Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 2012-06-16, 03:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #61
sumo
Corporal

Re: I dislike the music and...

music is something i always turn off in ANY game because it is just a distraction. if someone is shooting at me and i don't know from where i dont wan't music while trying to use sound to locate the shooter.
so please don't waste to much resources there.
Old 2012-06-16, 03:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #62
indirect
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by jepaul View Post
So what other things like bad music do you feel are incredible important and things the devs should be spending time on?
Well since devs have NOTHING to do with music...
Old 2012-06-16, 03:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #63
Dagron
Captain

Originally Posted by JimmyOmaha View Post

Round 2

FIGHT!
Old 2012-06-16, 04:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
Dart
Second Lieutenant

How can you guys NOT see the satire dripping from this thread? If you really think the OP is being serous your not ready for the internet, cancel you're contract with your ISP and go read a few books! Start with Catch-22 by Joseph Heller. It'll teach you something about satire.

I only hope Stew, presumably the intended 'target', read this thread. Although he probably missed the joke too and just thinks he has a kindred spirit!

Last edited by Dart; 2012-06-16 at 04:12 AM.
Old 2012-06-16, 08:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
SniperSteve
First Lieutenant

Actually the music sets the tone for the entire game, so yeah, it is crazy important!
Old 2012-06-16, 08:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
MayPeX
Private

The music is for added immersion, it's entirely possible to create a game with very little music. Music in game is dependant on the type of game as well.

Look at RTS's, most if not all feature in-game music consistently playing. Titles like the Total War series, Starcraft series, Age of Empire series, Supreme Commander series and Company of Heroes series. (For starters.)

First person shooters in particular don't feature music in the same way as RTS's, most of the time your main menu, loading screens and cinematics feature music. Maybe at key points in the game music will be played, but most of the time it's just you, the ambience and the sounds of war.

Some shooters will feature more music than others, again depends on the style of the game. Unreal Tournament, an arena shooter often comes equipment with music in the action. Other shooters like Arma 2, the Battlefield series and Call of Duty don't generally have music while in-game. (Multiplayer wise.)

Then we come across RPG's, this applies to all RPG's. Music is taken more seriously here, because the music fits the mood and atmosphere of any given point in an RPG. Namely titles from Bioware and Square Enix do this well in their own way.

Namely the Mass Effect series from Bioware, it's a shooter, but it's also an RPG. Being an RPG, the music needs to capture the mood of the player during the game. It's like an attempt to make you care more about what's happening in the game, thus trying to affect decisions and actions you make.

One shooter though, did things a little different.

Red Orchestra 2, one of the many shooters I know to feature music consistently when in-game. Some can argue the music doesn't fit the nature of the game, you generally have quite minor toned string quartets and symphonies playing in a war environment. Given it's a World War 2 themed game, based around the Russian front. So this could be just what you interpret.

Now for Planetside 2, what we seen so far is not finished content. It's very clear by now. It's a shooter MMO with RPG elements, I think it's nice to give each faction their own theme and style of music. Personally that's great, it separates any similarities from each of them.

I'm going to leave this part short and sweet, so thank you if you actually bothered reading any of the garbage above.

If you don't like the music, it's simple... Mute and create your own playlist. I personally find the current ideas fit the factions and look forward to the finished product.
Old 2012-06-16, 08:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
jepaul
First Sergeant

We have no been move to the boils of the lounge. They don't want our voices to be heard. We must wave our arms higher and higerh until the silent majority is heard. The music can not defend itself so we must defend it! Music is all that matter in an FPS. Damn the man and lets fight on.

Defend the Music@

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=43116
Old 2012-06-16, 08:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
MayPeX
Private

Originally Posted by jepaul View Post
We have no been move to the boils of the lounge. They don't want our voices to be heard. We must wave our arms higher and higerh until the silent majority is heard. The music can not defend itself so we must defend it! Music is all that matter in an FPS. Damn the man and lets fight on.

Defend the Music@

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=43116
Cool story bro.
Old 2012-06-16, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
iburnmycd
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Mepper View Post

1: You say all the best gamers turn down all the sounds and turn the music loud? That is nonsens, ever played a game competitively, or met someone who did?
Whenever you do so, you should ALWAYS turn off the music and ambient sound. You just wanna hear footsteps, shots, explosions, hitsounds etc. Saying else is just bulls***
Originally Posted by sumo View Post
music is something i always turn off in ANY game because it is just a distraction. if someone is shooting at me and i don't know from where i dont wan't music while trying to use sound to locate the shooter.
so please don't waste to much resources there.
Toxin as played in TWL and CAL and proved to be a force to be reckoned with. I played in CAL years ago for a number of years and we played very well with music screaming in the background. It kept us pumped and in the battle. If you have to listen for footsteps, shots, explosions, hit sounds, and etc then you aren't a very good twitch player. Work on your skills and let the music fly. It's a shame you guys rely on your ears so much... what would happen if you went deaf? You'd beg to be able to hear music again.

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
I dislike music in general.
This makes me a

Your life is empty my fellow player

Originally Posted by MayPeX View Post
If you don't like the music, it's simple... Mute and create your own playlist. I personally find the current ideas fit the factions and look forward to the finished product.
How can we create our own playlist? It's not like we can just download music that fits our tastes and play it in the background... that would be copyright infringement and against the law. Therefore, we must rely on PS2 to provide us with epic music to keep us going and immersed in battle.
Old 2012-06-16, 12:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
MayPeX
Private

Originally Posted by iburnmycd View Post
How can we create our own playlist? It's not like we can just download music that fits our tastes and play it in the background... that would be copyright infringement and against the law. Therefore, we must rely on PS2 to provide us with epic music to keep us going and immersed in battle.
Just about every piece of music uploaded/used on youtube breaks many copyright infringements. I also never promoted the idea of downloading music, but no one will stop you.

As to creating your own playlist? I'll help you.

Step 1: Get Itunes.

Step 2: Creating a Planetside 2 playlist, or multiple of em.

Step 3: Add music/downloaded-music to playlist.

Step 4: Shuffle that shizz.

Step 5: Press play.

Step 6: Play Planetside 2.

If you are cool you'll find epic music that is released for free LEGALLY, or you may buy some cool tunes either way is cool.

But totally watch out for the cyber police!

PS: You can totally download music that fits your taste.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge