Flight ceiling issues...like the idea in theory though if it weren't too pervasive.
Old 2012-06-12, 06:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Sirisian
Colonel

I'm glad someone finally made this thread. As long as they are massive and connected with bridges in places I'm fine. They should cover the whole continent. Pretty much everywhere you go if you looked up you should see them. It adds a lot to the vertical gameplay. Also it actually put obstacles for planes something the game is seriously lacking at the moment.

This idea was actually in my year 3 2015 plan for Indar and Searhus to keep them fresh. It's a really nice way to expand the continents without just creating something bad like the caves or the battle islands. Really keeping them over the continents as suggested is the way to go.

Originally Posted by Red Beard View Post
Flight ceiling issues...like the idea in theory though if it weren't too pervasive.
The fight ceiling is 1000 meters currently. They said it was arbitrary.
Old 2012-06-12, 06:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Zolan
Staff Sergeant

I think an ice continent with auroras would be great for the VS.

Either that or a desert continent with auroras.

Something with auroras.

Maybe an aurora continent inside an aurora that has auroras.
Old 2012-06-12, 07:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
I'm glad someone finally made this thread. As long as they are massive and connected with bridges in places I'm fine. They should cover the whole continent. Pretty much everywhere you go if you looked up you should see them. It adds a lot to the vertical gameplay. Also it actually put obstacles for planes something the game is seriously lacking at the moment.

This idea was actually in my year 3 2015 plan for Indar and Searhus to keep them fresh. It's a really nice way to expand the continents without just creating something bad like the caves or the battle islands. Really keeping them over the continents as suggested is the way to go.

The fight ceiling is 1000 meters currently. They said it was arbitrary.
Yeah I didn't really mean based on current levels; just the idea that the flight ceiling above the floating mountains will be substantially lower relatively speaking as compared to the rest of the continent...Not necessarily a big deal; but it may be to some.
Old 2012-06-12, 07:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Zolan View Post
I think an ice continent with auroras would be great for the VS.

Either that or a desert continent with auroras.

Something with auroras.

Maybe an aurora continent inside an aurora that has auroras.
I like that fractal thinking!

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault