News: IGN.com DCU and PS2 going to PS4 - Page 10 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's not all in your mind
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-06-06, 02:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #136
artifice
Staff Sergeant

Re: I pity the PS4 crowd

Originally Posted by AThreatToYou View Post
Well, I get your point.
Sad that PS2 is a 32-bit app.
The PS4 is surely 64-bit.
We can hopefully get a 64 bit client out of the port to the PS4. We are getting better multicore support.
Old 2013-06-06, 02:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #137
Tom Peters
Master Sergeant

Re: IGN.com DCU and PS2 going to PS4

Originally Posted by EvilNinjadude View Post
Don't bother, Tom Peters isn't happy if he doesn't have anything to complain about.
What else is there to do but complain about what's wrong?

I mean, it's not like they're doing that much right that I can pat them on the back about.
Old 2013-06-06, 02:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #138
Dreamcast
Major

Originally Posted by artifice View Post
We can hopefully get a 64 bit client out of the port to the PS4. We are getting better multicore support.
Yes Yes.
Old 2013-06-06, 02:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #139
Obstruction
First Sergeant

people with ps4s can still run ts3 on their mac or whatever bro.
Old 2013-06-06, 02:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #140
Mordelicius
Major

DCUO PS3 and PC servers are separate. What's new? The only difference is that, apparently, PS3 DCUO has alot of business protocols/red tape to follow as opposed to PC.

And PC has better players since consoles are a gateway to gaming.
Old 2013-06-06, 02:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #141
EvilNinjadude
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Tom Peters View Post
What else is there to do but complain about what's wrong?

I mean, it's not like they're doing that much right that I can pat them on the back about.
They did a lot of stuff right in making this game in my opinion, if you're gonna complain about their more recent choices, you're welcome to, I'm not tired of the game just yet.
Old 2013-06-06, 02:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #142
EVILoHOMER
Major

I pity fans of this game, all PS4 development means is it'll slow down PC development and you'll probably have to wait for content to be finished on both systems before it is released. You cannot simply just release content on consoles, it all has to be passed through Sony or Microsoft. Not only that but as the PS4 ages, the game will be held back by technical limitations of that console.

What I don't get though is the PS4 is only packing an 8 core 1.6ghrz AMD cpu that was made for low powered laptops.......... it isn't a powerful CPU and yet this game is CPU heavy. Though I spose this game isn't even multi-threaded and that is why it runs like shit for AMD users cause the I7s have much better single core performance.

I really don't get why so many games aren't multi-threaded.

Last edited by EVILoHOMER; 2013-06-06 at 02:41 AM.
Old 2013-06-06, 02:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #143
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

For the sake of the age old argument Console vs PC, I want the PS4 ver of PS2 to share the same servers as the PC version.

More players to shoot at, We get to squash the PC vs Console Argument and more...

Another thing is do we want to divide the player base? Planetside2 is largely alone in the MMO-FPS market. If players want to play a grand scale epic MMO-FPS battle, they have to go to Planetside2 for PC. Now they can just go to Playstation4 and see player base/player content be divided by a age old PC vs Console argument, which community will be larger and have interesting fights?

And if the PS4 ver fails to provide a truly epic battle experience because of the off chance of lack of players, could that hurt the PS2 PC community? would this effect SOE' willingness to fund PS2? There only going to invest money in what makes them money...

Competition with itself might be healthy and it might not be, PS2 PS4 dev team competing with the PS2 PC dev team for players.

/MyRant

Last edited by HereticusXZ; 2013-06-06 at 02:43 AM.
Old 2013-06-06, 02:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #144
Artimus
Master Sergeant

I think game updates will probably happen on the PC version first, and then port over to the PS4 version. Why would there be 2 seperate development teams? Whatever is on the PS4 version will be on the PC and vise versa.. Game updates taking longer? Doubt it. If anything they'll come quicker now that the games demand will soon go up.

I would hope, but highly doubt that PC players will be able to play on PS4 with there same accounts and the reverse, if thats the case then I will buy a PS4 no doubt. I would finally get to show my console buddies wtf I have actually been ranting on about for the last year.

Last edited by Artimus; 2013-06-06 at 02:45 AM.
Old 2013-06-06, 03:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #145
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by artifice View Post
Why would it be dumbed down? A large limitation to MMOs is RAM and as of right now the PC client is gimped because the vast majority of PC gamers use Windows XP which is why the client is 32 bit. If anything, the PS4 version will have a RAM advantage.
16 gig ram. Suck on that. (Would have been 32 but I lack money)

But seriously (was serious about the ram btw), it'll be because of a not so efficient internet I'd imagine. Speaking of which, I doubt console gamers will even have forums. And thus, not be able to input info to the devs. Or at least, most won't because they stick to gamepads. There's a lot to consider here.

Also, EW, XP! No one in there right minds uses XP now. Also, no one in there right minds has a 32 bit either. Not anyone that cares about serious gaming anyway. @.@

Last edited by Taramafor; 2013-06-06 at 03:31 AM.
Old 2013-06-06, 03:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #146
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
Not only that but as the PS4 ages, the game will be held back by technical limitations of that console.
To be fair, I don't think they have to worry about that for a good 5 years since it's just coming out.

I say that as a PC supporter.
Old 2013-06-06, 04:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #147
Maidere
Sergeant

Honestly, after reading some comments around, bringing PS4 people on the PC servers and giving them a good aim assist so they will shoot those arrogant PC gamers ez mode sounds like a good idea to me. Not gonna happen anyway.
Old 2013-06-06, 05:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #148
Shogun
Contributor
General

the only thing that i see coming is a loss of players on the pc version, if we can´t play on same servers but use the same accounts and chars.

gamers who play it now and plan on buying a ps4 will all be lost for the pc servers.

because the ps4 version will be stable, have no graphic glitches and will be lag- and fps-optimised.

if the ps4 doesn´t support usb keyboards and mouses, sony will sell their own substitutes (like they did with harddiscs or memory cards) because they surely know about the pc vs console wars and the main argumentation of the pc side.

and ps2 for ps4 will not be dumbed down, because the game was already dumbed down to the max before release. what´s there to be dumbed down some more? it´s already as casual as all the other console shooters, only a little bigger.

if you want the ps4 release to not harm the pc version, we need to play on the same servers, or the games have to be seperatet completely, limiting your account to pc and forcing you to make a new account on ps4 and rebuy all your stuff.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-06-06, 05:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #149
Dodgy Commando
Staff Sergeant

Normally PS4 should support keyboard and mouse input IMO. I make this assumption purely on the fact that PS3 does.

However this requires the game to implement it (e.g. Dust 514).

If this isn't the case, I severely doubt we can get both communities on the same servers (even if I believe this would be the best situation due to the nature of the game).

Last edited by Dodgy Commando; 2013-06-06 at 05:21 AM.
Old 2013-06-06, 05:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #150
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Dodgy Commando View Post
Normally PS4 should support keyboard and mouse input IMO. I make this assumption purely on the fact that PS3 does.

However this requires the game to implement it (e.g. Dust 514).

If this isn't the case, I severely doubt we can get both communities on the same servers (even if I believe this would be the best situation due to the nature of the game).
ps2 already supports mouse and keyboard, so it´s safe to assume the ps4 version also will. (if it´s not a standard on ps4 to connect mouse and keyboard and assign keys that you can use your keyboard and mouse with any controller game)

the problem i see with both communities on one server is the infamous "aimassist" all controller people need to be able to hit anything. this would be a gamebreaker, especially on a mixed server where half of the population gets to use aim assist and the other half doesn´t.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!

Last edited by Shogun; 2013-06-06 at 05:26 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion