eLCD proccesing unit/hardrives! - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: No man really dies they just respawn.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2012-06-11, 08:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Ait'al
Contributor
General

eLCD proccesing unit/hardrives!

I had a cool idea. Could you use eLCD(the new flexible monitors) and use the pixels to replace binary transistors and use bit depth representation for processing over just massive single bits to increase throughput? If you can use it for any you could hypothetically use it for all. It could be a HDD/storage means /processor(s) for all mechanical translation systems and the monitor and RAM. It could be a total computer layered on itself in a flexible monitor you could put on your wall.

Could you think if it was possible how much it could process. A monitor with 1280x1024 has just over 1.3 million as of now. That if it only has a 30 bit representative depth would provide the means to chug potentially 1.3million ^30th data. How feasible is that as a concept?

The HDD would be simple color with exact shade represents massive binary sequence. Then you translate through processors at potentially 1:1 speeds with no ram to produce any and all functioning needed which I bet would be hypothetically unimaginable. Add in the ability to translate to any other possible bit length and other communication means fundamentally and you have one heck of a robust processing unit. The power could be off the scale. And the HDD would just need ones with long term natural lighting storage. It could be off and store a light even when not lit then lit when turned on for data retrieval and change to shade as it changed data. It could slowly turn form one spectrum to another slowly as the data changed. Throw in the ability to only light the bits needed or turn them on when data retrieval or change is needed and you have good power saving features. Let alone if you even need to turn them on. I would think it would depend on the read method. If it needs to see the light it would need to be on. If it can sense the state and hence the shade it would not. But you could have a backup means of data detection for checking the data integrity potentially by reading the light also or something. There could be a lot of potential.

You could also make ones with no write function for permanent archiving and with self generating long term power hypothetically that could last a very long time to store long term info like say the last 2000 years of known literature. It would make books less used(Or at least make another means of long term storage to go with them that could also transmit) and make keeping the paper copies in the libraries easier from lack of use(I would still keep hard copies) and with the wide spread long term storage, if it could be made, could make it easier to find people wiling to allow copies of rare book for on line consumption making a more full library resource electronically. You would just need too storage and copying means.

Just an idea I had. I wonder what you could get out of it if you could even remotely pull it off? There is a lot that could be done depending on the design of the individual LCDs themselves. It would be a massive leap in computing if it was feasible. and potentially a lot of ways to use them. That type of light emitting or phase shifting/storage device could be a very large means of data control. And the more sensitive it gets the more it increases in power(And that would be only one small means of controlling processing power, and other features depending on it's application, and use. There would be huge volumes of ways to change it, I'm fairly sure, potentially). And the more you could find ways to design it the more you potentially could do with it. It could be a lot more versatile than a transistor. The data depth and excuse for large sized units(especially if it's power efficient) could be a big means of overcoming what would be the size difference of small transistors. Not to mention the potential of designing complex devices to do data representation could be phenomenal. It being bigger it would be easier to design more into it and the efficiency rate would hardly ever be based on size for pure computing because potential solutions could make a larger size by redesigning new things onto it exponentially more powerful(There would be a lot more means of increasing functionality and throughput, though size would always be an option). It would be much more versatile design wise in every way than a transistor to use hypothetically. There would be many more things the processing and other features would hang on giving more leeway in design and potential use. etc etc. It could blow transistor designs out of the water. Not to mention how fast can you read and transmit light between units. That could be a problem but if you use light itself who knows. If it's layered on itself there could be a lot of solutions for that. not to mention using the speed of light potentially as your transmission means and media could have benefit even if the intermediate transmission methods were relatively slower. I bet you could get much better than normal PC units.

Last edited by Ait'al; 2012-06-11 at 09:23 PM.
Old 2012-06-12, 10:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info
Re: eLCD proccesing unit/hardrives!

I don't understand what you're talking about at all (and I'm pretty well versed in microelectronics manufacturing) but LCDs are no where near as dense as hard disks or memory chips or processors.
An LCD with 22nm pixels is in the realm of silly.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2012-06-12 at 10:15 AM.
Old 2012-06-12, 11:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Re: eLCD proccesing unit/hardrives!

If you keep looking into more science fact behind your idea, you'll arrive at photonic chips. We already have that technology, and it is currently used extensively in helping process fiberoptic communication signals around the world. They are extremely fast - at least 100 times faster than electronic chips - because they use light to do the job. Unfortunately, the wavelength of light is around 10 000 times larger than electrons, so the chips are around 10 000 times larger than their electronic counterparts.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark

Last edited by Ailos; 2012-06-12 at 11:59 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge