I LOVE vehicle spam, it's NOT the problem of this game - Page 10 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Can't Touch This
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-02-22, 07:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #136
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Re: I LOVE vehicle spam, it's NOT the problem of this game

Originally Posted by Rolfski View Post
Nobody knows exactly what SOE was thinking when they announced this game.
When they announced this game it was merely going to be the f2p overhaul of PlanetSide, not a reinvention of the wheel.

Old 2013-02-22, 08:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #137
Rolfski
Major

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
When they announced this game it was merely going to be the f2p overhaul of PlanetSide, not a reinvention of the wheel.
Define "f2p overhaul of PlanetSide" please. What exactly was the overhaul they had in mind? Do you know? Is it somewhere documented? Do we have a detailed idea of how they think this game should be different from PS1? Does some one actually got a sight on the original design document?

So far, I have only heard the devs saying it's going to be different from PS1 but how? I don't know. Guess what? They don't know either because that's exactly the plan. Their only idea was to design a basic solid shooter on a mass scale and go from there. There is no further plan because we are the plan.

I saw the Azure Twilight dev session about meta game and the way these guys were still struggling about how to implement a basic meta game months after launch can only lead me to the conclusion that reinventing the wheel is part of the design philosophy of this game.
Old 2013-02-23, 04:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #138
Figment
Lieutenant General

Define "f2p overhaul of PlanetSide" please. What exactly was the overhaul they had in mind? Do you know?
You wern't there at the time, but initially, "PlanetSide next" (a tweet sentence meaning PlanetSide was next in line, that became a working title for the project) was to be primarily a graphical update of PS1 that would go f2p, like EverQuest II. New textures and some new tools and a new sales model to bring PS1 into the next decade. They at first explicitly didn't even want to go with the name PS2.

All that is by word of Smedley tweets.

While they were working on it, they decided to create an entirely new game based on the new engine that became available: forgelight.
Old 2013-02-23, 05:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #139
Redshift
Major

Figment is correct btw rolfski, originally this was just a graphical update of ps1, that then changed into a new game,
Old 2013-02-23, 05:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #140
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Define "f2p overhaul of PlanetSide" please. What exactly was the overhaul they had in mind? Do you know? Is it somewhere documented? Do we have a detailed idea of how they think this game should be different from PS1? Does some one actually got a sight on the original design document?
They didn't get far with it before they decided a whole new game would be easier.

Yes, I said easier.

Old 2013-02-23, 06:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #141
Seafort
Private

They didn't get far with it before they decided a whole new game would be easier.

Yes, I said easier.
Do you mean easier or dumbed down? As that's what we have now, a dumbed down game that fits the console ethos of streamlined but not the pc ethos of deep and tactical gameplay.

I hate the massive vehicle spam we have now but I'm not against vehicles per se. I just think the whole vehicle spawning should have limits like in a real war where resources matter and if you run out of resources when you lose territory you're on foot until you regain that territory.

So many people want an easy time in PS2 that they aren't willing to work for the territory control. The vehicle zergs should never be allowed in any bases. Infantry should be the meat of the battlefield with vehicle support from tanks and aircraft not the other way around like it is currently.

The whole slogan for PS2 is "Bigger is better" and that means small squads and outfits are getting pushed more and more to the side till they leave the game. I'm on the cusp of leaving PS2 as Brutal Deluxe is a small outfit and we really don't fit into the PS2 gameplay as there is no back hacking or spec ops or anything we can do to make a difference for small groups.

It's all about the zerg and I'm sick of it. I hope SOE realise they are losing alot more small outfits that once were dedicated to PS2 and will be left with zerg outfits that will most likely move onto the next big MMO/FPS once they are bored with PS2.
Old 2013-02-23, 06:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #142
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

What I was talking about has fuck all to do with what you are talking about.

Old 2013-02-23, 06:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #143
Seafort
Private

Well the OP title was "I LOVE vehicle spam, it's NOT the problem of this game" and I was talking about vehicle spam and other offshoots from that.

Making an entirely different game from what PS1 was I guess is easier from a financial standpoint (easier to milk money from ) but it certainly isn't easier going forwards as their players want a lot more depth to the game as it is now so they are having to change a lot more things in PS2 from what they would have done if they had stuck with the PS1 design.

But, hey, lets change the topic and talk about how easy it is to make an entirely new game to what the OP topic actually was and use swearing to emphasise your point
Old 2013-02-23, 06:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #144
Figment
Lieutenant General

What I was talking about has fuck all to do with what you are talking about.
Yeah he misinterpreted you.

But it wasn't "easier", they said they simply got exited about the potential of the game and wanted to make a new game that took full advantage of it.

But Seafort is also right in that they wanted to "streamline it", unfortunately, they didn't really have a good understanding of what had to be streamlined and how. :/ See Galaxy AMS.
Old 2013-02-23, 07:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #145
JeffBeefjaw
Corporal

I have always enjoyed vehicles in planetside, the mass fights and sheer spectacle of what's possible in the right situation. I would like to see less minor nothingy territory basses and some more open uninterrupted landscape to allow for some open field fights though.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion