Higby Streamed PlanetSide2 on Twitch - Page 13 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hey no fair my mousepad is broken!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-10, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #181
SixShooter
Captain

Re: Higby Streamed PlanetSide2 on Twitch

Great vid but they gotta nerf the "facility defended" notices, those things are ridiculous.

Old 2012-07-10, 12:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #182
Baron
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
...Session based shooters are built around the disposable experience, Planetside has persistence.
Couldn't have said this better myself. I can't recall a single BF3 or BF2142 "round" that I've told friends about, or had one of those remember-when moments with some buddies.

PS1 has more than I can count and it's exactly because of what Bloodworth mentions.
Old 2012-07-10, 12:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #183
Reefpirate
Corporal

Originally Posted by Baron View Post
Couldn't have said this better myself. I can't recall a single BF3 or BF2142 "round" that I've told friends about, or had one of those remember-when moments with some buddies.

PS1 has more than I can count and it's exactly because of what Bloodworth mentions.
Right... But does that affect the argument about whether HA's should get a chance to fire rockets when/if they bail out of their tank? I don't understand that part.
Old 2012-07-10, 12:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #184
JHendy
First Sergeant

Re: TwitchTV stream of Matt Higby @ YouTube

Originally Posted by TOCS View Post
Since a lot of people weren't aware of the stream, I was so gentle to Fraps it for your enjoyment. =) The video might be a little choppy and it freeze quite a few times, but it's still pretty watchable at some points.

Enjoy 35 minutes of studio footage: 302 Found (It might still be processing)
You absolute beauty!
Old 2012-07-10, 12:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #185
Reizod
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Comet View Post
I am glad the bases are open. If you have enough people properly defending, you should be able to do it just fine.

The problem with cramping up the bases is you'll only create bottleneck areas where players just funnel to and it becomes a boring stalemate and the tactics used to defend/attack a base will just revolve around clogging the bottleneck areas. That's boring.
Hmmm... so how did PS1 players/vets still cap bases??? Air-drops, air-drops and more air-drops! Also, now with jetpacks, LA's can find other ways in.

Just because something is BORING to you, doesn't mean it's not to others. What's boring to me is when something is designed with the ADD gamers in mind. If teams can't break through a bottleneck... then they don't deserve to cap a base in my opinion.
Old 2012-07-10, 02:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #186
Littleman
First Lieutenant

I'd prefer my base layouts not to basically turn every fight over a base into another grenade spamming, bullet crunching hell in halls 2 people can barely fit in, let alone 200, thank you. Big open rooms/halls with multiple entry ways please. PS1's base fights were god awful cluster-****s.

Your tactics in PS1 involved throwing grenades at the enemy relentlessly but never effectively, or tossing yourself into the grinder hoping everyone behind you will follow the push to the CC/gen/spawn room.

Last edited by Littleman; 2012-07-10 at 02:31 PM.
Old 2012-07-10, 02:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #187
Turdicus
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Reizod View Post
Hmmm... so how did PS1 players/vets still cap bases??? Air-drops, air-drops and more air-drops! Also, now with jetpacks, LA's can find other ways in.

Just because something is BORING to you, doesn't mean it's not to others. What's boring to me is when something is designed with the ADD gamers in mind. If teams can't break through a bottleneck... then they don't deserve to cap a base in my opinion.
Ya its understood that organized outfits enjoyed a type of game that was very different from what the so called Zerg was subjected to. It seems that one of the goals of PS2 was to encourage the zerglings to do things other than sprint into the nearest bottleneck. With so many different ways in and so many places to spawn from the basic player base will be in many different places instead of like...two.

I think outfits being the elite of the PS world is unchanged, perhaps even more true! There are now more tactical and strategic situations to exploit and specialize in, and outfits are still gonna be the game changers.

The new bases make the battlefield (more) unpredictable, and hopefully more interesting.
Old 2012-07-10, 04:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #188
Comet
First Sergeant

I've heard a lot of complaining about how god awful most base assaults were in PS1. Sure, not everyone will think so but I would wager that open bases will bring in more tactics and reward more co-ordination than cramped bases.

Don't take what I said so personally Reizod. It had nothing to do with "ADD gamers". You can still air drop on to bases. The open concept just allows more tactics and requires even more organization and team play. What's bad about that?
Old 2012-07-10, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #189
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Base layouts and terrain will be much easier to modify in PS2 compared to the first game, so I wouldn't be surprised to see frequent tweaks to different bases and hex zones to improve the balance of fights just like we see individual multiplayer maps get updates in other shooters. So it wouldn't surprise me if bases end up being too impossible to defend that they could change things up a bit to improve the situation.

Personally, I don't think it will be an issue, but I'm far from an expert.
Old 2012-07-11, 03:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #190
Voltar
Private

Originally Posted by Flaropri View Post
I'm not clear on why bailing from vehicles is good for single-battlefield and session-based games but not for large-scale persistent games.
i don't know that it's necessarily alright for bf either. if i wasn't at work i could link a video yall have probably seen from bf3 of the guy in the [f-18?] that bails, snipes the pilot of another plane and then gets back in his own jet. whereas that is completely AWESOME to watch, it's a little rediculous to experience. i think your success driving a vehicle should be based on your skill driving it and not some kind of novelty mechanic.

i used to think of the complaints about no entry/exit animations in the same way i thought about rp'ers demanding a walk-toggle. i think this is a good illustration of a practical reason that they should add that or something like it to the game.
Old 2012-07-11, 11:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #191
Reizod
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Comet View Post
I've heard a lot of complaining about how god awful most base assaults were in PS1. Sure, not everyone will think so but I would wager that open bases will bring in more tactics and reward more co-ordination than cramped bases.

Don't take what I said so personally Reizod. It had nothing to do with "ADD gamers". You can still air drop on to bases. The open concept just allows more tactics and requires even more organization and team play. What's bad about that?
Not taking anything personal. Nothing bad about the open concept. It's just that it seemed like you was trying to justify the new base design/layout by saying the previous layouts was "boring", that's all.

But so far, you guys have made some great points about the new layouts that I totally agree with.
Old 2012-07-12, 01:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #192
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by SixShooter View Post
Great vid but they gotta nerf the "facility defended" notices, those things are ridiculous.
Higby's already commented on them. In the footage, it was set to notify the whole continent of captures/defenses. They're looking to tweak to just your current hex's facility notices, or maybe current and surrounding or something.
Old 2012-07-12, 01:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #193
BigBossMonkey
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by kaffis View Post
Higby's already commented on them. In the footage, it was set to notify the whole continent of captures/defenses. They're looking to tweak to just your current hex's facility notices, or maybe current and surrounding or something.
It's supposed to only be the hex you're in, it's just bugged atm IIRC.
Old 2012-07-12, 01:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #194
sumo
Corporal

if higby had been playing vanu he would probably have been a pro badass. but he choose to be a scum! <3
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion