Higby on Tank Balance - Page 9 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Lets go, the enemy wont know!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-02-01, 05:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #121
Gatekeeper
Sergeant Major

Re: Higby on Tank Balance

Originally Posted by ShadetheDruid View Post
Based on the post above, how about this:

1. Remove Magrider hover bonuses from the chassis upgrades.
2. Make their default hover just high enough so they don't get stuck on shit.*
3. Buff Vanguard/Prowler/Lightning traction, and nerf Magrider "traction" so the ability of tanks to traverse slopes semi-converges on a sane point.

Would this be something that's acceptable to everyone?

*And while we're at it, can we do the same with the Lightning by changing the tracks so it doesn't beach itself in ditches? All they'd need to do is uncover the tracks a bit more at the front and back so the armour doesn't get caught on terrain.
Please, yes, do this now. I am so sick of my Lightning getting stuck

While we're at it, can we add an automatic parking brake to all vehicles so that if you get out of them on a slope they don't roll/slide away from you?

And maybe change the friction code so that vehicles don't just endlessly slide down hills in general? I don't mind if a hill is too steep to climb - but making my tank surf down the whole bloody thing, covering a large chunk of the map before I can regain control, is just demented.

(I once surfed all the way from the hill by Crossroads to the foot of the Crown. That was not a fight I was happy to surf into.)

Old 2013-02-01, 05:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #122
zauberkraft
Private

Haha these changes are amazing !
Start whining fagrider :-D
Old 2013-02-01, 06:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #123
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Assist View Post
If you get beat by a Magrider in close combat 1 on 1 you're going to need a lot more than a Magrider nerf, maybe removing the gun completely from the Magrider so they can only ram you will help.
Lol, actually, I rarely die to Mags in my Van, I don't put myself in a position that helps them to.

I was making a funny

Old 2013-02-01, 06:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #124
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by BruTaL View Post
All this crying for nerfs/buffs is silly the whole point of this game is different factions with their own traits.

Magriders:Range - Meant to fight afar not up close.
Prowlers:Siege - Meant to fight in numbers.
Vanguards:Absorb damage - Meant to be aggressive all up in your face.

Devs should give each tank their own cert tree for what their meant to do,it shouldn't be the exact same tank.People will always cry about their factions isn't the best everything.
The Prowler is meant to be used in numbers? What? How on earth does that make any sense?

I do agree that every MBT should have a clear and defined "role", besides obviously being focused on tank vs tank combat. While I wouldn't mind seeing a more fleshed out role tree to cert into, this would require there to be more equipable options, I do think that the only MBT that doesn't seem to have a clearly defined role is the Prowler. I still don't know exactly what their idea behind the lock down is, doesn't seem to fit in all that well.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-02-01, 06:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #125
superseohyun
Private

Originally Posted by PredatorFour View Post
The problem with stats like this is that it is not the be all and end all, flat out telling you how it is. Don't get me wrong it's good to know the data but it isn't the true reflection as to what's going on ingame.

Them K / D figures for example....

- Do they take into account who is generally the most popped/popular faction across all servers ???

- Do they take into account who defends more / or attacks more ?

- Do they take into account who has generally more organised outfits across the servers who roll tanks together ?

- The fact that a crewed mag is more accurate/deadly from range i.e. a sniper tank ?

All these factor's can make a big difference, there's more to these stats than just "nerf magrider! it killed moar enemyz tanks!"
exactly. thats why they only did small buff and small nerf, then wait to see how it works out. I mean if you only balance stuff based on that K/D ratio, Mag needs at least 50% hp nerf or something. 1.71: 0.87 : 0.63 is no joke.

i think what contribute to that terrifying K/D ratio is the fact that mag is much superior (but not to the point that their K/D is almost 3 times of prowlers) at range where most tank battle take place, so a lot of TR NC players just give up pulling out tanks to deal with Vanu tank zerg. So its always one-sided battle. Vanu tank zerg will always have not only the best tank, but also the number on their side.
Old 2013-02-01, 06:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #126
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
The Prowler is meant to be used in numbers? What? How on earth does that make any sense?
Indeed, it doesn't make sense at all: they all require the same manpower. If the Prowler was to be used in numbers, the Magrider and Vanguard would require more manpower and less units to get the same stats per player.

Since they're all soloable vehicles, sadly, that'd be a rubbish suggestion.

Last edited by Figment; 2013-02-01 at 06:41 AM.
Old 2013-02-01, 06:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #127
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by superseohyun View Post
..mag is much superior (but not to the point that their K/D is almost 3 times of prowlers) at range where most tank battle take place, so a lot of TR NC players just give up pulling out tanks to deal with Vanu tank zerg. So its always one-sided battle. Vanu tank zerg will always have not only the best tank, but also the number on their side.
This certainly meshes with my experience. If I see a lot of Magriders out in a field, i'm reaching for my lock on launcher, not my AP Vanguard.
Old 2013-02-01, 06:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #128
Bunk
Corporal

Nooo not my vulcan
Old 2013-02-01, 07:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #129
Dkamanus
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
Lol, actually, I rarely die to Mags in my Van, I don't put myself in a position that helps them to.

I was making a funny
I lost once to a Magrider, and the guy was an excelent driver. I myself ain't a bad driver, but the way he used the mag was supreme and I was totally outplayed. Learned massively from my mistake and since then haven't been destroyed by a Magrider in 1v1 situations.

Thank you magrider fans ^^

To be honest, turret stabilization ins't something the other two factions need. Having the most hard hitting weapons, it cna stay as a vanu exclusive so it can retain its manuverability.

I do agree that every MBT should have a clear and defined "role", besides obviously being focused on tank vs tank combat. While I wouldn't mind seeing a more fleshed out role tree to cert into, this would require there to be more equipable options, I do think that the only MBT that doesn't seem to have a clearly defined role is the Prowler. I still don't know exactly what their idea behind the lock down is, doesn't seem to fit in all that well.
Considering that the TR have the best infantry in the game, units like the Prowler and the TR MAX have lockdowns to support the advance of that infantry. Having established a beachhead, so to speak, having 2~4 Prowlers in lockdown mode are a nightmare to deal with if they have the territory advantage. All those shells hurt a lot.

Once the infantry + some armour has advanced, the LD prowlers unlock and move up. This is an interesting ability, but VERY situational. I would suggest people to cert it but not use it in the same way the Magburner/Vanguard Shield should be used. LD turns the Prowler the best support/suppressive fire tank compared to the other two.

Last edited by Dkamanus; 2013-02-01 at 07:25 AM.
Old 2013-02-01, 08:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #130
BruTaL
Private

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post

Prowlers are siege tanks not tanks that fight in the front lines hence in numbers,"strength in numbers" tr motto right.
Old 2013-02-01, 08:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #131
Vasquez
Private

Funny SOE. The Prowler and Vanguard are fine as they are. The Magrider ist the imbalancing factor here. But as always: "nerfing" gets you a lot screaming kids so they are buffing all the other stuff until the little bit of infantry gameplay is completley gone.

Last edited by Vasquez; 2013-02-01 at 09:05 AM.
Old 2013-02-01, 08:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #132
Hamma
PSU Admin

They are not fine as they are

Solution: Remove the Magrider!

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-02-01, 09:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #133
Vasquez
Private

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Solution: Remove the Magrider!
Or this!!^

Anyway. As the majority of the Vets stated pre PS2 launch, it was a failure to make the MBTs avaiable without Certification and in addition they transformed them into one man vehicles. I really miss the old shool infantry zergs
Old 2013-02-01, 09:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #134
Rockit
Banned

Just do like The Enclave does. Everybody just hoof it with annihilators and an AMS behind them and lay waste to any ground or air unit they come across. But seriously it's those kind of ops that can cause imbalances for everyone else so they have to be careful about how much they nerf/buff at one time as to accommodate many playstyles. Hell I think even as it is they are making some big stat changes.

Last edited by Rockit; 2013-02-01 at 09:37 AM.
Old 2013-02-01, 09:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #135
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Higby specifically stated he would not be nerfing the maneuverability. EVERY other tank can point it's gun towards what it is shooting at, regardless of terrain. The Magrider has to turn towards it's target in order to fire, the Magrider does not have a separate moving turret like the other tanks. Why do you people keep ignoring that? There's a reason we have the maneuverability on the tank and it's because we don't anywhere close to the maneuverability on the main gun.

edit: Yes to the first one, no to the second one.
Hover height is a mobility feature, it, in effect smooths out terrain. Yes, every tank can point their gun at a target, only the mag does so but always while facing its front towards the target, while also being able to strafe.

In a 1 v 1, the mag will always be able to get behind another tank, and never expose its rear, unlike all other tanks.

Your statement about the the supposed weakness of the front fixed gun is false. Yes, the gun is fixed front, but the combined turning and maneuverability of a mag far outpaces any rotation ability of a turret mounted one. It turns faster, faced its strongest armor, and can outpace all other tanks in terms of getting behind the target.

This is before we even take into account, Terrain effects the aim of the other two tanks more than a mag, and the other two tanks do not leave a visual obstruction in front of any targets after firing.

Yes, thees are all the upsides to the tank, and are its greatest strengths. However, this incarnation of the mag is too good. It needs to be brought down a notch.

As for the statement of everyone running HE rounds. I do not, I use the stock cannons and a Vulcan and racer. I am configured as a tank killer. Mags are the only tanks not playing by the tank game, they are the hardest to hit due to low profile and speed/strafing and need only land one shot to my two ( Prowler ). They can run ( Literal )circles around me while still doing damage, most times to the rear, and they require less skill to pilot due to the fixed cannon ( No keeping track of Gun and body positioning ). They nearly ignore Terrain effects on aim, have no drop to contend with and as other have mentioned can be where no other tank can. They can also runaway with the greatest of ease.

I would ask that you step out of the Magrider and try the other faction tanks.

Higby specifically stated he would not be nerfing the maneuverability.
If someone in a position of decision, who changes that decision due to information and changing data affects you this much. I propose that you have a long hard life ahead of you, filled with disappointment.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2013-02-01 at 10:03 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion